Bulldog Notes

Blacknbengal

Bulldogs learning the hard way

08/20/03

Huntsville Times

In an effort to teach his team about the importance of discipline, coach Anthony Jones had his team run a few extra sprints after practice on Tuesday.

The Bulldogs made some mistakes during conditioning and paid for them with some extra running.

"The purpose of that was to teach them how to be a disciplined football team," Jones said. "We have to be the most disciplined football team we've had around here in years if we're going to have any success because people are going to be gunning for us.

"When you come into the season as a favorite, you're going to face some adversity. If you're not ready to face it with discipline, a lot of frustration is going to set in and when that happens, your football team can go downhill. I don't want that to be a part of our mix."

A&M, which won the Southwestern Athletic Conference East Division title and advanced to the league championship game last season, has been picked to repeat.

Youth movement: Jones said up to a dozen newcomers could play in the season opener against Jacksonville State on Aug. 30.

Several of them, including offensive linemen Chris Franklin and Jamaal Henry, and defensive tackle Fred Solomon will be in the starting lineup.

The other newcomers who will likely play includes offensive lineman Kristian Smith, wide receivers Kevin Francis and Emmanual Edwards, tight end Deshalen Barber, running back Trevis O'Neal, inside linebacker Henry Roberson, defensive back Henry Washington and defensive tackle Kelvin Lockhart.

Jones is smiling: Jones was pleased for the second straight day with the way his team competed on both sides of the ball.

"Offensively, we have our moments and defensively, we have our moments," he said. "I like what I see because both sides are competing. We're competing more offensively that we've ever done since I've been here and defensively, we're still doing a lot of good things."

Furthermore: X-rays on inside linebacker Johnny Baldwin's right ankle were negative and he should be back in time for the season opener against Jacksonville State on Aug. 30. ... Defensive end Lieutenant Dukes, inside linebacker Lionel Macklin and cornerback Henry Freeman were back at practice Tuesday after missing Monday's afternoon session. ... With Baldwin sidelined for the second straight day, freshman Henry Roberson worked with the defense at sam linebacker. "Roberson has stepped up," Jones said. "He's going to play. Johnny is the starter, but Roberson is right behind him."

Reggie Benson

Wilson's move from QB to tight end boosts offense

End a beginning at A&M

Wilson's move from QB to tight end boosts offense

08/20/03

By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff reggieb@htimes.com

Nobody ever questioned Jake Wilson's ability. One of Alabama A&M's better athletes, Wilson could have played any number of positions for the Bulldogs.

In fact, annually it seemed, Wilson's name was bandied about when talk turned to changing positions. He never did until last season. Still, he wasn't crazy about it.

When Anthony Jones replaced Ron Cooper as the Bulldogs coach, he poured over film from the 2001 season to see what he had. He believed Wilson, a seldom-used quarterback under Cooper, could help him at tight end.

"After watching film, the one thing I knew about Jake was that he was tough," Jones said. "The other thing I knew, after talking to him, was that he wanted to be successful. I looked at what we had at tight end and realized we weren't very deep there and moved him there because he could run and he was tough.

"I thought if I could teach him some footwork and how to use his hands, he'd be a good tight end for us. Our staff worked extremely hard with him and he took to the teaching, and he's been rolling ever since."

Initially, Wilson wasn't keen on the idea.

He still wanted to play quarterback, particularly after the way he finished the 2001 season.

Wilson sparked the Bulldogs to a pair of season-ending wins over Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Mississippi Valley State, recording back-to-back 100-yard rushing games, while throwing for 136 yards against the Delta Devils. In both games, A&M finished with more than 500 yards in total offense.

As a result, Wilson had hoped to get a chance to win the job. That was before Jones came along and moved him to tight end.

"I had to get adjusted," said Wilson, who says he no longer thinks about playing quarterback. "Once I got the feel of it, my mind was set on playing tight end."

So, after wondering from year to year what position he might play, Wilson has fully committed himself to playing tight end.

"I finally found a home," he said, "and it's worked out well for me."

Wilson, who at 6-foot-1 and 230 pounds says he's in the best shape of his career, began feeling pretty comfortable toward the end of last season.

He finished with seven catches for 136 yards and a touchdown, while earning second-team All-Southwestern Athletic Conference honors. His 19.4 yards per catch was the highest on the team, and he played a key role in A&M's ability to run the football.

Wilson, named to the preseason All-SWAC first team this year, believes he's ready to play an even bigger role.

"I think Coach Jones has a lot of plans for the tight ends," said Wilson, one of four quality tight ends on A&M's roster. "I think you'll see us more involved in the offense. I can't wait.

"It's time for me to perform the way I know I can perform. It's time for me to take advantage of this opportunity."

Jones says Wilson will get plenty of opportunities.

"One thing you never have to worry about with Jake is his work ethic," Jones said. "His heart is in it and he's going to give you 100 percent all the time. That's one of the best moves I made when I came here. He solidified a position where we were susceptible and in our traditional offense if we don't have a good tight end we're not going to be successful.

"With Jake there, I think we'll be successful."

Bulldog notebook

08/21/03

Huntsville Times

Lack of experience among linemen a concern

Alabama A&M's defensive tackles are long on talent, but short on experience. That concerns defensive line coach Cedric Calhoun.

Only two of the Bulldogs' top six tackles have ever played in a game.

"Experience goes a long way," Calhoun said. "We've got some guys that are playing for the first time and they're going to have to step up and fill those roles. It's all about growth and opportunity."

Juniors Ali Hasan and Harold Penn are A&M's most experienced tackles. Hasan started last season, while Penn, the strongest player on the team with a bench press of 455 pounds, played 15 to 20 plays a game last season.

No one else has played beyond those two.

However, Fred Solomon and Kevin Lockhart will play, while Devon Humphrey and Anthony Hunter also could work their way into the playing rotation.

"I have a lot of confidence in Fred and Penn and their ability to help our team," Calhoun said. "Lockhart is going to have to adapt to the game because he's playing against bigger and stronger athletes. He has stepped in and done a nice job. I feel more confident about playing him, and Humphrey is coming around a little bit." Dogs distracted: The first day of classes left A&M short-handed at practice, coach Anthony Jones said.

Players were coming and going during the three-hour session, much to Jones' dismay.

