Chester Rogers

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
that's all huntsville alabama right there. I've known Chester Rogers jr since he was 3 spinning around in the chair at maurice's

his first 2 years at gram he got them Ls from A&M though

that's all huntsville alabama right there. I've known Chester Rogers jr since he was 3 spinning around in the chair at maurice's

his first 2 years at gram he got them Ls from A&M though

So why couldn't you guys keep him there? No smack intended.

So why couldn't you guys keep him there? No smack intended.

Chester wanted to leave Huntsville for college to get away from all the distractions. I don't even think we recruited him that year. Chester also hit a growth spurt once he got to Gram. If I'm not mistaken he barely got noticed coming out of high school. If I recall correctly he had to send Grambling tapes because yall weren't recruiting him either.

Chester wasn't highly recruited.... He was a decent receiver who played on a 1 or 2 win team. Charles Woodward was easily the best receiver in the city... Woodard ended up running the streets.... Rogers did his thing... and now one is in the streets and the other is in the NFL.

Chester wanted to leave Huntsville for college to get away from all the distractions. I don't even think we recruited him that year. Chester also hit a growth spurt once he got to Gram. If I'm not mistaken he barely got noticed coming out of high school. If I recall correctly he had to send Grambling tapes because yall weren't recruiting him either.
That's what bothered me so much about Jones. I believe JSU got a player or two out of Huntsville the same year Gram signed Rogers. Gram even got that Savage kid out of J.O.J. I mean, I was like did somebody forget that his pops was a beast when he played for AAMU in the 80s? In NYSP one summer, Poppa Savage made me do push ups until I started shaking all because I threw a pear or something on the ground.

Now Chester's pop was an outstanding athlete at Lee High School as well and was also overlooked. Other than when Ray Green & Ron Cooper were head coaches, AAMU has really missed out on the best of local talent. That always bothered me....but it's also good that Spady started these camps that other schools have always done. Less chance of them overlooking local guys that can really help the team...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
If Spady was here when Chester was at Lee he would have grabbed him just because he was local & with a good work ethic....Jones let alot of local talent get out of Huntsville by not bothering to recruit them

I don't know if he thought he was going to get the job. By making his interest in the job so public I think he tried to use it as leverage for an max offer from AAMU. My 2 cents. Congrats and good luck Trey

Last edited:
Back