1) Jackson State (4-1)The Tigers affirmed their No. 1 ranking coming out of Huntsville with a record-setting 61-15 win over Alabama A&M. The 61 points were the most JSU has scored in 20 years, and the team set a program record with 10 sacks. JSU hosts Alabama State for homecoming at 2 p.m. Saturday at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Last week's ranking: No. 1
2) Alcorn State (3-2)Alcorn State is coming off a 24-20 win over Grambling State. Running back Niko Duffey ran for 138 yards on 20 carries, and quarterback Felix Harper completed 15 of 23 passes for 150 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. The Braves head to Itta Bena to face Mississippi Valley State at 2 p.m. Saturday.
Last week's ranking: No. 3
3) Prairie View A&M (4-1)The Panthers enjoyed an open week after a 27-17 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Sept. 30. Prairie View travels to Daytona Beach, Florida, to face Bethune-Cookman at 3 p.m. Saturday.
Last week's ranking: No. 4
4) Alabama A&M (3-2)The Bulldogs' blowout loss to JSU was their second straight loss, and it happened on homecoming. Quarterback Aqeel Glass completed 26 of 40 passes for 293 yards and two touchdowns and was sacked eight times. AAMU faces Florida A&M at 1 p.m. Saturday at Louis Crews Stadium.
Last week's ranking: No. 2
5) Florida A&M (3-2)The Rattlers claimed a big 30-7 win over South Carolina State last Saturday. Running back Bishop Bonnett finished with 118 yards and a touchdown on 12 carries. Quarterback RaSean McKay completed 14 of 24 passes for 181 yards and a touchdown.
Last week's ranking: No. 5
Here are the Clarion Ledger's eighth Southwestern Athletic Conference, SWAC, football rankings for the 2021 fall season.