"We've got a lot of kids in evening classes," he said. "When you have just a little more than half your team it's hard to have a good practice."

Jones said some players started classes on Wednesday, while others were still trying to register.

"It's very distracting as a coach," he said. "It takes its toll on you."

With so many players missing practice, Jones moved today's workout to tonight.

"That's the only way we're able to get all of our players at practice," he said.

Lacking focus: Jones didn't like the way the offense practiced Wednesday. That resulted in most of A&M's skill position players running extra sprints.

"I didn't like our tempo," Jones said. "It wasn't that we got whipped or anything. I just didn't like our tempo."

Jones said training camp has gotten the best of the offense.

"You try to guard against it, but it happens every training camp," Jones said. "Guys hit that imaginary wall ... whether it's mental or physical. Sometimes, it's both.

"Classes starting is an added stress. The students being back is an extra stress. They're excited about seeing old friends. There could be a variety of reasons. But our focus when we're here is on football and not on the million things these kids have going on in their lives."

Setback for Shaw

Setback for Shaw

08/22/03

Huntsville Times

Fernandez Shaw, expected to replace Robert Mathis at right defensive end, has relinquished his hold on the job after leaving camp earlier this week to attend his mother's wedding in Tacoma, Wash., defensive coordinator Brawnski Towns said Thursday.

Shaw, a 6-foot-2, 209-pound senior and career backup, had an outstanding camp and was slated to start in the season opener against Jacksonville State on Aug. 30 before leaving on Tuesday. Towns said the wedding is Saturday and Shaw is expected back Sunday or Monday.

"How much he's going to play will be decided next week when he gets back," Towns said.

Towns said redshirt sophomore Lieutenant Dukes will replace Shaw in the lineup. Dukes is currently hobbled by a groin injury and isn't expected back at practice until next week.

Redshirt sophomore Malasta Hill will start if Dukes isn't ready.

Baldwin questionable: Towns doesn't expect to have inside linebacker Johnny Baldwin back in time for the Gamecocks.

Baldwin sustained an injury to his right ankle in Saturday's scrimmage and hasn't practiced all week. He has been wearing a protective boot, but Towns said he doesn't believe it will enable him to play in the opener.

"He may be able to practice Tuesday or Wednesday, but that ankle is still going to be messed up," Towns said. "If he's not 90 percent, we won't play him next week."

If Baldwin is unable to play, Towns said true freshman Henry Roberson will start.

Stacked at TE: The tight end position, which hasn't been utilized at A&M in a number of years, could play a key role in the offense this season.

Jacob Wilson, one of four talented tight ends on A&M's roster, is excited about the possibilities.

"Our offense revolves around the tight end," said Wilson, a first-team preseason All-Southwestern Athletic Conference selection. "I think Coach (Anthony) Jones has a lot of plans for us. We're all very talented and hopefully we can play a big part in the offense."

While Wilson is the starter, redshirt freshman Deshalen Barber was A&M's best player last spring. Newcomers Curtis Blake and Charles Moody have bolstered the position.

"We've got four good tight ends," said Jones, who played the position for the Washington Redskins. "Jacob and Deshalen are two solid veterans, while Blake and Moody gives us two talented young guys. Jake, Deshalen and Blake are not the traditional tight end in terms of size, but they're better athletes than you would find there. Moody is your traditional tight end with his size and strength."

Defensive coaches want trio to match Mathis' statistics

A&M hopes three ends are better than one

Defensive coaches want trio to match Mathis' statistics

08/24/03

By REGGIE BENSON

Robert Mathis was a one-man gang for Alabama A&M's defense last season.

Blessed with an explosive first step, Mathis harassed quarterbacks like no other player in NCAA Division I-AA history, finishing with a record 20 sacks from his right defensive end position.

While A&M doesn't have anyone the caliber of Mathis, defensive ends coach Cedric Calhoun says the Bulldogs have three that could combine to produce similar numbers.

"Brian Evans, Fernandez Shaw and Lieutentant Dukes are capable of putting up the kind of numbers we got from Mathis," Calhoun said. "In fact, we expect them to put up those kinds of numbers."

Dukes not only expects them to put up those numbers, he says he believes the trio can exceed 20 sacks.

"I think we can surpass them," said Dukes, a redshirt sophomore from Birmingham. "We're going to come off the ball and get to the quarterback."

A&M finished with a SWAC-best 48 sacks a year ago. Defensive coordinator Brawnski Towns wants even more in 2003.

"We need 15 from Brian and 10 apiece from Shaw and Dukes," Towns said with a laugh. "If we can get 35 from those three guys, we'll be on our way."

Evans is expected to lead the way.

Evans, 6-foot-5 and 257 pounds, is the prototype defensive end. After some early season struggles last season after transferring from Southern Mississippi, Evans finished with seven sacks in eight games, finishing second behind Mathis.

"A hamstring injury slowed me down, but I got rolling halfway through the season," Evans said. "This is my last year and I want to go out with a bang. I'm going after Mathis' record."

Towns said he believes Evans will have a shot at it if he stays healthy.

"He had seven last year and he wasn't even a starter," Towns said. "He should double that this year and possibly have even more if we can keep him on the field."

Calhoun said he wished Evans had played him more last season.

"Evans did a hell of a job the second half of the season," he said. "He got more snaps toward the end of the season and he got better and better and better. If I had played him more, he would have had big numbers, too. He's blessed with talent and I'm looking for him to have a big year. I'm counting on him to get us over the top."

While Evans provides A&M with tremendous strength and power, Shaw and Dukes, although inexperienced and smallish, are blessed with speed like Mathis.

Shaw is 6-2 and 209, while Dukes is 6-3 and 209. They had one sack apiece last season.

"Shaw has done a hell of a job in camp coming off the edge," Calhoun said. "At first, he was lacking confidence because of his size, but we told him to use his speed to his advantage and he's done that.

"Dukes has improved a lot. He's gotten a lot stronger and has come around and is playing winning football for us."

"All we can do is play up to our ability," Evans said. "(Mathis) showed us how it's supposed to be played. I'm ready to have a great year. Shaw and Dukes got enough playing time last year to get a good feel for the game and they've shown in camp they can make plays.

"I think we're going to be all right. If we just do our best, we'll be OK."

