Case Study SWAC football vs fbs (SU vs utsa)

Lenard

It's the LOS and play-selection that causes these lop-sided victories. In these highlights, look how easily utsa's OL dominates SU's DL and how overpowering utsa's DL is over SU's OL (qb pressures, only 84 yds rushing, net'ing 65 yds passing, 5 QB sacks). The same scenario plays out likewise in other games so no singling SU out when all stand accused, for the most part.

If the SWAC ever purports to get over the proverbial OOC hump, it must recruit higher-caliber OL and DL.

I agree with your sentiment. But that's always the case when we play up ... athletes in the trenches.

UTSA DID have a first-round draft pick at DE too.

Right. That's why SU needs to go after this OL-----------> Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge High School (CISD) 6'5" 308 - 4* .

And this 3* DE--------> T'Vondre Sweat, Huntsville High School (HISD) 6'3" 249.

tx tech, baylor, ut-austin, blah blah blah fbs'ers are on them. Get in the fray and compete!

Why do you all think GSU goes after transfers.... Yet, folks feel that there is something wrong with that. Let's face it there are some great athletes to go play for power schools but the bench is so deep they won't see daylight. So they transfer but they want to transfer to the best or a school with a brand.

I will have to disagree.

Comes down to teaching and coaching.

Football I.Q.

Football verbiage

X's and O's

Coaches in this league don't "study" the game. Those coaches at that level been around coaches that "study" the game or watch film of their teams and copy their approach to the game.

Take for example. If I was a coach playing a team, 1st thing I would do is see how many times X Wr is targeted on such and such play, what's the % of the QB throwing to his right vs throwing to his left and I'll game plan for that aspect with my Front 7 coaches. We wanna force the QB to throw to his Left on the run. etc.

We aint got coaches going that in-depth wit their game planning Lol.

Which way does their O-line shift when we show a high 7 look vs a 8 man look

What happens if we move our SS within 3-6 yards of the LOS, what's their counter plays.

We aint in these rooms doing that, or unpacking things like that Lol

It's levels to this game here.

Last edited:
I will have to disagree.

Comes down to teaching and coaching.

Football I.Q.

Football verbiage

X's and O's

Coaches in this league don't "study" the game. Those coaches at that level been around coaches that "study" the game or watch film of their teams and copy their approach to the game.

Take for example. If I was a coach playing a team, 1st thing I would do is see how many times X Wr is targeted on such and such play, what's the % of the QB throwing to his right vs throwing to his left and I'll game plan for that aspect with my Front 7 coaches. We wanna force the QB to throw to his Left on the run. etc.

We aint got coaches going that in-depth wit their game planning Lol.

Which way does their O-line shift when we show a high 7 look vs a 8 man look

What happens if we move our SS within 3-6 yards of the LOS, what's their counter plays.

We aint in these rooms doing that, or unpacking things like that Lol

It's levels to this game here.
You can gameplan and X and O for an elementary school pee wee squad to battle a varsity 6A team but it still won't do any good unless the pee wee squad has comparable athletic talent in the trenches and skill positions. Do you not agree? lol

College Football at the big time is so much a business. 1 of my coworkers knows nearly everything about Georgia. At UGA, they track the players endurance during the game. How much is a player perspiring, or show signs of fatigue.

You can gameplan and X and O for an elementary school pee wee squad to battle a varsity 6A team but it still won't do any good unless the pee wee squad has comparable athletic talent in the trenches and skill positions. Do you not agree? lol

This is why I fully understood what Doug Williams was saying when he said, "they wouldn't play us back in the day." Meaning these big programs have some of the best players but when the HBCUs had the best players they did not want to play us for fear of losing.

Coach Fobbs said the only difference between FBS and BCS are the lineman. We have to recruit in the trenches. If you don't have a pass rush. It want matter a bit of difference, if Deion Sanders is back there.

It doesn't get more clear than this.

Skill position athletes are a dime a dozen, for the most part. It's the OL/DL guys that make or break a game. It's very easy to dissect when watching highlights. The way fbs teams block and sustain those blocks to create those nice clear alleys to run. Amazing to watch, even on the receiving end.

Last edited:
It doesn't get more clearer than this.

Skill position athletes are a dime a dozen, for the most part. It's the OL/DL guys that make or break a game. It's very easy to dissect when watching highlights. The way fbs teams block and sustain those blocks to create those nice clear alleys to run. Amazing to watch, even on the receiving end.

Why do you think Alabama is always playing championship game every year? They have outstanding OL\DL play.

They just pound on people and by the 4th quarter, you are tired. Man, they the most simple playbook in the world.

Why do you think Alabama is always playing championship game every year? They have outstanding OL\DL play.

They just pound on people and by the 4th quarter, you are tired. Man, they the most simple playbook in the world.

Go to the :27 mark of the clip above and look @ that alley. I stopped following the ball a loooooooooooong time ago and focus on watching how one of our OL gets tossed to the side by a 40lb lighter and stronger DT/DE of the opposing team. Or, to determine if our front 4-5 (w/out the blitz) are being effective and actually progressing towards the QB and collapsing the pocket.

