Cable or Broadband?

Mike

Ace Dawg! RQQ!!!!
Which is better? We need help in a decision of which to chose. Right now we are on a waiting list for Broadband services, but there is no set time for it's availability in our neighborhood. But, cable is already here.

What would you do or recommend?

BTW, we don't have cable. We are on the Dish Network, so I guess the cable guy will have to install another line.....

In broadband you mean DSL, right?

Well they are basically the same as in performance, but DSL can be trickier to install...

I am no techy, but I think the question should be.

Cable or DSL?

From my understand, Cable and DSL are both broadband methods.

OK, Cable or DSL?

Pi....er Panthro!

I have not heard of wireless DSL. What is the difference? I can't get DSL in my area until they set it up. This dayum neighborhood ain't but four years old and the MFers didn't hook it up. Anyway, please elaborate more. I don't want to go into a Cable contract if there is a way to get something better.

Also, I heard that there is no voice over data in Cable modems. Is this true?

Well Mike, I was in your same situation. I wasn't close enough to a central station to get DSL but I could get cable. I just had the cable broadband service installed this past saturday and I like it so much better over the dial up service I had. Another choice you may want to look at since you have the dish network is the starband service they have, you can get it over your satelitte. I think the initial startup is a little pricey but it is suppose to give you a T1 connection both ways.

Re: OK, Cable or DSL?

Originally posted by Mike
Pi....er Panthro!
Also, I heard that there is no voice over data in Cable modems. Is this true?

What do you mean by this? A DSL connection allows you to talk on the phone and use the internet, but a cable modem is just a line from the cable company providing internet or tv channels if you choose..

Where I live. cable is only a little bit faster than dsl.. downstreams of 290 upstreams of 50k are not uncommon...

It all depends on your cable system and how they implement the service.. I have heard that some companies "cap" your upload speed to some small number like 12k... this isn't soooo bad, but it limits what you can share with others...

I don't think you need a contract to get RoadRunner do you? I believe they have had free installation for the longest in Houston. Correct me if I am wrong....

and Kenn broadband does encompass all of the said services.. DSL, Cable, Sattelite, etc... good catch on that one.... :)

Both cable and dsl are broadband services. The major differences is dsl gives you a direct link to the phone company. With cable, you share your link with others in your neighborhood. With cable the speed can vary based upon the number of people in the area that are using the service at the same time. Cable is currently easier to have installed because, normally there is little to no startup cost and most neighborhoods are already wired because the cable company uses existing equipment deliver service. With DSL, you have to live within a few miles of the phone companys central station. Outlying areas or new neighborhoods are still to far away. Also with DSL the start up cost is much higher and can take longer to have installed.

I currently have Cable and when the cable guy came install my service, he told me I was the only one on my block with the service. I'm always downloading at high speeds. A friend with the service in another part of town does not get to experience the same speeds all the time. More people in his area have the service.

Thanks!

But Fiyah!

That satellite stuff was about 500 bones on the installation. I'm not about to kick out that kinda chettah. Hell, I'll stick with an old dial-up before I do that! Anyway, I'll way the options more and then decide.

Fiyah, are you on Roadrunner? We can't get any of that stuff in this new arse neighborhood. :redhot:

I bet you got a million tv's from Huntsville

"L" just hook each one up to a different system...

one operate'n via cable
one operate'n via satellite
one operate'n via DSL
one operate'n via Nuggah rigged

You ain't watch'n that much t-v....:lol:

Signed,
Non-Houstonian Implant

True, the question should be Cable vs DSL.

The only drawback with Cable modem is that the user shares the connection speed. The user shares the connection with everybody in a particular area. I.E. a neighborhood. The reason why some are seeing high speeds with their cable modem is because there is not a lot of users of Cable modems in their area. But once the number of users increase the download/upload speeds will decrease. In english, if you have a download speed of 100 and you are the only person on your cable router then that is great. but if you add another person, ie #ofuser/2. the speed is decreased to 50 to balance out the 2 of you. so now you are getting half the speeds you was recieving before the second person joined.

Now there are other factors involved with this. The 2 of you online at the same time. the 2 of you downloading something at the same time. for example.

With DSL, this is not the case. True you must live within a area of service but the way DSL is spreading it will not be long before the service is available to everyone in a city.

Satellite, I would not do. When it is Raining outside and the signal is down. Guess what, the internet service will be down as well. So, that is a no if you live in Houston.

Mike, I recommend going to www.southwesternbell.com and check to see if you are in the area for DSL. If not, give them a call to see when they are going to supply coverage to your area. Call them Mike and be firm on recieving a date for coverage in your area.

So remember Mike, Cable modems are nice now but the more people in your neighborhood that jumps aboard, slows you down. Satellite in stormy weather you could loose your signal with the satellite. and with DSL you have to wait for the service in your area.

DSL is what i recommend and call for the coverage.
:cool:

Thanks Docmump!

