Case Study SWAC football vs fbs (SU vs utsa)

Put those teams against schools not named Grambling or Alcorn and they win by at least 4 TDs easily. 85 versus 50-something is real. I'm not short changing what those teams did.

The closest the SWAC has come is Alcorn losing by a TD (twice) and Grambling by 10.

Depends on what team you're talking about. BCU & NCA&T maybe but the rest I highly doubt would be 4 TD wins. The MEAC hasn't exactly blown the SWAC out in head to head games over the past 10 years. Matter of fact Southern hasn't had much of a problem with the MEAC. 08 Hampton beat JSU by 4 points. 09 SCSU beat Grambling by 3 points. Some of them were obvious lopsided matchups, like BCU and PV in 2010, FAMU and Valley in 2013 and A&T & AAMU in 2014. You really believe Morgan State, FAMU, Norfolk, SCSU, Savannah State, Howard or Delaware State beating any team in the SWAC by TD's other than Grambling or Alcorn? Cmon now lol. Those teams aren't any better than the middle of the pack teams in the SWAC. They have a few top programs just like the SWAC does pretty much. And with those programs, all 3 celebration bowl games ended as one possession games. And I could be wrong but um, didn't Grambling beat NCCU in the Celebration bowl 2 years ago? It's conference champ vs conference champ, what better metric is there?

Oregon had their run just like pretty much every other program. Florida had theirs, Tennessee had theirs, Alabama has theirs, Texas had theirs, etc. Hell Alabama was losing to ULM before Saban. They'll have another run at some point.
Saban was the coach for the ULM loss.

This doesn't make you better if you don't get the same athletes. I'm not sure why people still believe this. The MEAC has played these games for 20 years and still hasn't won a playoff game since 1999. What about Tennessee State, hell they play IN a PWC conference and still haven't gotten close to a championship game. You win by getting better athletes, better coaches and having a program in place to groom those players.

You dont get better athletes by NOT playing better teams.

You dont get better athletes by NOT playing better teams.

Amen! You get better players by winning ... and having creature comforts to entice them to come to your school to play.

All about getting the Willies and the Joes.

You are only as good as your signing classes permit you to be. There will be an overlooked kid her and there who can end up being a star through good coaching, but the program who brings in the bigger, stronger, taller and top recruited high school prospects will win the game. The best coached team in the SWAC would go winless in the SEC for a reason.

I truly believe folks don't understand the depth of coaching and what all goes into coaching.

If Nick Saban had SU 2015 or 2016 or last year's team, SU would run through the SWAC

If Alcorn's ex coach, the cac, had less talent and ran the SWAC, what is you saying breh?

The talent level in this conference is pretty much leveled out. The coaching in this conference is ass.

Nick Saban could have taken that SU team from 2015 and beaten a Top FCS program

Amen! You get better players by winning ... and having creature comforts to entice them to come to your school to play.

All about getting the Willies and the Joes.

Just watch what happens if A&T beats Jacksonville State in 2 weeks...

Yall don't understand the depth of coaching because yall look at the game on a surface level.

Plus yall look and evaluate the coaches in this league (The SWAC).

There's a reason why these coaches are not moving up to bigger conferences.

They can't coach and don't think outside of the box.

If you in your last game of the season (SU) blitz a FS then you sir are lacking in the coaching department.

You can't be on some, "we don't need to blitz our FS" Huh?? That's not coaching, what you have him back there for and not utilizing his potential skills and not confusing the offense?
You might as well have my 4.7 speed having ass back there just trying to get beat deep

The FS for Bama HaHa stayed blitzing the QB thus him making a name for himself, he stayed making tackles around the LOS, thus making himself to be game-changer and top FS in the country.

You can't have a top FS in our conference when you have coaches that don't even know how to use a skilled FS lol

Yall talking all this stuff, but don't even study and see what's going on at these games.

Pop Warner ass football, level 101 football that JV teams are doing, we are doing in the SWAC, no complex defense, just base sh1t.

Yall talking that OLine and Dline trenches empty ass talking points, what does that even mean.

SU had the best OLine in the SWAC as one alluded to and couldn't protect our QB, you know why? Because of the lack of coaching and detailing on how to protect and block.

As I stated in my earlier post, our coaches are just starting to use the term "block at the next level" get "to the next level" this year. Like wtf LOL

Block at an angle when inside the numbers, smh. when the RB gets outside the numbers, WR block at this angle or turn the defender this way etc

Man yall got it.

Until yall realize how far the hole goes with coaching then yall will start to see how bad our coaches are.

We still got coaches yelling dumb stuff like "we gotta wrap up" smh the fuk, instead of using football term such as "break down and drive or square up"

Yall really need to join an All Access to hear these coaches speak football language at these bigger schools and understand how far off these coaches are in our league.

Not saying all P5 athletes take this path but you guys are forgetting one MAJOR point, we also don't offer students to take classes for our athletes and have no brainer majors they can major in just to be an athlete that just happened to be enrolled in college. With this leg up the athletes get more time to be just athletes than our people. I know you will say that they have the same rules that we do, but I don't believe they follow those rules like us, the people without a suntan always finds the loopholes while we play by the rules. We do need to get better athletes, coaching, but how do you compete with the stuff they can do? You can't convince me that Alabama have the same amount of practice, film room time as Alabama State

It's not even close!!!

