College football: players have reportedly tested positive for the coronavirus

So the school district I teach in started our professional days this week and I asked on of the football coaches, "How are y'all playing? I mean, my college conference shut down athletics so what are y'all doing?" His response was to attack the big 10 saying that they weren't concerned w/ actual player safety but instead since they can't have fans then they can't make money & that's the real reason they aren't playing. They are simply telling our high school players, if you feel bad don't come, & when you feel better we'll see u at practice. No test, no idea if guys are asymptomatic and spreading.
He was wearing a mask but said he doesn't think they actually work, but he'll wear it if it makes the old lady in the store w/ him more comfortable. He also shared that kids have been traveling everywhere w/ travel sports and none of them have gotten sick. I told him 3 teachers in our neighboring school had tested positive this week for covid and he went with, " Well we knew we'd have some cases!" (btw they haven't even started yet. this was teachers infecting teachers) & some people may need to get out of teaching.
Lastly he said he didn't even know of anyone that has died from covid. I informed him that 2 of my extended family members had passed from covid. "we can't shut everything down. we've just got to get on with it."
smh

So the school district I teach in started our professional days this week and I asked on of the football coaches, "How are y'all playing? I mean, my college conference shut down athletics so what are y'all doing?" His response was to attack the big 10 saying that they weren't concerned w/ actual player safety but instead since they can't have fans then they can't make money & that's the real reason they aren't playing. They are simply telling our high school players, if you feel bad don't come, & when you feel better we'll see u at practice. No test, no idea if guys are asymptomatic and spreading.
He was wearing a mask but said he doesn't think they actually work, but he'll wear it if it makes the old lady in the store w/ him more comfortable. He also shared that kids have been traveling everywhere w/ travel sports and none of them have gotten sick. I told him 3 teachers in our neighboring school had tested positive this week for covid and he went with, " Well we knew we'd have some cases!" (btw they haven't even started yet. this was teachers infecting teachers) & some people may need to get out of teaching.
Lastly he said he didn't even know of anyone that has died from covid. I informed him that 2 of my extended family members had passed from covid. "we can't shut everything down. we've just got to get on with it."
smh
That the attitude of most people I talk with (White folks).. They just don't care..

smh
That the attitude of most people I talk with (White folks).. They just don't care..

They don't! Just give me my Football!

The New York Times ran a story recently about school districts that either aren’t required to report COVID cases to public health officials or communities or are encouraging school staff not to do so.

Last edited:

One-third of COVID-19 positive Big Ten athletes have myocarditis, Penn State athletic doctor says
Cassandra NegleyWriter
September 3, 2020, 11:41 AM CDT
Yahoo Sports

Around one-third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appear to have myocarditis, according to Penn State’s director of athletic medicine.Wayne Sebastianelli delivered the information during a State College Area Board of School Directors meeting on Monday that was reported on by the Centre Daily Times. The data underscores Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren’s open letter explaining why the conference postponed its fall sports seasons.Sebastianelli called the level of inflammation in the studies “alarming.”

Sebastianelli linked COVID-19 and myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that reduces the heart’s ability to pump blood and can be fatal if not addressed. It is the third-leading cause of sudden death in young people, per Mayo Clinic cardiologist Dr. Michael Ackerman.

Last edited:
The University of Tulsa's football team isn't going to disclose its COVID data, either. Other programs aren't as well.

Back