Five keys to Alabama A&M's season

Five keys to Alabama A&M's season

08/24/03

Huntsville Times

1. Health: With a lack of quality depth, A&M needs to stay injury-free as much as possible. The Bulldogs are particularly thin along the defensive line and at linebacker.

2. Quarterback play: A&M played three different quarterbacks last season, but somehow managed to reach the SWAC championship game. If the Bulldogs are to seriously contend for the league title, improved quarterback play is a must.

3. Line maturity: The starters along the offensive line last year took virtually 95 percent of the snaps. Robert Louis and Jonathan Woodard are the only two starters with a lot of experience. Junior Demond Leslie has played some along with Stargell McKey. Three new starters will have to mesh with Louis and Woodard to give A&M a solid unit.

4. More balance: The Bulldogs relied strictly on the run last season. That won't likely get it done this year. An improved passing game - using the receivers, tight ends and the running backs - could go a long way in helping A&M post back-to-back winning seasons.

5. Win the close ones: Five of the Bulldogs' eight wins last year were by seven points or less. If A&M is to put together a similar season, it will have to find a way to win close games because there's no guarantee its offense will be more productive with an inexperienced offensive line and receiving corps.

Reggie Benson

Two heads better than one? Time will tell on 'The Hill'

Two heads better than one? Time will tell on 'The Hill'

Improved Robinson set to start, but Keith's better, too

08/24/03

By REGGIE BENSON

There was a time when the name of Alabama A&M's starting quarterback was highly recognized. Onree Jackson, Ananias Harris and Tracy Kendall quickly come to mind.

All three of them went on to have outstanding careers.

However, since Kendall, A&M's last four-year starter and unquestioned leader, finished his career in 1991, it seems the Bulldogs open every training camp in search of a QB.

Since Kendall played his final game, 18 different quarterbacks have taken snaps for the Bulldogs.

Remember these names: Chris Raymond, Jay Roberson, Darrius Craig, David Jones, Valeska Johnson, Roland Hayes, Cedric Jackson, Darnell Macklin, Tony Bellamy, Kelvin Robinson, Chris Gunn, Jacob Wilson and Jonathan Harris?

A&M opened training camp this season much like it had the last decade: looking for a starting quarterback.

The candidates included redshirt sophomore Tim Robinson and sophomore Johnny Keith, who between them have thrown for 1,254 yards, seven touchdowns and 18 interceptions in their brief careers.

The duo played well enough to help A&M win the Southwestern Athletic Conference East Division title and advance to the title game a year ago despite the paltry numbers.

"Usually, when you come into a program, you have a veteran who can demonstrate what to do ... a veteran who can provide leadership," A&M coach Anthony Jones said. "They had none of that. However, it happened that they were still a part of getting us to the SWAC championship game. They did their part.

"The problem was they had to grow up in front of everybody."

It is on the field where the problems are. Truth be told, A&M hasn't been able to attract a lot of quality quarterbacks in recent years.

Why?

The constant turnover at coach is one major reason. Different coaches have different philosophies.

This past spring, A&M offered scholarships to at least four quarterbacks who opted to go to other schools.

"Every coach we've had has run a different offense," defensive coordinator Brawnski Towns said. "Coach (Ron) Cooper ran the option for two years and then all of a sudden wanted to spread it out. It's hard to find good quarterbacks when you're changing offenses all the time.

"Our record has been pretty good, but the quarterback position has been unstable."

Jones knows all about that.

He played three last year before settling on Keith and Robinson. But will one of them emerge as the starter or will Jones go back to playing both?

"The best one is going to play," he said.

Robinson, considered the better runner, struggled throwing the football last season. He completed only 44 percent of his passes and threw only three touchdowns.

Guess what he did all summer?

"I tried to get my arm stronger and my feet quicker," said Robinson, a 6-foot-1, 210-pounder, who emerged as the starter out of spring practice.

"I threw every day, working on my accuracy and ball placement. I also worked on reading coverages and understanding defenses."

Jones says Robinson has improved.

"Tim is very conscientious in his effort and performance," Jones said. "He knew what his weaknesses were and he worked on them.

"He also assumed a leadership role. That's what you want from your quarterback."

Keith, who has more raw ability, threw for almost 900 yards last year despite a limited knowledge of the offense.

Like Robinson, Keith (5-11, 214) had some flaws to correct.

"I spent the summer learning how to read defenses," Keith said. "When I came in last year, I was trying to get a grasp of the offense and what my receivers were doing, so I didn't focus on the different looks I was getting from the defense."

Jones has watched Keith make progess.

"Johnny is starting to figure out a little more about the offense," Jones said. "Both (Johnny and Tim) have made significant strides. When you look at their play, it's a lot different than what it was last year."

While Jones prefers to play one quarterback, Keith says he's got two he can rely on if needed.

"Tim and I are both experienced," Keith said. "With two quarterbacks, if one isn't doing the job, the other one will be able to step up."

A&M still feels pain of loss to Jacksonville State

Bulldogs have bone to pick

A&M still feels pain of loss to Jacksonville State

08/25/03

By REGGIE BENSON

The memories remain fresh for the Alabama A&M football team.

The Bulldogs were on the verge of one of the biggest wins in school history this time last year in the season opener against Jacksonville State.

A&M, in coach Anthony Jones' debut, took advantage of three first-half turnovers and bolted to a 17-0 halftime lead over the Gamecocks. Thirty minutes was all that separated A&M from just its third victory in 22 attempts against JSU.

"We were in charge of the game," remembered outside linebacker Martel Holt, whose interception helped set up a touchdown run by Melvin Gideon late in the first half. "We just didn't finish it."

The Gamecocks pulled to within 17-6 at the end of the third quarter, tied the game with just over three minutes left and then won it on Steven Lee's 41-yard field goal with one second to play.

The Bulldogs, stunned by what transpired, walked off the field in disbelief.

"We walked off that field knowing we should have won the game," offensive tackle Jonathan Woodard said. "That's what made it so hard to accept."

A&M and JSU will meet again Saturday night at Louis Crews Stadium in the season opener for both teams. Kickoff is at 6:30.

"We've got to jump on them early," Woodard said. "We can't give them any opportunities to come back. We've got to bury them."

