Case Study SWAC football vs fbs (SU vs utsa)

For FCS programs, our top teams are in the top half nationally.

But FCS/FBS is like comparing H-E-B to the Piggly Wiggly on N 38th and Choctaw

It's not even close!!!

Our best teams can't or don't compete with middle of the pack Fbs teams.

Scott Cochran and others like him are the Difference. We getting those big time transfers and still getting Peter rolled. It's a different world.

Tulane made us look silly and they ain't all that good. I gave up hope in those types of games long ago. Great for revenue but bad for gauging Your program on a FCS level.

You saw what I saw in the nicholls highlight reel? smh Bruh... I seriously think it will take coach Dooley and staff 2 more years to get PVAMU where it needs to be, from a physical standpoint.
It just made no sense on so many levels. I’m glad Simmons is gone. He talked big noise on elevators (yup) but his team’s physicalness never made me say we may be in trouble. Once we punched PV in the nose, game over.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
It's not even close!!!

Our best teams can't or don't compete with middle of the pack Fbs teams.

Scott Cochran and others like him are the Difference. We getting those big time transfers and still getting Peter rolled. It's a different world.

Tulane made us look silly and they ain't all that good. I gave up hope in those types of games long ago. Great for revenue but bad for gauging Your program on a FCS level.

The G5’s and really sorry Power 5s be on blowout mode more for their sake than ours.

I keep telling folks they'd be amazed at what FBS schools have to train athletes.

They sure would. The things they have outside of facilities and the staff. They have nutritionist that have PhD in nutrition on their sideline.

You're speaking Chinese lol :D . Seriously, that's good stuff. Self-motivators are easy to recruit, I think, instead of those who have to be prodded and pushed to do what they need to do for self's betterment and improvement.

Exactly!!! That's what I tell my son. There are ton of coaches that come through this area. You see a kid his size out running the damn coach may stop and ask him about football.

Self motivators are easily coached.

@The Founder I think Dartmouth developed robotic tackling dummies. Some Power 5s (believe Florida State was one of them) have been using GPS devices to track movements while having biometric stuff on the players to measure oxygen consumption and other factors.

I believe Oregon, under Chip Kelly, was developing nutrition plans based on the bloodwork of the players.

Last edited:
It just made no sense on so many levels. I’m glad Simmons is gone. He talked big noise on elevators (yup) but his team’s physicalness never made me say we may be in trouble. Once we punched PV in the nose, game over.

lol You're hurting some feelings. lol :D

lol You're hurting some feelings. lol :D
Dude... The State Fair Classic is our team’s big stage. Our second largest conference game attendance wise and your first. I just wasn’t impressed with Simmons for a multitude of reasons. I hope Dooley doesn’t let those boys quit like Simmons did.

Dude... The State Fair Classic is our team’s big stage. Our second largest conference game attendance wise and your first. I just wasn’t impressed with Simmons for a multitude of reasons. I hope Dooley doesn’t let those boys quit like Simmons did.

To me it wasn't quitting as much as overthinking the game, when you get too far out of character for one game, that game can trip you up

lol You're hurting feelings G4L.

More like Prove a Point mode. LOL.

I just don't get excited about those games anymore. We not on those schools level at any point in our programs.

I don't either. It's like they have an inferiority complex, thus run up the score and build themselves up bigger than what they really are.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
More like Prove a Point mode. LOL.

I just don't get excited about those games anymore. We not on those schools level at any point in our programs.

Nope.

But I still have hope that we can return to that level w/ great recruiting.

Nope.

Talent wise, I think our schools are coming through after the football boom of the 90s-early 2000s along with adjusting to APR.

I think there is going to be a glut of good young hungry coaches coming. We need to recognize that talent as well and cultivate it.

Nope.

Shiiiiiiiiid.... We need Great Strength and Conditioning Programs to
Increase our PLAYER DEVELOPMENT.

We gotta recruit a lot more than 1 kid here and another kid there. We need solid recruiting classes along with outstanding S&C to increase our PLAYER DEVELOPMENT.

@The Founder I think Dartmouth developed robotic tackling dummies. Some Power 5s (believe Florida State was one of them) have been using GPS devices to track movements while having biometric stuff on the players to measure oxygen consumption and other factors.

I believe Oregon, under Chip Kelly, was developing nutrition plans based on the bloodwork of the players.

At OU, there is a 70-yard track with built-in underground sensors that measure, in real-time, how fast guys are running.

And speaking of Oregon, the football program designed the locker room in such a way to reduce the number of steps players took to the practice field to reduce energy consumption.

At OU, there is a 70-yard track with built-in underground sensors that measure, in real-time, how fast guys are running.

And speaking of Oregon, the football program designed the locker room in such a way to reduce the number of steps players took to the practice field to reduce energy consumption.

And Oregon still doesn’t win consistently on that level. They’ve always had to rely on gimmicks an stuff to recruit. Alabama wins with girth.

And Oregon still doesn’t win consistently on that level. They’ve always had to rely on gimmicks an stuff to recruit. Alabama wins with girth.

Before Nick Saban, Alabama couldn't just trade on its name to get the pick-of-the-litter athletes for a while. Winning all those championships (and investing in the program from top to bottom to attract guys) helps.

The majority of programs have to rely on some unconventional means to land recruits. It's an arms race out there, and schools gotta do what they gotta do to separate themselves from the competition. But Oregon was a consistent 10-win team from 2008-2015 and played for the national championship twice. That's the same number of times as Ohio State during that span.

Last edited:
We've been saying this for years on here. That's why the MEAC can compete with/beat lower tier FBS teams because of their OL/DL play. Grambling has a similar type line as well as Alcorn on the OL (lost to FIU 17-10 last year).

Eh... I mean a winless Charlotte, UNLV or Kent State aren't exactly great examples here. The good G5 teams would still rip the MEAC easily. And it's not just the line play either but that does have a lot to do with it. They still recruit better skill positions too.

This is precisely why we need to schedule more FCS non conference games (not just limited to the MEAC either)

This doesn't make you better if you don't get the same athletes. I'm not sure why people still believe this. The MEAC has played these games for 20 years and still hasn't won a playoff game since 1999. What about Tennessee State, hell they play IN a PWC conference and still haven't gotten close to a championship game. You win by getting better athletes, better coaches and having a program in place to groom those players.

Oregon had their run just like pretty much every other program. Florida had theirs, Tennessee had theirs, Alabama has theirs, Texas had theirs, etc. Hell Alabama was losing to ULM before Saban. They'll have another run at some point.

Eh... I mean a winless Charlotte, UNLV or Kent State aren't exactly great examples here. The good G5 teams would still rip the MEAC easily. And it's not just the line play either but that does have a lot to do with it. They still recruit better skill positions too.

Put those teams against schools not named Grambling or Alcorn and they win by at least 4 TDs easily. 85 versus 50-something is real. I'm not short changing what those teams did.

The closest the SWAC has come is Alcorn losing by a TD (twice) and Grambling by 10.

Back