Chilly reception doesn't get A&M down

Blacknbengal

Chilly reception doesn't get A&M down

Bulldogs respond to new coach in first spring practice

04/04/02

By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com

Anthony Jones couldn't get to his office fast enough. Who could blame him?

Alabama A&M opened spring football practice in less than ideal conditions Wednesday night, but Jones appeared to be ready for the elements.

Dressed in an A&M warm-up suit with gloves and a skull cap, Jones was constantly in motion.

He was showing the receivers how to run routes. He was showing the quarterbacks how to attack the defensive end. During the conditioning portion of the practice, Jones was running sprints trying to encourage offensive lineman Robert Cole.

''I'm willing to do whatever it takes,'' Jones said after sending the Bulldogs through a spirited two-hour practice in chilly conditions. ''The players won't be as willing if the coaches aren't willing.''

The players were more than willing Wednesday night. When practice was over, they were upbeat about Jones.

''I think he's going to be a good coach,'' defensive back Reggie Johnson said. ''Everybody had fun tonight.''

Jones also had fun. But after reviewing the session, he knows there is much to be done.

''I'm not going to go out and hang myself, but at the same time I'm not overly pleased,'' he said. ''It's about what I expected. We've got some work to do.''

The Bulldogs spent most of Wednesday's practice working on fundamentals of the running and passing game. By the end of the month, Jones said, things will be a lot better.

''The passing game is about timing, spacing and confidence,'' he said. ''We've got to A&M's first spring practice is upbeat A&M Continued from page D1 teach our kids how to run routes and make sure they understand the essence of the route. That's what we've got to work on.

''It's kind of hard to judge them until we put the pads on.''

Jones lost two more players Wednesday. Junior place-kicker Tom Bambauer informed him he didn't want to play anymore, while reserve tailback/fullback Tieko Williams was placed on probation and won't likely rejoin the team, Jones said.

Bambauer met with Jones on Tuesday to let him know he was leaning toward not playing. Jones told him to talk to his parents and make sure of his decision.

On Wednesday, Bambauer told Jones he had decided against returning.

''He told me football wasn't a part of him anymore,'' Jones said. ''I don't want to force a kid to play if he doesn't want to play.''

Bambauer made 6-of-11 field goals last season.

With Bambauer gone, Rashad Cylar and Chris Carbo will battle for the place-kicking and punting jobs.

Cylar made just 1-of-5 field goals last season, but was 23-of-24 on extra points.

Williams, who has been in and out of trouble, has apparently ran out of chances.

''Tieko did some things in the dorm that were unacceptable,'' Jones said. ''I'm trying to figure him out. The way it looks now, he probably won't be a member of this team.''

Williams appeared in five games last season, rushing for 120 yards on 34 carries.

The loss of Williams, who can play either fullback or tailback, isn't expected to hurt the Bulldogs, Jones said. A&M has now lost seven players since Jones was hired to replace Ron Cooper two months ago.

The Bulldogs will take off today before resuming practice Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
What you fail to realize is that only ONE will be missed and that is the kicker. The rest of them are third stringers. They probably wouldnt have played anyway.

Third Stringers??????????

........How can these former players be 3rd stringers and "Spring" practice just started Wednesday?? The Coach hasn't had time to evaluate the the team or get solid advice from his assistant coaches!!! I don't believe at this "stage" of practice that he would have a depth-chart do you???

Dahill........please explain if your coach has a depth chart:confused:

Re: Third Stringers??????????

Originally posted by G-QUE
........How can these former players be 3rd stringers and "Spring" practice just started Wednesday?? The Coach hasn't had time to evaluate the the team or get solid advice from his assistant coaches!!! I don't believe at this "stage" of practice that he would have a depth-chart do you???

Dahill........please explain if your coach has a depth chart:confused:

ummmmmm third string from LAST YEAR. Just look at their stats... trust me nobody at AAMU is crying over them not returning. These are players that probably wouldnt have returned even if Cooper was still here. I guess SU, JSU, or Bama St didnt have any players quit and EVERYBODY that was on the team last year that still has eligibility is coming back. I could see if these players were good enough to transfer to another school, but they just gave up football period (all except one who went back home to ATL go to MO B)

This is sad...The program was already in trouble and now the players are quiting. Cooper destroyed your program and its going to take this new cat years to even get you to a winning season. You just better hope you can compete with Valley.

Please pose denial statements here----->

its our turn to win the east again because our rival asu won it last year and we won it the year before that so from now thats how things should go in the east. JSU still has the same coach so they shouldnt be a factor even with the talent they have every year.

Originally posted by TRU3000
JSU still has the same coach so they shouldnt be a factor even with the talent they have every year.

Do you mean this talent?
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

Originally posted by TRU3000
its our turn to win the east again because our rival asu won it last year and we won it the year before that so from now thats how things should go in the east.

YOu sound just like a woman....

Dtown, what have you done with Tr....

nevermind, the does think like a woman.