Our best teams can't or don't compete with middle of the pack Fbs teams.

Scott Cochran and others like him are the Difference. We getting those big time transfers and still getting Peter rolled. It's a different world.

Tulane made us look silly and they ain't all that good. I gave up hope in those types of games long ago. Great for revenue but bad for gauging Your program on a FCS level.

Good post and as I stated, it's not even the players. How long are we going to continue to use them empty statements

It's the coaching that separate our programs

I would bet 100 dollars, you put Odums or Fobbs on that Tulane team and put the Tulane coach with GSU team, and I bet GSU beats Tulane or it's a close game. Lol

I would take that bet.

It's the coaching that's ass in this league

Just look at this play and the OLine Play and DLine play

Watch the Center rub with the Guard on the DT, Push him at an "angle" #76, see how his body leaned to the left and they doubled team the DT for A&M

#66 Oline, held his DT upward with the help of his Oline, So we have 2 double teams

#76 with his "angle" block opens up a hole and watch how #66 gets off the block, hits the "next level" and "looks" "finds" the LB at the "next level" because that's his dayum assignment.

His assignment is to look for that LB when he sees a 4 -2 look on defense.

#66 blocks at an "angle" and creates the hole, The RB with vision makes a deep "one" cut and hits the hole.

You know how many times they run this in practice that it come repetitive that every body knows where to go and do in sets like this.

When the Oline sees a defensive set like this, this is what they do.

Are these SWAC coaches saying this?? Hell no

They not breaking film down like that Lol

I'm not even a coach and I get excited seeing stuff like this unveil. That's what it's meant by their Oline and DLine beat us in the trenches

That's what it means when folks say that saying. They say the saying but don't understand what it's meant behind that statement but these cacs coaches know what it means because they go into detail on teaching these kids the Oline how to block.

Look at our Oline.

Look at our Tackle get blown up. Look at the blitz, this is the same blitz that Bama used against Tenn

Look at our pocket presence.

So we are programmed to think that their Dline is strong and big and all that goofy crap when in fact our tackle can bench more than the DLineman that blew him into the water.

His stance is bad, and his jump out the hole was terrible.

Look at their blitz coverage, confused the hell outta our QB and our WR, we didn't check or anything, because we aint teaching our QB to look for stuff like this.

Coaching brehs, Coaching.

Just this play alone tells me all I need to know about our staff and their staff, has nothing to do with players in this game on this particular play

Look at the LB in the flats, Just look at the angle he takes.

But when he gets back on the side-line, all he's gonna hear is "You gotta wrap up" that Pop Warner football language Lol smh

Just Sad.

Those are drills that are ran repetitively 100-200 times in Miami practices so their LBs can be conditioned to break down, and drive, certain angles and steps/speed. So when they are in games with RB that run 4.4 they can cover these RBs in the flats in open space.

I bet 100 dollars, IF a LB from UGA did that sht, he wouldn't be hearing no dayum "you gotta wrap up" sht when he comes to the sidelines. They would reference his outta control ass movement and over-pursing and lack of breaking down your mid-section.

It's a science to this sht

Our LB was all outta control. Coaching is ass and that LB of ours is a top player so what's the excuse???

Like I said, them empty ass statements that the average fan says is goofy, because I know they don't know any better and don't understand how far the hole goes when it comes to coaching.

We are not doing these type of drills in our practices around this conference. This is an actually drill that's done at OU and Miami. I'm sure else where. LBs going out to tackle in the flats. Over-pursing

I support SU, that's all. I couldn't care for any of these coaches because their level is on some Pop Warner status.

No complex, no chess moves, no game plans or adjustments. Just no dedication on doing more

Just pure trash Lol smh.

Clips I posted can back up my statements. You get tired of seeing the same ole same. But I support SU to answer your question.

The truth makes me out to be a villain but that's not the case, these coaches again, there's a reason why they don't get calls to move up and yall can't see it Lol

Soooooo @Bighead if everyone coaches terribly in this conference, why do you still support it?

Breh,

Did you not see our special teams the 1st 3 games? Now Tell me if that's not embarrassing as a collegiate program?

Tell me if that's not Pop Warner status? Yall can turn the blind eye and whisper, not me, I call that trash sht out and hold them accountable for that trash ass teaching/coaching

It's not that I'm doing these acts, it all falls back on coaching and I'm just calling it out as it being trash.

Hbcus don't beat colleges that aren't hbcus because of coaching. Period. Coaching involves strength training, speed training, adjustments, strategy, game approach, efficient situation practices, nutrition, etc. Yes...it can be done. That is the problem, getting an hbcu coach who beats those teams, too. Alcorn could have come close but Hopson would have needed to get even more creative on things other than just plays and situation awareness. Until then, let the ramp heads play in the same sandlot.

