Could A&T Replace Jackson State in the SHC???

westcoastaggie

Indeed, with Pro Football Hall of Famer Deion Sanders as head coach, Jackson State University has been the catalyst for a renaissance of HBCU athletics, bringing millions of dollars to the university and the community and becoming the cornerstone of a new deal with the SWAC in Birmingham, Alabama.

That deal prompted Jackson State to end its long-standing Southern Heritage Classic in Memphis, Tennessee, usually in mid-September, to play in three SWAC games in Birmingham over the next three years.

The opening in Memphis has prompted some talk of N.C. A&T playing in the game in Memphis. Hilton told The Undefeated that he has been contacted by the Southern Heritage Classic and plans to return the phone call.

Any such pairing would be for the 2023 Southern Heritage game, as Jackson State announced Monday that it would play in the classic for one last time in 2022.

Interesting news

MEAC made a proposal for us to come back and we turned them down. New Commissioner throws shade.

Fred Jones and the SHC has contacted A&T for a potential game in the Southern Heritage Classic

A&T don't really travel ... in my opinion they only kinda showed up for the Celebration Bowl like 4/5 hour drive away. The SWAC team outdrew them every year it seems

Alcorn, Southern, FAMU, Grambling, UAPB is the only way to go ... even then I doubt the numbers and interest would rival JSU vs TSU.

A&T don't really travel ... in my opinion they only kinda showed up for the Celebration Bowl like 4/5 hour drive away. The SWAC team outdrew them every year it seems

Alcorn, Southern, FAMU, Grambling, UAPB is the only way to go ... even then I doubt the numbers and interest would rival JSU vs TSU.

really-willy-wonka.gif

Thousands come to Memphis on SHC weekend that don't go near the stadium. No one will draw like Jackson State as far as the games goes. The only time you want to visit Memphis is for the classic and Memphis in May.

Classic weekend is going to be fine.

Lets see, in those early years of the SHC, it was TSU v. Mississippi Valley State, Jackson State and Grambling. HOWEVER IT BECAME the Jackson State/Tennessee State Rivarly/Classic/Extravaganza/BoomBoolahDaDa! ;) Can that be duplicated with another school at the same magnitude as the current matchup? I guess thats up for debate. Will the promoters bring in other schools and just change up the opponents every year vs. TSU? Honestly, outside of the SWAC schools, I don't see many MEAC fans showing up for it. BUT, I could be wrong.

I am very eager to see what becomes of it as JSU exits the SHC.

Alcorn travels, but them may take a little time. SU always travels good. Both would be right up 61/I-55. You are right, A&T don't travel. Just showed up at Celebration Bowl, mostly just to come to Atlanta.

All of them are good choices. A&T don't travel, that is bunk. I have been to seen them a few times in Norfolk, VA and they come by the bus loads.

Back