No smack......but I don't think you people are seeing exactly what is going on here. Yes many of these players may have been 3rd string last year.....but they played, and have some experience. And depth and experience are the cornerstones to succesful programs. You may retain starters...but having quality back ups are a must in football. Your backups in most cases are your future starters. Plus you have to add the fact that you are loosing players in the spring, and you lost seniors to graduation. That is a tall order to replace. And if you can't see that.....then you need to take a close look at last season when some of your key starters went down to injury.

Suge:

You DID make some valid points, but for these other clowns to come on here acting as if the season is OVER before it BEGAN i sjust plain ludicrous!

Think about Gram's situation for a minute. They signed 38 players...WOW! Way-da-go Gram. But wait a minute...38 is a lot of players. That means that most of those players were needed due to graduation, I'm assuming. Do any of these players have "experience"?...no. But chances are, they will get a chance to show what they have, right?

I mean dayum...I could see if we had NO freshman coming in and NO redshirts on the squad, but these fools actin' like we workin' with only 40 players on the entire team!

A few players are gone...oh well. Y'all want us to get on here and cry about them leaving, but that ain't gonna happen.
I guess AAMU is the only team in the SWAC to ever have more than 3 players leave the team in the spring... :rolleyes:

But Ntel, the difference between AAMU and Gram is ....(dayum I hate talking like this....so I won't)

AAMU's season is over. I am wondering if I need to start looking for a real game to go to on the date you guys play us. The games I have least interest in this year are PV and AAMU.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Now c'mon, TP...
You know good-n-dayum well that you wouldn't DARE miss the JSU/AAMU game! :lol:
One of your favorites of the year.

I'll ignore your smack overtone since this is the SPORTS board.

ANY lose is felt...some like a knife in the chest. But most of these are like a mosquito bite: it's annoying and you wish that it never happened...but oh well, you'll be aiight! :D

I STILL like the fact that most of our D linemen and LBs are returning...
I'm glad that we have a coach to fix up our secondary package (YOU can't talk....yours was worser than ours)
I STILL am satisfied with our receiving corp returning in tact (being constantly open, but not getting the ball is an old issue)

We STILL have good running backs. The SIXTH leading rusher last year is gone...okay. Just like y'all fools, I guess we should just ignore the other 5 not to mention the redshirts who didn't get a chance last year.

I could go on, but I'm gonna stop.
You clowns are gonna talk that garbage REGARDLESS of the facts! :lol:

Post "Your season is STILL over" nonsense over here -------->

:cool:

Originally posted by Get Ready

YOu sound just like a woman....

Dtown, what have you done with Tr....

nevermind, the does think like a woman.

get ready I was tryin to say in a nice way that your pis-poor football program isnt a factor in the east no matter how much you try to talk your team up to be. why dont you just admit that you team cant win a SWAC title with all this talent yall are suppose to have.....you say i sound like a woman:confused: when you sound like a tired azz bia with all the excuses you make!!!!

all this lameness needs to stop my brotha

Let me tell you guys something about redshirts.

You guys keep talking about we got redshirts this and that. The fact is for you guys that went 3-8, and stuggled for most of the year at certain positions, a redshirt player means virtually nothing but another body. If he was any good, he would have played last year.

For instance, I wouldnt be on here bragging about a redshirt cornerback at JSU. Hell if they were any good, they would have been out there knocking down passes. Coaches dont redshirt positions where they have an immediate need.

So if Alcorns says they have a DT redshirted....big deal
If Southern says they have a redshirt QB....big deal
If 0-10 says they have a redshirt anything...big deal

That just means they were not good enough to make 3rd string, and the need for them wasnt there this year. But this year, they are good enough to make 3rd string....big deal

Originally posted by Get Ready

That just means they were not good enough to make 3rd string, and the need for them wasnt there this year. But this year, they are good enough to make 3rd string....big deal

See?...now you just sound silly.

All the countless times you and a couple of your cohorts came on hear talking and proclaiming that y'all got redshirts this and that...that a player will not be a starter at JSU until their JUNIOR season because y'all were so DEEP. Do you recall ANY of that???
Well I do.
Did all these "blue chip redshirts" not play immediately because they weren't good enough to play?
Was it because y'all were too deep at a position?
Or was it simply because there wasn't a need yet?

Let's clarify this stuff before you're forced to remove a foot from your mouth....

Originally posted by Ntelekt

Post "Your season is STILL over" nonsense over here -------->

:cool:

Your season is STILL over!

''We've got to learn our plays better,'' Jones said. ''We had some guys running the wrong plays.''

Most of the missed assignments, Jones said, were on offense.

''The offense had some shining moments,'' Jones said. ''There weren't many because we blew a lot of assignments.''

Offensively, A&M had a couple of of good plays. Melvin Gideon ripped off a 15-yard run and quarterback Jake Wilson found wide receiver Nick Wells for a long gainer. There wasn't much beyond that.

''We've got three capable quarterbacks, but nobody has separated themselves from the other one,'' said Jones, who serves as quarterbacks coach. ''This week will be important.''

YOUR SEASON IS OVER!!!! SEE REFERENCE BELOW.
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V