CIAA & SIAC Proposal Shut Down by NCAA

On one hand, I agree that the NCAA dropped the ball

On the other hand, if they want a Celebration Bowl-like experience, they will have to do like the SWAC and MEAC did and give up the auto-bid. Can't have your cake and eat it too

On the other hand, if they want a Celebration Bowl-like experience, they will have to do like the SWAC and MEAC did and give up the auto-bid. Can't have your cake and eat it too
We've kinda been down this road before with the SIAC and the CIAA; it was called the Pioneer Bowl, only the champions didn't participate. Maybe this would have been different, but again, unless they go to a 9-game schedule and do this game, the NCAA won't let them get a Week 0 waiver because of the 10-game D2 mandate.

It should not have been approved. NCAA is clear on 11 games. Unless Benedict and FSU wanted to drop one of their existing games, or forego the chance to play in their conference championship, then there was no way for this game to be played.

Further, both teams already have 10 games and their potential conference championship scheduled.

I thought the Pioneer Bowl was that championship at one time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The Professor and Grambling '93 already state good reasons why it was not approved and the history of the SIAC and CIAA getting turned down by the NCAA. I don't know why some media assoicated with HBCUs are reporting that the NCAA is in the wrong. To me instead of trying to do week 0 game (which the D2 does not do right now), why not have the game after the championship game for each conference before the playoffs along with having the last games of the seasons to be CIAA vs SIAC schools.

I thought the Pioneer Bowl was that championship at one time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
So the Pioneer Bowl started off as a bowl game not associated with HBCUs, but at some point the SIAC and CIAA ended up sending their best teams not in the playoffs to the pioneer bowl. I remember one year that ECSU was the 3rd best time in the CIAA and was sent to the Pioneer Bowl because the CIAA top two teams went into the playoffs.

Correct if I'm wrong, but it seems some of the comments are referring to a post season type of match up. By the SIAC and CIAA proposing a zero week game, wouldn't that match up be more like the SWAC/MEAC Challenge?

Correct if I'm wrong, but it seems some of the comments are referring to a post season type of match up. By the SIAC and CIAA proposing a zero week game, wouldn't that match up be more like the SWAC/MEAC Challenge?

Exactly

The reason, from my view point, some people are bring up the post season type match up is to show that CIAA vs SIAC match up has been done before and the only difference now with the new proposal is just having it in week 0 and not being a post season game. The question I have is why did the CIAA and SIAC submit this week 0 game if they knew it would have the potential of going over the game limit for either one or both schools. I would have thought since they knew the schools that was going to play in the week 0 match-up that they would had created a bye week in both schools schedules and thus eliminating the potential of the schools going over season game limit. One has to wonder if they had done that would the proposal been rejected by the NCAA.

The NCAA D2 (presidents) voted against it as legislation many years ago.

So with no legislation in place, the NCAA had to punt on the idea of having a Week 0 game between the SIAC & CIAA. So the CIAA and SIAC will have to lobby the DII members (presidents/chancellors, commissioners, and directors of athletics) to carve out legislation for such a game in the future.

So even though the NCAA make the policy, it’s the admins from other schools that carry it out

The NCAA D2 (presidents) voted against it as legislation many years ago.

So with no legislation in place, the NCAA had to punt on the idea of having a Week 0 game between the SIAC & CIAA. So the CIAA and SIAC will have to lobby the DII members (presidents/chancellors, commissioners, and directors of athletics) to carve out legislation for such a game in the future.

So even though the NCAA make the policy, it’s the admins from other schools that carry it out
Great information, but then the question becomes why did the CIAA and SIAC present this if it was a guarantee that it was going to be rejected by the NCAA based on the information you provided.

Great information, but then the question becomes why did the CIAA and SIAC present this if it was a guarantee that it was going to be rejected by the NCAA based on the information you provided.

Not exactly sure. I think the SIAC and CIAA admins decided to "press their luck" and "shoot their shot" in the dark hoping that everyone would be on board. Because of the result, now those same admins know what they need to do to make this happen in the future.

Wouldn't be surprised if they work on revamped deal that involves more than just those 2 D2 program. If they can attach a TV deal to it (like ESPN/ESPNU) then they could be cooking with grease. (fingers crossed)

Not exactly sure. I think the SIAC and CIAA admins decided to "press their luck" and "shoot their shot" in the dark hoping that everyone would be on board. Because of the result, now those same admins know what they need to do to make this happen in the future.

Wouldn't be surprised if they work on revamped deal that involves more than just those 2 D2 program. If they can attach a TV deal to it (like ESPN/ESPNU) then they could be cooking with grease. (fingers crossed)
It would be interesting if turns out that D2 week 0 turns into battle of the conferances, with all the games for week 0 in D2 being the previous year champions against the other previous year conference champions. As this would give D2 a unique appeal for their week 0 games and limited the number of week 0 zero games to just those schools that won conference championships (this means you will have 12 games in total). The only draw back is I think D2 has an uneven number of conferences with 23, so one school will be left out unless you pair them with the best independant from the previous year.

Back