Classic loses some luster

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
November 22, 2001

Classic loses some luster

Events of Sept. 11 forced game to be moved to today
By Mark Alexander
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

Usually nobody gets more excited about the Southern Heritage Classic than producer Fred Jones.

Even Jones realizes the pomp and circumstance surrounding this year's game won't quite be the same.

Southern Heritage Classic

Who: Jackson State, 7-3, vs. Tennessee State, 7-3
When: Today, 1 p.m.

Where: Memphis

Radio: WOAD-1300 AM

Series: JSU leads 17-16-2

Last year: Jackson State 42, Tennessee State 39

"You know what? I was driving around today and thought to myself it just doesn't seem like Classic time," Jones said Wednesday.

Classic time for the past 11 years has meant September. But this year's Jackson State-Tennessee State game in Memphis will be played today, on Thanksgiving Day, two months later than originally scheduled. The game was rescheduled in light of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

For those fans that do choose to attend the game, it means a Classic Thanksgiving, not a traditional one.

The Southern Heritage Classic has not drawn a crowd under 50,000 fans since 1995. A record crowd of 61,171 crammed into the Liberty Bowl in 1997. Jones isn't expecting anywhere near those types of numbers today.

"We'll be fortunate to get 25-30,000," Jones said. "There's no question the events of 9-11 have had an effect on us. The atmosphere won't be the same, but we still need to play the game."

The hype and festivities leading up to the game have become as significant to some as the game itself. However, most of those festivities were held in September or were canceled, leaving the main focus on the game.

Or how to work in a little turkey and dressing and a football game on the same day. It's a scenario Mississippi State and Ole Miss fans have learned to cope with in recent years, and one Tuskegee and Alabama State fans are well-accustomed to.

The players are going to be treated to Thanksgiving dinner after the game compliments of a JSU alumni group. The fans are on their own. Making things even tougher is the 1 p.m. starting time.

"I've heard a lot of people saying it's Thanksgiving and they rather spend time with their families, have the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, than go to the game," Blue Bengals president Calvin Younger said. "Normally I'm with my family on that day, too, but I'm breaking the rule this year to support the program."

Younger said his organization purchased 400 tickets in March for this game. "We returned about 350 of those," he said. "People wanted their refunds after the game was rescheduled."

The bus sponsored by the Blue Bengals is normally full for road trips; only 35 people signed up for the 3-hour trek to Memphis.

Jacob Hurt of Jackson, who also sponsors a bus trip for JSU games, isn't having the same problem.

"Most of my regulars are going," Hurt said. "I really thought people would be backing out, but they keep coming on."

That's good news to JSU athletic director Roy Culberson, who says he would be happy to see a crowd of 30,000.

"I'm thinking 25-30,000 probably," Culberson said. "We're hoping for more, of course. But when the game was rescheduled a lot of people had to make changes in their plans. I know we had to refund a lot of tickets after the incidents occurred on September 11."

Had this game been played on Sept. 15 as originally planned, each team would have been 1-0. Each is 7-3 now.

The key to the game might be which team is more emotionally ready to play. Jackson State is coming off an emotional 52-28 win over rival Alcorn State Saturday. Tennessee State, ranked in the Top 25 earlier this season, has lost two straight and will not be headed to the Division I-AA playoffs as it had once envisioned.

"It's still a rivalry game," JSU receivers Robert Jacobs said. "It's just that we're playing them now instead of at the beginning of the year. We know if we want to go 8-3 we have to win this game."

Said JSU linebacker Elgin Andrews: "I'm looking forward to the game. We know they have a good team. But we would like to finish the season off strong and send the seniors out on a winning note."

JSU won last year's game 42-39 in double overtime on Brian Reynolds' 33-yard field goal. Robert Kent made his first start in that game as a redshirt freshman, throwing for two touchdowns and running for two more.

Kent and JSU hope for similar success today in what shapes up to be another close, high-scoring game. JSU averages 35.6 points per game, Tennessee State 32.5. The teams have combined to score 81 points in each of the last two Classics.

Tennessee State led the nation in scoring defense after its first six games, having allowed only 37 points. But in the last four, it has allowed an average of 38.3. On offense, Tennessee State is led by quarterback Shannon Harris, who has thrown for nearly 2,700 yards and 19 touchdowns this season.

"Considering the situation, we couldn't ask for anything better," Jones said. "Both teams have winning records, both have high-powered offenses and the weather is supposed to be good. It should be a good one."

Back