Candidates for SWAC Commissioner

EarleSU, sorry for the misunderstanding. I get excited when it come to giving up top level positions. Having desegregated several systems, and seeing them reversed in the 90s get my blood boiling. :)

Until we have balance in our society, I will not yield.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I agree pretty much with what everyone's saying about experience, innovation, creativity, etc. But, I don't agree that we HAVE to interview ONLY those that apply. Most of the jobs in athletics are filled when the search committee actually "searches" for the right person. You'll never have a diverse and qualified list of individuals if you only interview those who apply. That's why you have to pick up the phone, send some emails and do whatever it takes to have a good pool of folks from which to choose your commissioner.

When you hear about great individuals, you recruit them. Most black schools wouldn't have athletes if they waited for those who applied. That's why you recruit and that's what the SWAC needs to do. There ar PLENTY of young, innovative and intelligent individuals who are working as asst. or assoc AD's or commissioners. Quite a few are HBCU grads. You can be an HBCU grad but have had all of your experience at non-HBCU institutions. So, it's possible.

But, it goes back to what someone else said: do the presidents really want someone fresh and new? That's the question. I know there are some qualified people out there with the characteristics we all mentioned. Will the presidents want to bring them in? That would mean major changes and we all wonder if they are ready for that.

Originally posted by Jag-Tig
But, I don't agree that we HAVE to interview ONLY those that apply. Most of the jobs in athletics are filled when the search committee actually "searches" for the right person.

Baby (where the hell you been),

I feel ya, but there is one thing that you need to realize about this situation. There was no search committee for this position. :(

SAD!!! :(

I hope I am wrong about this, but I don't think so!

WE do need to "search" for a highly qualified person. I don't think we should pick someone because they are black, but a black person that is qualified (there is a difference). I am sorry, I still don't see how we can have 40,000 at the SCG in a free staduim and lose money.

SOG:

No, I am not suggesting, by any stretch of the imagination, that the SWAC needs a [white] commissioner; quite the contrary! My gut feeling is that the SWAC administration has done such a lousy job in critical areas that anyone whose experience is substantially confined to the SWAC would probably give us more of the same. While I do not advocate the hiring of a white commissioner, I remain adamant in my position that race and ethnicity should not be exclusionary measures used to narrow a field of otherwise qualified candidates.

I just want the SWAC to grow and prosper. I dont care who is charge, just as long as he or she is moving the conference forward. I hate stagnation and this is where this conference has been for too long. The universities that form SWAC membership are better than than the SWAC as an administrative athletic entity. These schools deserve better than what they have had to endure. Don't get me wrong! Any bright, energetic, competent SWAC alumnus with committment, dedication, and loyalty would be deserving of consideration for this all-important job more than anyone else.

Originally posted by Earle SU
SOG:

No, I am not suggesting, by any stretch of the imagination, that the SWAC needs a [white] commissioner; quite the contrary! My gut feeling is that the SWAC administration has done such a lousy job in critical areas that anyone whose experience is substantially confined to the SWAC would probably give us more of the same. While I do not advocate the hiring of a white commissioner, I remain adamant in my position that race and ethnicity should not be exclusionary measures used to narrow a field of otherwise qualified candidates.

I just want the SWAC to grow and prosper. I dont care who is charge, just as long as he or she is moving the conference forward. I hate stagnation and this is where this conference has been for too long. The universities that form SWAC membership are better than than the SWAC as an administrative athletic entity. These schools deserve better than what they have had to endure. Don't get me wrong! Any bright, energetic, competent SWAC alumnus with committment, dedication, and loyalty would be deserving of consideration for this all-important job more than anyone else.

I feel ya Earle. No argument here. We both want the same thing for the SWAC. Growth and prosperity

this is turning to be biased, that Patrick guy appeals to GSU folks because he is a Grambling grad while Casem wil appeal to Alcorn and SU folks while the other candidates I heard who are not on the list will appeal to folks from their respective schools.

How old is Casem? He's been aroung the SWAC a long time, he's
probably the best qualified candidate, but I question his Marketing skills. What's the beginning salary for the SWAC Commissioner? I think the salary should be about $200,000 per year, comparable to that of a SWAC president.

