Conflicted???

LAW DAWG

TSU LOVE
Believers, every now and then there are situations that cause conflict from within. Have any of you found a way, you're at peace with, for consoling someone in bereavement that is not a believer? I want to tell them so bad what a healer the Lord we serve is, but I stay mindful their beliefs are not the same as mine. The conflict for me is I feel like I'm denying Christ when I do so. Furthermore, I feel like I have not helped them to the fullest extent I could have.

Believers, every now and then there are situations that cause conflict from within. Have any of you found a way, you're at peace with, for consoling someone in bereavement that is not a believer? I want to tell them so bad what a healer the Lord we serve is, but I stay mindful their beliefs are not the same as mine. The conflict for me is I feel like I'm denying Christ when I do so. Furthermore, I feel like I have not helped them to the fullest extent I could have.
Keep praying for them and be there for them. The God in you can shine through without you saying a word. Let your actions, love, kindness, and compassion show the God in you. You don't have to say a word...

Keep praying for them and be there for them. The God in you can shine through without you saying a word. Let your actions, love, kindness, and compassion show the God in you. You don't have to say a word...

Hmmm,....I'll take that advice to heart. Thanks!

This happened to me back in 2011:

One of my co-workers (white) had been in a very short relationship with one of the service repair techs that come in our to fix our analyzers. She had apparently really been into this man and you could tell by the change in her demeanor and physical appearance. He, however, wasn't all that into her and when he broke off the "relationship", she was so devastated, she couldn't come to work. Soon afterward, I learned she had been admitted to one of the mental/behavioral hospitals here in Little Rock. She worked in the Blood Bank department in our lab; she trained me when I started working here, so I knew her very well. Well, while the Black co-workers would ask her assigned department staff about her, concerned for her well-being, her comrades were ruthless! They talked so badly about her, and make the rudest and meanest jokes about her. I'd ask them every week if any of them had heard from her, if she was ok, if they'd been to visit or see her; they'd all reply they didn't know where she was. We knew she 'd been admitted to a hospital, but didn't know which one.

Finally, another co-worker (Black woman), had the hospital and information on her. She asked me if I'd like to go with her to visit. I was reluctant because I'd never been inside a mental hospital. But I remember how I'd always tell people, "I'll pray for you" and later forget. So I agreed. It turns out that she could only have visitors on the approaching Sunday......which happened to be Resurrection Sunday. But I kept my word and went.

When we got to the hospital, we waited for the workers to go get her. When she walked into that waiting room, my heart sank. She looked so defeated and worn down. She hadn't bathed, hadn't combed her hair. We didn't have long to visit with her, only 20 minutes. I talked with her, told her I missed her and needed her to get back to herself, and that it hurt seeing her like this. All too soon, it was time for us to go. When I hugged her, that's when it happened! I opened my mouth and a prayer flowed right out! I was crying but still praying. To this very day, I don't know what I said, but I remember when I was released, I saw other patients around us, holding hands and praying with us. My co-worker who I accompanied told me that was one of the most powerful prayers she'd ever heard.

A few months later, my co-worker was released from the hospital and came back to work. Her first day back, she came straight up to me and told me that no one has EVER did that for her!

@LAW DAWG I've learned that when God puts a person on your mind or if another's situation triggers concern and compassion in you, it's for a reason. In everything we as Believers do, it is an opportunity to minister to that person. It may not necessarily mean whipping out the Bible and start preaching. Taking the time to show genuine compassion is ministry. A hug. A smile. A card. That's ministry work and if it comes out of love, it's genuine and will accomplish the goal. As Da Sleeper said, it's your actions. Always "let your light so shine that men may see your good works and glorify the Father, which is Heaven". Keep doing good works. People are watching. And you may be the only Bible that some people will ever read.

The enemy will always attack your identity with thoughts. It's the only trick he has. When you are led by the spirit to speak, do so. Always allow the individual to reject the word for themselves. You job is to simply plant the seed. Faith comes by hearing and hearing and hearing over and over and over again. A person will not have faith for something they have not heard. I tell folks all the time, you can pray all you want for someone to be saved, but until they actually "hear" the word, (not only with their ears but with their hearts) they will not have faith in it. Instead, pray that laborers cross their path. Today it could be you speaking a word to them. Tomorrow, it could be someone on their job that speaks a word to them. And so forth and so on. Just do your part and let the Spirit of God do His part.

Back