The Bulldogs were bothered by some controversial calls that went against them down the stretch.

The first one was a pass interference call against Henry Freeman on the Gamecocks' game-tying drive on a ball that A&M's coaching staff thought was clearly uncatchable. Later, there was a roughing the passer penalty. The Bulldogs were whistled for 16 penalties for 125 yards, while the Gamecocks had seven penalties for 70 yards.

"There were some big penalties that aided them in all three of their scores," Jones said. "We're not going to blame anybody, but when you put yourself in a position where calls can be made against you, you can only fault yourself. We had an opportunity to win the game, but we didn't do what was required of us to secure the game.

"We held on to the lead for a long time, but we didn't improve upon it and ended up losing the game. The bottom line is we didn't get it done."

Holt says A&M lost something during halftime that prevented it from winning.

"It was a lack of concentration, effort or something on our part that allowed them to come back and beat us," he said.

That won't happen this time, Holt said.

"Our plan is to dominate the whole season starting against Jacksonville State," he said. "They're coming to our house. We've got to play well."

Jacksonville State has few familiar players in its lineup

A&M defense needs detective

Jacksonville State has few familiar players in its lineup

08/26/03

By REGGIE BENSON

Brawnski Towns doesn't have a single clue.

There's nothing to give Alabama A&M's defensive coordinator insight into what Jacksonville State might do when the two teams meet Saturday night at Louis Crews Stadium in the season opener for both teams.

Sure, he can watch film from last year's game. He can even chart every formation and every tendency. Still, how much will that help? The Gamecocks have numerous new players that the Bulldogs haven't seen.

That, Towns says, is where the problem lies.

"I had a good feel last year about what they were going to do because we had seen the players that were starting on film and knew they were coming back," Towns said. "We knew what the quarterback could do. We knew how (Rondy) Rogers ran the ball, so I could plan the defense around what they had done.

"This year, with them having so many new people, we don't know what they're going to do."

Because of that, Towns, who has prided himself on being better prepared than the opposition, has been working overtime in an attempt to give the Bulldogs the best chance to slow the Gamecocks.

"The only person we know about is (running back Kory) Chapman, because he played against us last year," Towns said. "We haven't seen the quarterback play. We haven't seen the fullback run the ball or the wide receivers. We just don't know a whole lot.

"That has made it a little tougher for us this year compared to last year."

That makes the teams' roles somewhat reversed. JSU had a difficult time preparing for last year's game, but coach Jack Crowe says that's not the case this time around.

"We know what we're up against," Crowe said. "I know they've changed a little bit, just like we've changed. It hasn't been as difficult, but first games are always a little mysterious."

Mysterious?

That's a good way to describe season openers.

"It's always difficult to prepare for an opener because you just never know exactly what they're going to do," A&M coach Anthony Jones said.

That puts even more importance on adjustments during the game.

"The first quarter and even sometimes the second quarter, there's a feeling out process," he said. "Both teams will make adjustments."

Secondary shuffling to fill in for Turner

Secondary shuffling to fill in for Turner

08/26/03

Huntsville Times

Free safety Levernonte Turner, ejected from last year's Southwestern Athletic Conference championship game after an illegal hit late in the first half against Grambling, must sit out the first half of Saturday night's season opener, defensive coordinator Brawnski Towns said.

As a result, Towns said left cornerback Henry Freeman will start at free safety against Jacksonville State, and Henry Washington, a transfer from the University of Memphis, will start in Freeman's old spot.

Turner's loss is big, Towns said, but having Freeman, who has experience at free safety, could somewhat soften the blow.

"Levernonte has become a complete free safety," Towns said. "He made some big hits for us last year and he really understands what we're doing back there in terms of making the checks to the various coverages we'll be in. He's in great command of that right now.

"Starting the game without him and putting it on a cornerback to make those checks, even though Henry has played free safety before, is not the same as having Levernonte out there."

Towns said if backup free safety Derrick Franklin comes along this week, he could also see some playing time.

Quarterback shuffle? While A&M coach Anthony Jones has vowed to go with just one quarterback, JSU coach Jack Crowe said the Gamecocks will play two quarterbacks.

Sophomore Maurice Mullins, Crowe said, is the Gamecocks' starting quarterback, but backup Anthony Mayo will also see action Saturday against the Bulldogs. Mayo came off the bench last year to lead the Gamecocks to their come-from-behind 20-17 victory.

"Anthony has a major role in this game," Crowe said Monday during his weekly press conference. "How much he plays and when, I don't know. Maurice is clearly our starting quarterback, and I expect him to be the starting quarterback all year as long as he stays well.

"Anthony gives us a sixth man. He brings a little different style when he comes in there that at a certain time in the game can be a big shot in the arm. It gives me an enormous amount of comfort and security to know he's standing there."

Mayo relieved an ineffective Reggie Stancil in last year's game and completed 6-of-14 passes for 101 yards as the Gamecocks overcame a 17-0 halftime deficit to come away with the three-point victory.

Furthermore: Jones said Chris Carbo will handle kickoffs, while Rashad Cylar will punt and handle extra points and field goals. ... If backup tight end Deshalen Barber, sidelined with a pulled hamstring, isn't available for Saturday's game, Jones said true freshman Charles Moody will likely get a chance to play.

Reggie Benson

Bulldogs banged upacross defensive front

Bulldogs banged upacross defensive front

08/27/03

Huntsville Times

Defensive ends Brian Evans and Lieutenant Dukes returned to practice on Tuesday, along with tight end Deshalen Barber, but five other players sat out or missed some practice time.

Evans (shoulder) and Dukes (groin) are expected to be in the starting lineup Saturday night against Jacksonville State, while Barber (hamstring) will likely see some playing time as the backup tight end.

Defensive tackle Harold Penn (elbow), ends Avery Moland (knee) and Adrian Branch (neck) and offensive tackle William Thomas (ankle) missed practice Tuesday. Penn, Moland and Branch, if healthy, could see action along A&M's thin defensive live.

"We're banged up," Alabama A&M coach Anthony Jones said. "Our trainers are going to have to do a good job of piecing us back together and getting us ready for a tough football game."

Happy with progress: Jones said after Tuesday's two-hour practice his team is right on schedule.