Hbcus don't beat colleges that aren't hbcus because of coaching. Period. Coaching involves strength training, speed training, adjustments, strategy, game approach, efficient situation practices, nutrition, etc. Yes...it can be done. That is the problem, getting an hbcu coach who beats those teams, too. Alcorn could have come close but Hopson would have needed to get even more creative on things other than just plays and situation awareness. Until then, let the ramp heads play in the same sandlot.

What's in bold is training, which is something coaching-adjacent, but not totally coaching. It's support staff (like strength and conditioning and training staff, nutritionists, etc.).

The Xs and Os (strategy, making adjustments, game approach, situational awareness) that's definitely coaching.

Also, other FCS schools that aren't MEAC schools don't typically play our schools when we're up and good. Hell PV should've beaten Sam Houston. Sam plays like a SWAC school, but PV couldn't get the job done. Now that our schools are out of this 9-game conference schedule, ample opportunities to test ourselves against FCS and some FBS competition will help our teams get better. Iron sharpens iron, right?

I think if most approached it w/ a business like acumen instead of the haphazard type approaches I've witnessed over a duration, a lot better results would occur. Self-motivated S&C coupled w/ nutrition and the lack thereof is what perplexes me. Also, it's how personally non-driven so many are. I don't understand how some require others to motivate them to do something that is for their own self betterment. smh True, we don't have all of the fancy smancy facilities of big-state-U and their army of 1000+ dietitians/scientists and protein/smoothie bars @ 12 locations on campus but still, make do w/ what is available to you and use it in earnest efficiently and fully.

I recall way too many instances which substantiate my angle that it all goes back to recruiting those who are motivated, driven, and have an inner hunger to excel rather than simply "going through the process ho-hummmm." It's senseless to keep taking a mule to the kentucky derby to compete against thoroughbreds. smh

Not saying all P5 athletes take this path but you guys are forgetting one MAJOR point, we also don't offer students to take classes for our athletes and have no brainer majors they can major in just to be an athlete that just happened to be enrolled in college. With this leg up the athletes get more time to be just athletes than our people. I know you will say that they have the same rules that we do, but I don't believe they follow those rules like us, the people without a suntan always finds the loopholes while we play by the rules. We do need to get better athletes, coaching, but how do you compete with the stuff they can do? You can't convince me that Alabama have the same amount of practice, film room time as Alabama State

You all really need to stop this nonsense logic lol. I was at Bama State the same time as Darnell Kennedy and had 3 classes with him. Do you know how many times I saw that dude in class that whole year? Now ask me if he failed a single one of those classes. And he wasn't the only one either lol. Hell I stayed in the athletes dorm. This whole rhetoric that most athletes that go to white schools are taking basic math and the athletes that attend HBCU's are legit students is complete nonsense. Where did this logic even come from?? Hell you've had athletes from SWAC schools themselves come on here and dismiss this more than once yet people keep saying it. I spent a good amount of time at Bama State, AAMU and Howard...its just not the real lol. There were dudes that could barely read starting every single Saturday.

Last edited:
What's in bold is training, which is something coaching-adjacent, but not totally coaching. It's support staff (like strength and conditioning and training staff, nutritionists, etc.).

The Xs and Os (strategy, making adjustments, game approach, situational awareness) that's definitely coaching.

Also, other FCS schools that aren't MEAC schools don't typically play our schools when we're up and good. Hell PV should've beaten Sam Houston. Sam plays like a SWAC school, but PV couldn't get the job done. Now that our schools are out of this 9-game conference schedule, ample opportunities to test ourselves against FCS and some FBS competition will help our teams get better. Iron sharpens iron, right?

Playing better competition doesn't equate to your program being better. If that was the case, Missouri would be competing for national championships every year.

You all really need to stop this nonsense logic lol. I was at Bama State the same time as Darnell Kennedy and had 3 classes with him. Do you know how many times I saw that dude in class that whole year? Now ask me if he failed a single one of those classes. And he wasn't the only one either lol. Hell I stayed in the athletes dorm. This whole rhetoric that most athletes that go to white schools are taking basic math and the athletes that attend HBCU's are legit students is complete nonsense. Where did this logic even come from?? Hell you've had athletes from SWAC schools themselves come on here and dismiss this more than once yet people keep saying it. I spent a good amount of time at Bama State, AAMU and Howard...its just not the real lol. There were dudes that could barely read starting every single Saturday.

I wholly believe unk’s words. Which goes right back to recruiting a higher-caliber student-athlete.

The answer is painfully obvious staring you in the face as well as you being honest even about yourself. Did you require someone else to poke and prod you as motivation daily to attend classes/labs while undergrad? lololol To study? To do the right things 100% of the time? Act like an overseer to keep you out of trouble? To watch your nutrition and tell you what is good and and what is bad? To tell you every semester that shooting for a 4.00 is not a bad objective? lol :D I offer no excuses for my mindset past and present because it represents what intelligently driven people are about.

Playing better competition doesn't equate to your program being better. If that was the case, Missouri would be competing for national championships every year.
If one doesn’t change their recruiting methods for improvement, all that occurs is the exact same ass kicking annually. It’s an instant L just waiting to be received.

Pay attention to OOC scores/non-competititivity vs d-1 fbs and fcs HBCU/pwcu.

Back