I think Coach Odums finally got some OL/DL depth...we'll see what happens. Bewildered is right on the mark though.

That's apples and oranges.

Pee Wee kids are not stronger as a 6A varsity team.

What pee wee kid you know can bench 200-300 pounds? What pee wee kid can run a 4.4? and stands tall at 6'3?

Bad example breh

As I mentioned before, SU had the best talent in the SWAC but could never beat Alcorn, that cac ran this conference because of his thinking of the game.
He knew how to shutdown SU offense, which was the only school in the SWAC that could figure us out. We struggled against his teams and we had the better talent. So out goes that whole better talent argument. It came down to "coaching" and "teaching" and "game-planning" I heard ppl saying we need bigger Dlineman and bigger LBs smh, I aint open my mouth because I knew the hole ran deeper than that.

Not about the Joes and the Willies. We had Tillery, Quinn, Austin, Morgan, Menard, etc and we still was getting blasted by Alcorn who had a bunch of nobodies, hell their back-up QB ran all over us, he made himself a highlight tape on us in his 1st start I wanna say. Lol

Last edited:

Man our coaches in the league don't even blitz how these cats blitz.

In that same game or maybe it was the team we played with their head coach being the cac that coached at Alcorn, they used the same identical blitz package/personal/angles and everything against us on a play that Bama used against Tenn last year.

I took that play and clipped it and then clipped the same blitz play bama used, it was the exact same, the only difference was the different color uniforms and numbers. They even called the blitz on the same down and distance that we were in. I think it was 3rd and 9 for us and maybe 3rd and 11 for Tenn.
Knowing when to blitz, Knowing How to Blitz, Knowing who to send to blitz, man we aint putting that much energy trying to figure that out.

If you ask a coach in this conference, Tell me why you sent that blitz on this down and with that player, I bet 100 dollars they couldn't give you a good football knowledgeable answer.

Prolly give you some sh1t like "Oh I just felt the need to put some pressure on that QB" Smh sad.

No clown, there's a reasoning for you doing certain things, When you send a blitz, you should know where the ball would more likely go off the blitz you call and who should be in position to get a INT or a sack or something. You should know what the QB will do on said blitzes, Most will just send a blitz to put pressure on the QB, instead of trying to cause a TO outta that called blitz smh.
Get the ball out quick, it's 3rd 16, let me send this blitz
Sad ass mindset

The corner came from the exact same side and the FS did it's job just like how Bama's defense did.

That's game-planning, not that stuff you talking about, that half-asses stuff, and you may ask me how I know, well I go to the games and watch them half-ass plays, sad ass blitzes called with no confusion or anything, that's how I know our coaches are half-asses it. They don't make the QB or OLine think.

They are not game-planning or teaching things or making stuff complicated for the offenses in this league or O.C.s

That's why I say all that talk about bigger Olinemen and D-Linemen is irrelevant when you can't teach them how to block at an angle or get off blocks and move to the 2nd level.

Moving and getting to the 2nd level, I just heard that terminology used this year by our staff. "getting to the next level" was in a tweet and that was my first time seeing this when in fact I've been saying it for the past 2 or 3 years, but now it's in our vocabulary now?? Lol Ok

And I can prove that it's something new by pulling down clip and seeing if getting to the next level is being taught before somebody be on some "Man just cuz you just heard it now from them, doesn't mean that they haven't been saying it" smh Lol.

Watch tape and answer that for yourself.

Last edited:
If they've got better athletes then you better be more mature, have better technicians, play smart & get after it in the weight room.

You also need to have a program that is consistent. You can run a college team like a high school.

Saint Augustine's Track team should be a replica for us, all.

That's apples and oranges.

Pee Wee kids are not stronger as a 6A varsity team.

What pee wee kid you know can bench 200-300 pounds? What pee wee kid can run a 4.4? and stands tall at 6'3?

Bad example breh

As I mentioned before, SU had the best talent in the SWAC but could never beat Alcorn, that cac ran this conference because of his thinking of the game.
He knew how to shutdown SU offense, which was the only school in the SWAC that could figure us out. We struggled against his teams and we had the better talent. So out goes that whole better talent argument. It came down to "coaching" and "teaching" and "game-planning" I heard ppl saying we need bigger Dlineman and bigger LBs smh, I aint open my mouth because I knew the hole ran deeper than that.

Not about the Joes and the Willies. We had Tillery, Quinn, Austin, Morgan, Menard, etc and we still was getting blasted by Alcorn who had a bunch of nobodies, hell their back-up QB ran all over us, he made himself a highlight tape on us in his 1st start I wanna say. Lol
Right. Apples vs oranges comparing fbs to fcs. Even the recruiting strategy differs. Couldn’t agree w/ you more BH.

Quality linemen are in too high of demand and aren't going sign to play against lower competition. Conference has to get better overall and focus on getting FBS transfers.

Back