"We're doing a lot of good things," he said. "It's just a few little things that we're doing mistake-wise that I want to firm up. I think we're progressing well. Our guys are emotionally ready to play. Now, we've got to make sure we're physically ready to play."

JSU's new look: Jacksonville State has scrapped its eight-man front defensive scheme in favor of a new 3-4 alignment. Defensive coordinator Greg Stewart spent some time this summer with former Alabama and Auburn defensive coordinator Bill Oliver to learn the little intricacies of the scheme.

"I think it's been an experiment that has worked out particularly well," Jax State coach Jack Crowe said. "We're not very big and we have to be fast with great technique. All that looks to be in place."

The Gamecocks struggled on defense in 2002, allowing almost 400 yards and more than 27 points per game.

"We put more guys standing up that move around a little better," Stewart said. "We're not very big and that concerns me, but we've got good speed."

Furthermore: Inside linebacker Johnny Baldwin, who has been sidelined with an ankle injury, ran some on Tuesday. No decision has been made about his status for Saturday. ... Defensive end Fernandez Shaw, who missed most of last week while attending his mother's wedding back home in Tacoma, Wa., was back at practice Tuesday. Shaw relinquished his starting job when he left and no decision has been made on his playing status against the Gamecocks.

Reggie Benson

Starting QB notfacing quick hook

08/28/03

Huntsville Times

Starting QB notfacing quick hook

Alabama A&M coach Anthony Jones said if quarterback Tim Robinson plays well Saturday against Jacksonville State, backup quarterback Johnny Keith probably won't get in the game.

Keith started eight games last season as a true freshman, but has since lost the job to Robinson.

"If the team is responding to what Tim is doing, I probably won't play Johnny," Jones said. "He is prepared to play, but Tim won the job and I'm going to give him an opportunity. I don't want him looking over his shoulder if he makes a bad play.

"He has proved he deserves an opportunity to play. If his mind is into it and he's focused, I'm confident in what he can do. Johnny has earned the backup job."

Freshman to receive: Jones said as many as 10 newcomers could see action against the Gamecocks.

Freshman wide receiver Kevin Francis is one of them. Francis has come along and will be in the rotation against Jacksonville State.

"He's a lot like Nick (Wells), but bigger," said A&M receivers coach David Arnsparger, comparing Francis to A&M's top returning receiver. "He's very smart, runs good routes, has good moves, catches the ball well, has a great attitude and works hard."

The other newcomers who will likely see playing time include center Chris Franklin, right guard Jamaal Henry, tight end Deshalen Barber, receiver Emmanuel Edwards, defensive tackle Kevin Lockhart, defensive back Henry Washington, inside linebacker Henry Roberson and defensive end Avery Moland.

Gamecocks optimistic: Jacksonville State coach Jack Crowe says the Gamecocks have enough players to have a good year. Whether they have one will be left up to them.

"We're really a good team," Crowe said. "It's not a question if we're any good or not. We're finding out how ready we are right now to meet the expectations of the season. How quickly are they going to grow into a football team that can bring their best game every time they come play.

"There's so much newness on offense that we just don't know. We've got some hard knocks coming along the way. It won't be an easy season."

Reggie Benson

A&M honoring magnificent 7

A&M honoring magnificent 7

08/28/03

From staff reports
Huntsville Times

Seven distinguished athletes will be inducted into the Alabama A&M University Athletic Hall of Fame on Friday night in the Ernest L. Knight Reception Center. The school's 12th annual induction ceremony will be held at 7.

The list of inductees include the late Charles A. Bates, Timothy Lamont "Tee" Brown, John L. Finch, Harrison E. Humes, the late Harvey E. Jordan, Carrol Damon Moore and Henry O. Reid III.

After leaving A&M, Bates, a 1954 graduate, played for the Chicago Cardinals in 1956, the Chicago Bears in 1959 and the New York Titans in 1960. He also served as head coach at Southern University from 1972-77.

Brown lettered in football from 1980-83 and won numerous awards during his career. He was the Most Valuable Player in the 42nd annual Magic City Classic is 1983 and went on to earn All-Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference honors that year as well. Brown was also recognized by the Athletics Booster Club and the Varsity 100 during his career.

Finch lettered in football and baseball at A&M in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Humes played center for then-A&M basketball coach Frank "Mooney" Lewis from 1959-63. He was a two-time All-SIAC selection in 1961 and 1962.

Jordan played football for legendary coaches George Hobson and Lewis Crews at A&M. He was one of the first captains selected by Crews.

Moore transferred to A&M from Arkansas AM&N and went on to serve as captain of the football team in 1962 and 1963, while Reid was a basketball and baseball standout for the Bulldogs from 1962-65. During this stay at A&M, he was the team's leading rebounder and posted a 7-0 record in 1965 as a member of the baseball team.

That year, Reid struck out 19 Morehouse batters. He went on to become the leading rebounder for the Quantico Marines in 1967-68 and for the Monsanto Fibers in 1969-70.

Robinson won't surrender QB job unless he's injured

A&M sticks with starter

Robinson won't surrender QB job unless he's injured

09/01/03

By REGGIE BENSON

Alabama A&M football coach Anthony Jones said quarterback Tim Robinson won't likely lose his job unless a leg injury sidelines him.

Robinson, who threw a pair of interceptions in Saturday night's 9-3 loss to Jacksonville State, was injured in the second quarter, but continued to play. Jones had planned to replace him at the start of the second half in favor of Johnny Keith, but Robinson begged for another series. Jones obliged and Robinson led the Bulldogs on a nine-play, 59-yard drive down to the Gamecocks 9 line before fullback Jonathan Rowland fumbled.

Robinson drove A&M within field goal range on the Bulldogs' next possession, but Rashad Cylar missed from 42 yards out to prevent A&M from tying the game. Robinson played one more series before giving way to Keith in the fourth quarter. He completed 11-of-26 passes for 142 yards and two interceptions.

Keith was 5-of-10 for 63 yards and had a chance to lead A&M to victory, but fumbled the snap from center on a fourth-and-goal play from the 1 with just under six minutes left that could have possibly given the Bulldogs the lead with an extra point.

Jones said on film it appeared Keith pulled out from center too soon, while center Chris Franklin may have short-snapped the ball.

