Comic says Chappelle

Blacknbengal

Actor: Dave Chappelle?s show is over
Comic says Chappelle?s sudden exit left show in limbo

The Associated Press
Updated: 3:12 p.m. ET Aug. 3, 2005

NEW YORK - Time to face the facts: Dave Chappelle?s hit Comedy Central series isn?t coming back, says one of its stars.

??Chappelle?s Show? is over, man. Done,? comic Charlie Murphy told TV Guide. ?It took me a long time to be able to say those words, but I can say it pretty easy now, because it?s the truth.?

Chappelle?s sudden ?spiritual retreat? to South Africa on the eve of his show?s third season has left the series in limbo since May. About half of a new season had been filmed before Chappelle left, Murphy said.

?I?m disappointed it ended the way it did, but I?m not angry with anybody,? he said. ??Chappelle?s Show? was like the Tupac of TV shows. It came out, it got everybody?s attention, it was a bright shining star, but it burned out and for some strange reason, it burned out quick.?

Comedy Central has always said the door is open for Chappelle to return, spokeswoman Aileen Budow said Wednesday.

Network chief Doug Herzog met with Chappelle on June 3, but that has been their last communication, she said.

Murphy, the older brother of comic Eddie Murphy, said his two seasons with Chappelle made him a star.

?Now I can go out and do stand-up,? he said. ?I?m getting movie offers. It?s off the hook. Me getting to the next level or whatever?s going to happen is going to come from the next things I do, but ?Chappelle?s Show? served its purpose and I?ll always be grateful.?

Read story

SU's Finest '93 said:
yeah, I heard Flo Anthony report the story, this a.m.

Me too. Comedy Central or whoever it is who paid $50 mil got done in......! :( I kind of lost respect for him after that shady stuff.

philharmonic said:
Before you lose all of your respect, Get the WHOLE story! I still believe that there is more to it!!!

Co-sign....I wouldn't go as far as to lose respect for Chappelle. True enough I'm disappointed but if one examines the wide spectrum of the matter, there had to be a lot of pressure issues and conflicting senses of direction somewhere. The ones that know the gist of the situation the best would be Chappelle and the higher-ups he had to deal with and no one is saying much. I'm just waiting for Chappelle to drop that all out exclusive interview to get down to the gritty details.

Tara said:
Well, good luck to Charlie Murphy and Ashy Larry's careers! :tup:

I like that pic Tara!

Anyways...yep it seems like there is much more then we know. But Correct me if im wrong. When he went on his hiatus, he said the $50 mil had not been spent.

This is wild.... some people bash Chappelle, but looking at some threads on peter jennings, you would have thought he was black......

If Chappelle weants to leave that's his perogative...... I do not understand this all-out love for the opposite race... And hatefullness of our own.....

Anonymous said:
This is wild.... some people bash Chappelle, but looking at some threads on peter jennings, you would have thought he was black......

This is the SwacPage, not the WHITE-DEVIL PAGE. Jennings got props because he was GOOD at what he did for 41 years and was honored at the time of his death. A high school drop out who made it all the way to the TOP of his game. That's commendable and motivational NO MATTER THE COLOR. It tells me that a person CAN MAKE IT.

I think Chappelle is one of the funniest and most brilliant comics in the business. "Half-Baked" is one of my all time favorite comedies. I just fail to understand your comparison of a "show cancellation" to the death of Peter Jennings and racial self hate. You have your reasons I suppose. :shame:

This very well could be a case of a person not being able to handle stardom. Granted Dave Chappelle had been on the comedy/movie scene for a minute, but he hadn't reached the level of stardom that he achieved with his show.

Sometimes meteoric rises to the highest of levels aren't handled the same way for every one. I would hope that Dave get's his act together whatever his trouble's may be, and he's invested wisely.

I know Comedy Central didn't pay him the 50 mil up front, but he still raked in a nice amount of change from them. I wonder if they're going to show some of the shows that were made.

NICE

Back