Construction irks Tigers

Blacknbengal

Construction irks Tigers

Roar of machines serenades JSU on makeshift fields
By Mark Alexander
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

Jackson State football coach Robert Hughes isn't opposed to the new track being built around the Tigers' main practice field, or the new sprinkling system being installed on the field itself.

He just would've preferred that the construction take place some other time, like some time other than the start of fall practice.

"This is something that could've been done anytime," Hughes said Tuesday as his team went through its first practice amid the roar of tractors, back **** and welding machines. "This noise is terrible."

Not only were things noisy Tuesday, the construction also meant JSU wasn't able to practice on its main practice field. Even if the construction is finished by the first or second week of September as planned, the Tigers will not have the opportunity to practice or scrimmage on the field before its Aug. 31 season opener at Southern Miss.

JSU practiced on adjacent fields Tuesday. Neither are as nice as the main practice field, which is lighted. One covers 100 yards but slopes off on one side, the main reason it has been used primarily by the defense in the past. The other field, located near the coaches' offices, is 65 yards long.

A group of workers spent Tuesday afternoon constructing makeshift goalposts, then slapped on coats of bright yellow paint.

The track is part of the Walter Payton Athletic Complex that is now under construction. The complex will cover 22 acres on the JSU campus and include baseball and softball stadiums, soccer fields, a weight room and locker room facility and an athletic/academic center.

JSU athletic director Roy Culberson called the timing "unfortunate," and called the situation "a temporary one." Construction of the new track began on July 14.

"It's all about progress," Culberson said. "We're trying to put our facility together. It's just how it worked out. The track is the first major piece being built . . . everything is contractual. The athletic department doesn't set those contracts or when they are going to start. I can't go out there and stop the construction.

"The only thing I can do is try to make it as convenient as possible. They've still got two practice fields and that should be sufficient. I'm not going to put any of our teams in a negative situation where they can't succeed."

Culberson informed Hughes that practicing at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium, where JSU plays its home games, was an option. Hughes, however, said that would be "too time consuming."

Hughes said his staff and the players will make the best out of the situation, but he made it clear he wasn't happy about it.

"I wasn't involved in the decision making, and I wasn't invited to the meetings," Hughes said.

Some of the offensive players bemoaned about not being able to practice on the field they were accustomed to practicing on. JSU linebacker Elgin Andrews says it's not that big a deal.

"Grass is grass," Andrews said. "I don't think it will be much of a factor at all. We're going to work just as hard; we'll just be working on a different field. As long as we have an open space to move around, that's all that matters."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Wait a minute.... dude is from ARIZONA, and can't handle the HEAT???

Oh, this is not the smack board. My bad...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This construction irks me too. They stilll got the middle of the campus torn up. Having the band march down the middle of the campus was part of the pre-game friday hype. This construction is about to get on my MF nerves.

Dang, if they on the field we practice on, I guess we're on the dust bowl like the ole days. We gonnna keep some mofos up this year.

Back