"Both of them are banged up," Jones said. "If Tim can't go, of course, we'll go to Johnny. We'll see where they are this week and see where they stand."

Jones said Robinson graded out higher than Keith and both made some technical mistakes.

"Tim made the big mistakes with the two interceptions and the fumble and Johnny made one with the quarterback/center exchange," Jones said. "Those are little things we've got to get corrected this week."

Jones was encouraged by Robinson's toughness.

"He was limited in what he could do based on his injury, but he showed me a lot of heart and determination," he said. "When I was going to pull him at the start of the second half, he begged for one more series. I gave it to him and he drove us the length of the field. We wound up fumbling the ball, but he showed me a lot of guts and grit during that drive. "I was proud to see that. I just wish we could have capped it off with a touchdown or a field goal."

The Bulldogs reached the Jacksonville State 5, 8, 25 and 1, but came away with just three points.

"We moved the ball well," Jones said. "We got in the red area and self-destructed. We've got to get better at finishing drives."

They better get better in a hurry.

Tennessee State comes to town Saturday night and the Tigers - if Saturday night's 37-20 bashing of South Carolina State is any indication - appear much-improved over last year's 2-10 finish.

Tennessee State quarterback Riley Walker threw for 365 yards and a touchdown and running back Charles Anthony rushed for 117 yards and two touchdowns and also had three catches for 77 yards and a touchdown as the Tigers rolled up 478 yards in total offense.

"We let one slip away Saturday night and if we don't get it out of our system, Tennessee State will come in here and hand it to us," Jones said. "They've got a good football team. We have to understand that and get ourselves prepare to play another good football team."

Defense draws praise from coordinator

Defense draws praise from coordinator

09/01/03

Huntsville Times

Alabama A&M's 9-3 loss to Jacksonville State offset a tremendous effort by the Bulldogs' defense.

Defensive coordinator Brawnski Towns' unit, with seven new starters, came up with two goal line stands and made plays throughout the game. After giving up a touchdown late in the first quarter, the Bulldogs held the Gamecocks to one field goal over the final 56-plus minutes.

"The kids played extremely hard and did everything we asked them to do," Towns said. "I thought we had a letdown after the offense didn't score (with just under six minutes left in the game) and let them drive the length of the field, but we sucked it up and made some big plays and didn't let them get in the end zone."

The Gamecocks finished with 341 yards, including 193 rushing, but 74 of those came on two plays.

The Bulldogs played most of the game without free safety/cornerback Henry Freeman. Freeman sustained an ankle injury in the first quarter and did not return. Derrick Franklin filled in at free safety and Levernonte Turner, who had to sit out the first half due to a suspension in last year's Southwestern Athletic Conference championship game, started the second half.

Towns also praised the play of cornerbacks Henry Washington, Reggie Johnson and Jamerson Baker, linebackers Lionel Macklin and Henry Roberson, and defensive tackle Ali Hasan.

Injury report: Other than a few bumps and bruises, A&M came out of Saturday's game fairly healthy.

In addition to Freeman, quarterback Tim Robinson sustained a leg injury, but continued to play. Those players will be evaluated over the next couple of days.

Defensive tackle Harold Penn also has an ankle injury.

The Bulldogs could get inside linebacker Johnny Baldwin back this week. Baldwin missed the Jacksonville State game with an ankle injury.

Sharing the blame: In the aftermath of Saturday night's loss, A&M coach Anthony Jones says the last thing the Bulldogs can do is start blaming each other. He warned his team of that in the locker room after the game.

"When you lose a close game that people say you should have won, you start having people point figures," he said. "Everybody is hurting, but nobody wants to take the blame. We start saying if so and so had done this, we would have done this. That's the wrong thing to do. The best thing to do is criticize yourself. If I had done this, this would have happened.

"When you lose a game like this it can pull you closer together or pull you apart. If you're trying to be successful, you better let it pull you together. You better learn from it and get better."

Reggie Benson

A&M must find ways to slow TSU's aerial attack

Bulldogs plan to duplicate pressure

A&M must find ways to slow TSU's aerial attack

09/02/03

By REGGIE BENSON

Brian Evans' eyes began to light up.

Alabama A&M's left defensive end began to get excited while watching film of Tennessee State.

"We're going to have to get our pass-rushing moves together this week," Evans said.

Unlike last week when A&M was geared up to stop Jacksonville State's running game, the Bulldogs will have to find a way to slow down the Tigers' passing attack Saturday.

"Our whole mind-set will be stopping the pass first and stopping the run last," defensive coordinator Brawnski Towns said. "It was just the opposite last week."

One way to do that is for Evans and the rest of the defense to get pressure on Tennessee State quarterback Riley Walker.

The Bulldogs had plenty of success last season, coming away with seven sacks en route to a 25-21 victory. A&M held TSU to just 153 yards in total offense.

"It was probably our best effort of the season," Towns said. "We'll have to have another great effort this year if we're going to have a chance to beat them."

After watching the Tigers roll up almost 500 yards in total offense in a 37-20 defeat of South Carolina State, A&M coach Anthony Jones said he knows the Bulldogs will be severely tested when TSU comes to Louis Crews Stadium Saturday night. Kickoff is at 6:30. A&M is 0-1 after a 9-3 loss to Jacksonville State. "They're probably as explosive a team as we'll see all season," Jones said. "They have a running back that is capable of taking it the distance. They have a couple of receivers that can go the distance and they have a quarterback that can find them. They've got a big, strong offensive line that not only blocks well, but runs well.

"It's going to be a big challenge for our defense."

It's a challenge, free safety Levernonte Turner says, that A&M looks forward to.

"We'll be ready for whatever they do," said Turner, who will be back in the starting lineup against TSU after missing the first half against Jacksonville State while serving a suspension for an illegal hit against Grambling in last year's Southwestern Athletic Conference championship game. "If they throw it or run it, we'll have a game plan to stop both of them."

The Bulldogs did exactly that a year ago.

TSU managed just 23 yards rushing and 131 through the air. The Tigers were 0-of-13 on third down conversions.

Towns believes A&M can have similar success.

"We had some schemes in that allowed us to get pressure on the quarterback," Towns said. "Unless they do some different things from a blocking standpoint, we should be able to get there."