Originally posted by Maroon & Grey
this is turning to be biased, that Patrick guy appeals to GSU folks because he is a Grambling grad while Casem wil appeal to Alcorn and SU folks while the other candidates I heard who are not on the list will appeal to folks from their respective schools.

What does P. Carter being a Grambling grad have to do with this? Not one poster in this thread has endorsed any of the people mentioned. Some of you people just post for the hell of it and have no idea what you talking about at times.

*sheesh* :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SAME OLD G
Some of you people just post for the hell of it and have no idea what you talking about at times.

You ain't lied about that......but's it's like that on all the boards.

Wasn't Patrick a member of Rudy's staff? What makes him so innovative versus a Lonza Hardy?

(Machiavelli)
PATRICK CARTER

SWAC ALUM
FAMILAR WITH PROCEEDURE
LATE 30'S IN AGE
SMART/INNOVATIVE

Hell, Jason jenkins would make a great candidate according to those things that GSU guy stated. I wonder if he applied? :confused:

Just for the record...

No SU folk support Casem for hsit.

Re: Just for the record...

Originally posted by Seeing Spots

No SU folk support Casem for hsit.

What Seeing Spot said!!!

No SU alum I know wants Marino to be SWAC commish. I know Pete is probably shaking his head at the thought. Plus he does have such a hatred of JSU which he will be very biased against. Jag-Tig, SOG, EarleSU and Lewis have made some good points. I don't care what school the commish comes from if they can do a good job. If Carter is the best man for the job then I am for him. His going to GSU is no concern to me. But I am with SOG on this one. The SWAC has no search commitee. The SWAC presidents should step inand say we are going nation wide with our search. But they want. Hell they are the problem. BTW, I heard PV's president resigned.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

What does P. Carter being a Grambling grad have to do with this? Not one poster in this thread has endorsed any of the people mentioned. Some of you people just post for the hell of it and have no idea what you talking about at times.

Did not Mach mention Patrick Carter in so many words?

Wasn't Patrick a member of Rudy's staff? What makes him so innovative versus a Lonza Hardy?

Hell, everyone that was on Rudy's staff is still there, so whats your point? Other than the fact that P. Carter is with the SWAC now, what else do you know about him? Probably nothing.

Truth of the matter is, P. Carter worked with the CIAA (which currently does a better job of running a conference than the SWAC) before he got with the SWAC, so its not like he doesn't have any experience.

Hell, Jason jenkins would make a great candidate according to those things that GSU guy stated. I wonder if he applied? :confused:

Now who's being biased? Truth of the matter is that Jenkins just may make a pretty good candidate, but considering the job he just took with the 49ers I seriously doubt...and I can't say that I blame him.

I can't speak for Mach, but I think those statments were based on the fact that he knows P. Carter personally...we both do. So the statement was made based on what we know. It wasn't just a blanket statement because he went to Grambling.

SOG makes a good point. Now how many folks have spoken to their AD and President about this position?

I know TSU people have and us PV folks spoke to our interim president as well as their AD. Hell, we suggested a commissioner.

But I'll tell you Patrick Carter looks to be on the same level as others. I heard former Valley AD Chuck Prophet applied also.

They say Carter is so innovative with this and that but what has he done to prove to us that he is so innovative?

Rudy was a good commish but that damn cookie jar is a mother.

Originally posted by COACH

And what are you looking at??? based on what??

Thats just the point, he doesn't know what he is looking at and has nothing to base it on. He is just making a blanket statement just to be making a point. He probably never heard of Patrick Carter until now.

I can't speak for Mach, but I think those statments were based on the fact that he knows P. Carter personally...we both do. So the statement was made based on what we know. It wasn't just a blanket statement because he went to Grambling.

I'LL LET YOU THIS TIME. WHAT YOU SAID IS TRUE.

I never met or seen Patrick, all I know he is short, light skinned and has a beard and runs with the red head lady who is from Gram also.

To prove the GSU influence in the SWAC office, they changed the times at the SWAC tennis meet one year and forgot to call PV.

Then also I was told the goodie bags they give athletes have dwindled considerably over the past 4 years. Folks ain't handling their business in there.

Back