Burks, Prairie View Beat Jackson State

C-LeB28

Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle News Services

PRAIRIE VIEW -- Greg Burks hit a field goal with 28 seconds left Monday night to give Prairie View a 62-62 victory over Jackson State.

It was Burks' third straight game-winning shot.

Malachi Thurston led Prairie View (6-7, 5-0 Southwestern Athletic Conference) with 20 points. He also grabbed a team-high 12 rebounds.

Ishmael Joyce led Jackson State (4-11, 3-3) with 27 points. Tim Henderson added 13 and grabbed a team-high 10 rebounds.

With the win, Prairie View extended its winning streak to five for the first time since the 1997-98 season.

The Panthers are tied with Alabama State for the conference lead and have their best conference start in more than 30 years.

Burks scored 19 points, and had six assists and four rebounds for Prairie View.

Cliff Walker scored 14 points and had seven rebounds for Jackson State.

Burks hit a shot that gave us a 63-62 lead and then Thurston hit 2 free throws with 6.95 seconds left to make it a 3 point lead. We can't get no home cooking with these SWAC refs, they were giving JSU all the close calls and everytime PV would get a run going they would stop play and slow everything down. We couldn't get it going and take control of this game.

we're winning the close games and ending these crazy streaks SWAC schools had against us. I'll take a ugly win but my heart will go out if we keep playing this way.

Originally posted by Blu Panther
we're winning the close games and ending these crazy streaks SWAC schools had against us. I'll take a ugly win but my heart will go out if we keep playing this way.
Man blu just take it anyway it come you guys were in the sellar a looong time and I got to admit it feels gonna good to see ya rollin for a change and not on ESPN every nite waitng to see when you guys would win one. :nod2: :nod2:

Luck is going to run out. I like how JSU is playing right now. The season is still young and the rest of the teams that have any chance of beating JSU have to come to Jacktown. My road concern at this point is Valley but I think we are going to sweep them and finish strong in the SWAC.

We only have three losses and they are to the top three teams in the league. We played poorly against Alabama View but we played well enough against TxSo and PV to win. We also changed our lineup after the loss to Alabama View. I don't think we will end up in first place but we can make to Bham and once we get there, everyone is 0-0. We almost made it to Bham last year with a depleted team. Ain't no stopping us in 2003.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
We only have three losses and they are to the top three teams in the league.

What you're saying is that you're smalltime!!!

We almost made it to Bham last year
More smalltime stuff there!!!!

btw, any idea what team stopped you from getting to Bham last year?
:goof: :goof:

But I digress, don't let me stop you from being happy that JSU is in 5th place, just got swept and can't beat any of the top teams.

Congrats!!!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

MH, the top three teams have to come to Jackson now so they can't cheat like TxSo did. PV is actually playing like hot garbage and that luck is going to run out. Alabama View never goes undefeated and they won't this year either.

Originally posted by mighty hornet
But I digress, don't let me stop you from being happy in 5th place.

This comment seems familar..........hmmmmmmmm............I've heard this somewhere before, but I just cant seem to put my finger on it.

:uhoh:

Leave it to Mighty Hornet to turn yet another harmless JSU article on the sports page into smack.

BTW.... name the last time you saw a JSU article that had absolutely nothing to do with Alabama State and didn't butt in....

No life.....

_ _ _!!!

:smh:

The refs kept ya'll in the game against PV, hopefully it won't be that way the 2nd time around. We shot poorly from the field and didn't get the ball down low. If it wasn't for #32 jacking up all those 3's, it wouldn't have been that close. The refs gave Stoglin all the calls he wanted, Francis is new to the conferance and hasn't got that kind of pull yet. But we will be in B'Ham this year, gotta go make some traveling plans to my itinerary.

prodigy,
Please don't bring your whiny butt over here!

Damn!

I'm avoiding NSM from now on. So damn sensitive.
:smh:

ummmm TP,
again congrats on 5th place! And are you saying the refs cheated you out of a win against TxSu?

Originally posted by Tigerpride
PV is actually playing like hot garbage and that luck is going to run out. .

So if PV is playing like hot garbage !!! Please explain how JSU is playing with two back to back "L's"

Originally posted by Quietstorm

So if PV is playing like hot garbage !!! Please explain how JSU is playing with two back to back "L's"

Post "excuse" here TP-------------------> :lol:

Back