You would think that I should have thought of all that about the Satellite deal. Expecially since I work and deal with Satellite stuff everyday. Plus, when it rains hear in Houston, it ain't no joke.

well we can go with Cable until the DSL is in our area. they don't make you go with a contract. So, we will pay for that until DSL is available.

Mike on the satellite tip, the service is basically one way on the high speed service. You are still sending out you data on a regular land line. Just the download is faster. And how could you forget about the rain attenuation problem. What are ya, new? :D

All of the info you've received on this in valuable in making a choice. With DSL, Ms. J4J can talk to Tara on the phone about MikeBigg while you are telling Suge what she's doing on the SWACpage. On the down side, DSL could be a while in reaching your neighborhood. Also, some of the less technically inclined brothers may hear about your new DSL's, and try to take them off of your ride. "He got some new Dubs called DSL maann."

Cable is the quick fix if its available. Look for a special. Maybe a free modem or installation. Comcast does that here alot. And yeah, the speed drops when the usage is higher, but its still faster than the regular phone line. But when the cable is down, so is your internet connection.

But maybe you should think about why you need the faster speed. Is it because you download alot of large data files, like music or video? Is it to play games, or is it just surfing, E-mailing and/or posting on the SWACpage? Decide if the extra cost is worth the convience of the faster speed.

Dizzam!!!! Y'all R all on top of it!

Sorry for responding so late Mike. Been one of those days.

Everybody hit the nail on the head w/ the pluses/minuses of one over the other. Those speeds will vary according to what the local market needs.

I mentioned wireless modem via broadband and that is completely a lie. It's wireless modem via your wireless supplier. The next generation wireless offerings slated for this year (I'm not exactly 100% sure when Houston will lift off during 2002) has a new wireless modem card that has a minimum connectivity speed of 57.6Kbps. Not good you may say. But, considering that it's completely wireless (non-wireline period) and <b>allegedly</b> 87+% accurate (connectivity) and you can literally take that show on the road (interchangeable between laptop/PocketPC/palm/etc.), it's tremendous and state of the art. I've JUST received my first 2 days ago and it's terrific. "L", sitting in the restaurant/middle of no where, I can surf/e-mail/web access from my PocketPC.

If I were to recommend and IF your neighbors weren't too "techy" and didn't show no interest in broadband, I'd go w/ broadband 100% (for cost and speed). If reliability/criticality were an issue, DSL would be my choice. My .02.

Mike, I have the cable service and it's pretty good.

Panthro, the wireless service that was in Houston, went out of business last summer. AT&T used to have the wireless system too, but they too closed their services. The only other wireless service out there is Sprint and if they run it the way they run their cell phone service, it'll suck.

MikeB, you are wrong about the one way service for the satelittes, there are 2 services that provide 2-way speed. One is Starband and I can't remember the name of the other company but I'll look it up. You are correct about the rain and the satelittes.

The speed of a cable modem isn't as bad as SWBell would have you believe. The cable companies sued them for putting that information out and they won a injunction for them to stop.

Mike, cable is cheaper than DSL and all the equipment is free with no installation cost. Go to this site www.roadrunner.com/sm15 and register. In the comments section put this code in it "sm15" and you should get the first 3 months for $19.95. Although the offer has expired you can talk them into giving it to you anyway. They'll do it for the business.

I've had Southwestern Bell DSL since Sept 2000. It has it moments when it's good and bad. For the most part though it's works fine for me.

Interesting....

Fiyah:

I take it PrimeCo was the former one that went out of biz? If so, AT&T Wireless just purchased the rights to that market (Houston proper) last year and went public w/ the acquisition last mid-summer forward. MORE TREMENDOUS wireless services for the <b>3rd Generation</b> wireless provisions should ensue shortly for the greater Houston area. I don't know the exact date(s) yet, but, trust me, they're coming.

Also, don't forget that Mike and K are out in Bucktussa, Texas ( :emlaugh: ); so, they may not have access to the SAME type of privileges that you may enjoy by being in an area that has technology. You know Mike and K have their own water well and all out yonder in that Clear Lake area. LOL (couldn't help it guys LOL)

Don't forget to mention....

Your CABLE Connection Speed will also vary on your PC.
If you have a slow PC, no matter how much 'HighSpeed' is out there...
if your PC's HARDDRIVE is slow, full, etc...
if your PC's MEMORY is limited...
if your PC's PROCESSOR is slow...

You are not going to get page loads, etc... like you would if you have a GREAT Conditioned PC. Or Good conditioned.

Some people I connected FASTER than I do in my area because they got them 'funky fresh' GIG MACHINES!!! w/ 100megahertz Processors, 256megs of DDRAM!!!

So that also goes into to play also...

FYI:
CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS
Cable Speed Packages...

1* @ 385 kbs
2* @ 768 kbs
3* @ 1.5 megs

Try Earthlink

Being that @ Earthlink we have both cable and DSL if you don't like your cable connection you can always try the DSL connection.

And both are around the same price

Cable 41.95
DSL 49.95

Back