Chicago State University athletics ?

Yet their athletic budget is smaller than Valley. They really got the brunt of the budget issues in IL getting their athletic budget slashed. The right basketball hire would help them a lot but the pandemic really hurt them

I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago State ended up in the MEAC if they are trying to stay D1 when they leave the WAC in 2022. They are a predominantly black college located in the south side of Chicago. They would have to travel since they are outside the current MEAC footprint.

I think that they are a historical black college because they are a member of the Thurgood Marshall fund

Word is that they are going to be adding a D1 non-scholarship football team to their athletic department portfolio.

They recently got rid of their baseball program and added men's soccer.

Football is an interesting route to explore particularly since a football team could represent a 5-10% enrollment growth with a non-scholarship roster of 100 young men. Could also generate more sponsorship dollars, alumni interest, etc. that would be advantageous while also playing a role in maintaining the school as a Division I university.... though still remains to be seen if they park in football in the Pioneer, where do the rest of their sports live?

Chicago State did a tour of the MEAC and applied for membership back around the time that Savannah State and Winston-Salem State entered the conference, but withdrew their application when they realized that they would not receive enough votes for admittance.
The MEAC could bring Chicago State as insurance in case another school decides to bolt the conference.

As much as I would love to have access to that Midwest market (especially for enrollment purposes) that move would put the conference so outside its footprint it wouldn’t be funny. I get the move for being a buffer for maintaining AQ’s for sports but, the expense of going to Chicago a couple times of the year would be ridiculous.

No, but most of the students are Black.
But also with a large percentage of Hispanic students...correct? I remember visiting their web page 2-3 years ago when JSU played them in a Baseball series in Chicago if I'm not mistaken.

But also with a large percentage of Hispanic students...correct? I remember visiting their web page 2-3 years ago when JSU played them in a Baseball series in Chicago if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah, lots of Hispanic students go there as well as the other colleges in Chicago.

Chicago State does not have a football team and adding them to the meac would be pointless. It would be like adding another Coppin State OR UMES to the MEAC. No football teams and you still only have 6 football teams in the conference altho the total members is 8 in the meac. There enrollment is also small for a D1 school: just under 3,000.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago State ended up in the MEAC if they are trying to stay D1 when they leave the WAC in 2022. They are a predominantly black college located in the south side of Chicago. They would have to travel since they are outside the current MEAC footprint.
they were also outside the WAC footprint.

If Chicago State isn’t serious about bringing in football, then the MEAC is wasting their time. I am not a fan of bringing in non HBCU’s to the table. It would be a step into giving “them” something else that we started and belongs to us. It would be sickening to watch a Non-HBCU win a Black College National Championship in the Celebration Bowl! 🤢

If Chicago State isn’t serious about bringing in football, then the MEAC is wasting their time. I am not a fan of bringing in non HBCU’s to the table. It would be a step into giving “them” something else that we started and belongs to us. It would be sickening to watch a Non-HBCU win a Black College National Championship in the Celebration Bowl! 🤢
Per a contract with FloSports, they got to start football by 7/1/2023. 🤷🏿‍♂️

If they're gonna do that, might not be all that bad of an idea to consider Kentucky State to give Chicago State a travel partner. Or, get them both and pitch Tennessee State.

If they're gonna do that, might not be all that bad of an idea to consider Kentucky State to give Chicago State a travel partner. Or, get them both and pitch Tennessee State.

Hilary Duff Lol GIF by YoungerTV

@ Tennessee State reference

Back