Coach Rod Broadway

LAW DAWG

TSU LOVE
Whether it has been North Carolina Central, Grambling State or North Carolina A&T Rod Broadway gets the job done. What makes him successful as he has been? What is it that he gets that many other coaches don't?

I should have said, prior to this edit, I believe he and Grambling State were cheated out of another championship in 2010.

Last edited:
His game plan is simple and methodical which wins 80% of his games overall. It will always beat teams of lesser talent. Against teams of equal talent, he is about 50/50 His game plan also keeps games close against teams with better overall talent. His teams are great with the lead. No so much when playing from behind.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
His game plan is simple and methodical which wins 80% of his games overall. It will always beat teams of lesser talent. Against teams of equal talent, he is about 50/50 His game plan also keeps games close against teams with better overall talent. His teams are great with the lead. No so much when playing from behind.

Thanks!

He does have a formula that works and also, I have been down on him for only winning the SWAC 1 time in 4 seasons (NOT IMPRESSIVE) but I forgot, TSU was cheating.

This is an enlightening topic focusing on a winning coach and his methods but I must ask if TSU has had any discussions in the Third Coast Forum about possibly going after him if things don't work out with the current hire? I'm sure he is very content and will probably retire where he is but I had to ask.

should've had at least 3 titles but he got 1

2007 - no comment as those pick 6's hurt
2008 - dominated Jackson State
2010 - he was dominating TSU but the wheels fell off in the 4th quarter

he has a team at A&T now that's scoring points in bunches with a good defense. This could be something to watch for.

If you want to win yearly, he is your guy. He will keep you in the top 2-3 teams of your league.

But will he win championships? I am in NO way saying is not a good coach. He wins but he won two at NCCU in 4 years. THAT WAS GREAT but at GSU, he was 1-3 when counting championship seasons and at A&T he only has ONE out-right championship in 6 seasons. So that's two FCS championships in 10 seasons. Is that really so great? Granted at A&T, he did have to rebuild.

Broadway's philosophy is simple ...

1. Run the ball & stop the run
2. Play as clean as possible (few penalties)
3. Win the battle of field position on special teams

It's not flashy, but the results are good.

This is an enlightening topic focusing on a winning coach and his methods but I must ask if TSU has had any discussions in the Third Coast Forum about possibly going after him if things don't work out with the current hire? I'm sure he is very content and will probably retire where he is but I had to ask.

Brother Mace there hasn't been any discussion of that sort. It's just that when you have been historical losers in football as long as we have you begin to look for some answers.

Last edited:
Broadway is just like Anthony Jones. They will have winning seasons. Folks over look Jones but he will get you at 7-4 and 8-3 winning seasons with a championship once or twice. Better than what we have in the SWAC now. Just saying.....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
should've had at least 3 titles but he got 1

2007 - no comment as those pick 6's hurt
2008 - dominated Jackson State
2010 - he was dominating TSU but the wheels fell off in the 4th quarter

he has a team at A&T now that's scoring points in bunches with a good defense. This could be something to watch for.
Our QB was piss poor with a boss Defense. Man we could have worked him with a good QB..

the first game in 2008 was good as it was about defense. it was 14-5 as I remember GSU stopped them on the goal line early on 4 downs

the second time once he figured out the QB sucked they tool full advantage.

Broadway dominated Jones though....Jones will keep you consistent but never great. Broadway your in the championship mix yearly no matter who the QB is.

the first game in 2008 was good as it was about defense. it was 14-5 as I remember GSU stopped them on the goal line early on 4 downs

the second time once he figured out the QB sucked they tool full advantage.

Broadway dominated Jones though....Jones will keep you consistent but never great. Broadway your in the championship mix yearly no matter who the QB is.

I couldn't help but notice that also. It always seemed to me that he liked to establish the run and required the quarterback to do no more than he thought he was capable of.

Last edited:

His teams seem to be disciplined, well coached, and have a toughness about them at every position. From Offense to Defense to Special Teams. Its not pretty at all. My kind of football. A Great Coach!

Thanks guys, I think I learned something today. What separates coaches like Broadway from others is their focus on the most minute of details and their insistence on good execution. It looks simple when in action, but it is no simple feat to get there.

For the record A&T has been throwing the ball the first two games this year....(321 yards and 268 yards respectively)

But will he win championships? I am in NO way saying is not a good coach. He wins but he won two at NCCU in 4 years. THAT WAS GREAT but at GSU, he was 1-3 when counting championship seasons and at A&T he only has ONE out-right championship in 6 seasons. So that's two FCS championships in 10 seasons. Is that really so great? Granted at A&T, he did have to rebuild.
I wouldn't call him a great coach per say. That term is very contextual. He is a consistent winner. At some schools, he would be their greatest coach of all time. At Grambling or Jackson, not so much.

Last edited:
Broadway is an actual HEAD COACH. Not a talker that has some "system" that he cant break away from (i.e. Spady) or a position coach that can recruit well but only specializes in only one position. Guys like him are smart enough to run a football team based on facts and data (quality control and "playing the odds") instead of what one WISHES.

Football doesn't have enough of those guys like it used to. Too many HCs are just out here pissin in the wind and hoping not to get wet

I wouldn't call him a great coach per say. That term is very contextual. He is a consistent winner. At some schools, he would be their greatest coach of all time. At Grambling or Jackson, not so much.

IMHO Broadway is number 2 at Grambling all times, until he is replaced.

Back