TSU has no QB doubts against A&M

TSU has no QB doubts against A&M

09/03/03

NASHVILLE - James Reese managed a smile. After the kind of season Reese and his Tennessee State Tigers suffered through last season, it was easy to see why he was smiling.

TSU, which finished a disappointing 2-10 a year ago, opened the season Saturday by dominating South Carolina State. The Tigers whipped the Bulldogs 37-20, rolling up almost 500 yards in total offense in the process.

"It feels good to get off to a good start," Reese said. "We still have some things to work on to improve."

The Tigers, Reese said, have improved. Particularly, at quarterback.

TSU held auditions for the starting job last year. Four different players started for the Tigers during the season. As a result, TSU struggled to find any consistency and endured one of its worst seasons ever.

Fast forward to this season.

Riley Walker won the job during the spring and put on a clinic against South Carolina State, throwing for 365 yards and a touchdown on 17-of-33 attempts. He will try to put together a similar effort Saturday night when TSU visits Alabama A&M at Louis Crews Stadium. Kickoff is at 6:30.

"Riley played real well," Reese said. "He showed some toughness, too. He took a big hit in the first quarter and came back and threw the ball extremely well. He was consistent in the spring and he had a good fall camp. I told him it was his job. He doesn't have to look over his shoulder."

He does have to look over A&M's defense.

The Bulldogs dominated last year's game and took a hard-fought 25-21 victory. A&M came away with seven sacks, including four by inside linebacker Jamaal Ware.

Reese hasn't forgotten.

"It seems like they were all over the place," Reese said, laughing. "They had two big studs on defense last year in Robert Mathis and Jamaal Ware. They're not there anymore, but it appears they've replaced them with comparable guys."

Reese doesn't expect A&M defensive coordinator Brawnski Towns to change his approach from 2002.

"If I was them, I would look at the game plan and run the same thing," Reese said.

Reese hopes his team won't do what it did in last year's meeting. The Tigers managed just 153 yards en route to one of their 10 losses. If Saturday's effort against South Carolina State is any indication, TSU won't do that again.

"Our receivers came through and made some clutch catches in key situations," Reese said. "If we can put some big plays together, it would certainly help us."

Return of tacklecomes at good time

Return of tacklecomes at good time
09/03/03

Huntsville Times

Alabama A&M defensive coordinator Brawnski Towns got some good news Tuesday when tackle Jerald Harris was cleared to practice.

Harris, who had been held out of practice pending results from some tests concerning his heart, practiced in shorts on Tuesday.

He will likely practice in shorts and shoulder pads today and in full gear on Thursday.

"Getting Jerald back is big for us," Towns said. "We're going to bring him along slowly and see if we can get four or five plays out of him this week. If not, we'll definitely get him ready for next week."

A 5-foot-11, 263-pound junior from Mobile, Harris' return is big because the Bulldogs will be without defensive tackle Harold Penn, who suffered an ankle injury against Jacksonville State.

Harris had 27 tackles last season, including 11 for 69 yards in losses and 4.5 sacks.

Bonds will get more touches: Running back Jeremiah Bonds, who averaged more than seven yards every time he touched the ball

in Saturday night's loss to Jacksonville State, will likely get it a few more times this week, running backs coach Stanley Conner said.

Bonds rushed for 68 yards on 11 carries and caught a pass for 18 yards.

He finished with 86 yards on 12 attempts, averaging 7.2 yards per attempt. Bonds had 57 yards on seven carries in the first half, an 8.1 average, but carried the ball only four times in the second half.

"Bonds is very explosive and the name of the game is to get the ball in your playmakers' hands," Conner said.

"He had two big plays and almost took the screen to the house. He's a big-play guy and we're going to do some things to get him the ball."

Bonds welcomes that.

"It always feels good to get into a rhythm," he said. "The more carries you get, the better your rhythm is.

"Every time I touch the ball, I try to do something positive with it. Hopefully, I can get it a few times and show them what I can do and help the team score some points."

Not at practice: Three starters along A&M's offensive line missed practice on Tuesday.

Left guard Demond Leslie, right guard Jamaal Henry and right tackle Jonathan Woodard were held out as the Bulldogs began preparations for Tennessee State.

Jones wouldn't say why Leslie didn't practice, but Henry is nursing a shoulder injury, while Woodard was in class.

Furthermore: Inside linebackers Johnny Baldwin (ankle) and Avery Moland (knee) returned to practice Monday and based upon how they work this week, could find themselves in the playing rotation against Tennessee State. ... Freshman quarterback Robert Spence, who was taken off the field more than a week ago while awaiting questions about his eligibility, has been declared eligible.

Reggie Benson

Dogs want some consistency

Dogs want some consistency

09/04/03

By REGGIE BENSON

In the natural scheme of things, Alabama A&M's offense was supposed to be better this season. After all, wasn't this the second straight year the Bulldogs were running coach Anthony Jones' system?

The second year is always supposed to be better than the first one, right?

Well, statistically, the offense appears to better. But the Bulldogs still can't find the end zone.

A&M rolled up more than 300 yards in total offense, but only managed a 22-yard field goal from Rashad Cylar in last Saturday night's 9-3 loss to Jacksonville State despite driving inside the Gamecocks; 10-yard line three times.

"When we start drives, we've got to finish them off," Jones said.

That's easier said than done.

A&M tried to do that against Jax State, but the Gamecocks defense had other plans and as a result, the Bulldogs came up with a loss.

"I think it's more mental than anything," wide receiver Nick Wells said. "We've got to be mentally strong."

"When you get in the heat of battle and you're tired and you've got some guy who's as big and strong as you are and trying to compete, too, you tend to forget a few things," Jones said. "That's where your discipline comes in."

A&M showed plenty of discipline.

The Bulldogs were called for just three penalties for 20 yards. That's a good thing. The bad thing is A&M's inability to score.

"We've got to control the football and score points when we get an opportunity," Jones said. "Going from the 20 to the 20 doesn't do anything but help your stats. It doesn't help you win. We've got to make sure we're assignment sound and consistent."

Especially with the way Tennessee State's offense is playing.

The Tigers rolled up almost 500 yards in total offense in a 37-20 blowout of South Carolina State. If A&M's offense is inconsistent, it could be in for a long night.

"We've got to keep our defense off the field," Jones said. "The fewer cracks they have at them, the more successful our defense will be. They're a big-play offense. The more opportunities they have, the more big plays they're going to make. It's a numbers game. If we can keep those numbers down, they'll have fewer shots at making big plays."

Job is Robinson's: Backup quarterback Johnny Keith won't play Saturday against Tennessee State unless starter Tim Robinson makes some mistakes, Jones said.

Robinson threw a pair of interceptions in last week's loss to the Gamecocks before being lifted early in the fourth quarter. Keith drove the Bulldogs to a first-and-goal at the 2, but fumbled the snap from center on fourth-and-goal from the 1.

"I'm going to go with Tim based on how he plays," Jones said. "I'm going to treat him just like I treat anybody else out there. If I have a running back and he's fumbling the ball, I'm going to put someone else in. If I have an offensive lineman and he's not blocking, I'm going to put somebody else in. If I have a receiver dropping balls, I'm going to put somebody else in. If I have a quarterback throwing interceptions and is ineffective, I'm going to put somebody else in."

Bulldogs start fast, hold on for 31-24 victory over Tigers

A&M puts end to late TSU rally

Bulldogs start fast, hold on for 31-24 victory over Tigers

09/07/03

By REGGIE BENSON

Alabama A&M's comfortable lead had all but evaporated. The Bulldogs, who led 31-2 less than four minutes into the third quarter, had watched Tennessee State mount an improbable comeback. The Tigers, who scored a pair of lightning-quick touchdowns late in the third quarter to get within striking distance, were within seven points after getting the ball back with 1:52 remaining in the game.

A&M's defense, which had surrended 22 unanswered points, rose to the occasion.

From Our Advertiser

More specifically, outside linebacker Wesley Bynam rose to the occasion.

A fifth-year senior, Bynam had never intercepted a pass.

Until Saturday night.

Bynam picked off Riley Walker's pass - one of three the Bulldogs had on the night - with 58 seconds left as A&M hung on to claim a 31-24 win in front of 18,085 at Louis Crews Stadium.

"They called for me to go in and I did my job," said Bynam, while being congratulated by his teammates. "When it came down to crunch time, I put my hands together. You can never stop praying."

Bynam's interception answered A&M coach Anthony Jones' prayers.

"Wesley kept his composure," Jones said. "He assured us everything was going to be OK and he made the big play late in the game to secure the win."

A&M evened its record at 1-1. It was A&M's second straight win over TSU, the first time that has happened since 1986-87. The loss also dropped the Tigers to 1-1.

"It wasn't anything they did defensively," TSU coach James Reese said. "We shot ourselves in the foot. They didn't stop the run all night. The running game was fine. We got to the point we had to throw the football."

That didn't work very well for TSU.

Walker, who threw for 365 yards in a win over South Carolina State last week, was 11-of-36 for 146 yards and two touchdowns. He was sacked seven times.

Meanwhile, A&M's offense got in a rhythm in the first half, scoring on four of its first eight possessions.

"We came out and jumped on them real quick," quarterback Tim Robinson said. "We took it to them. We were prepared and took advantage of our opportunities."

A&M wasted little time in taking control. On their opening possession of the game, the Bulldogs went 70 yards in 11 plays to take a lead they would never relinquish.

Robinson found Nick Wells alone in the end zone for a 24-yard touchdown pass and after Jonathan Rowland scored on the two-point conversion, A&M led 8-0 less than five minutes into the game.

It was 8-2 after Lionel Macklin's snap sailed over the head of punter Rashad Cylar midway through the first quarter.

A&M extended its lead early in the second quarter after TSU punter Kevin Roberson came up short on a fourth-down play. Roberson dropped the snap, picked it up and tried to run for the first down, but came up one yard short, giving the ball to the Bulldogs at the Tigers 29.

Tailback Jeremiah Bonds scored on a 1-yard run, but the touchdown was set up on a tremendous catch by Wells. Running a corner route, Wells, who appeared to be going out of bounds, came up with the ball on a spectacular diving catch on a third-and-six play that kept the drive alive. Bonds scored one play later and Cylar's extra point made it 15-2 with 10:56 left in the half.

A&M scored nine points in the final 4:31 to break the game open.

Lanier Bush capped a nine-play, 86-yard drive with a 32-yard scamper.

Bush appeared to be stopped near the 25-yard line, before breaking out of the pack for the touchdown with 57 seconds left before halftime.

After taking over on downs at the A&M 45, Bonds ripped off a 50-yard gain to the TSU 5. One play later, Cylar kicked a 22-yard field goal to give A&M a commanding 24-2 lead at intermission.

"I got the ball and got into a good rhythm," said Bonds, who finished with a career-high 183 yards on 20 carries and two touchdowns.

"I can't say enough about the offensive line. They stepped up."

Bonds capped A&M's first possession of the second half with a dazzling 45-yard run to end a five-play 64-yard drive. Cylar's extra point made it 31-2.

Bulldogs have lost six straight games to SWAC rival

Grambling has A&M's attention

Bulldogs have lost six straight games to SWAC rival

09/08/03

By REGGIE BENSON

Anthony Jones tried to contain his enthusiasm.

He couldn't.

With Jones set to take his Alabama A&M football team to Shreveport, La., to take on three-time defending Southwestern Athletic Conference champion Grambling this weekend, Doug Williams' former teammate was raring to go.

"Anytime anybody beats you a couple of times, there's a little added flavor to it," Jones said.

Grambling hasn't just beaten A&M a couple of times. The Tigers have beaten the Bulldogs six straight times. A&M's last win in the series came in 1998.

"Both games last year were dog fights," Jones recalled.

The Tigers built a 16-0 halftime lead during the regular season contest before taking a 23-13 victory. Three months later in the SWAC championship game, Grambling used a 21-point fourth quarter to win 31-19 and secure its third straight league title.

"One game doesn't make your season, but we'd like to beat Grambling," Jones said. "We just have to do a few things different to change the outcome."

A&M enters the game 1-1 after hanging on to beat Tennessee State over the weekend. Grambling is 1-1 and 1-0 in the SWAC after coming from behind to beat Alcorn State. Kickoff is at 4 p.m.

The Bulldogs did a few things different Saturday against Tennessee State and they worked.

Running back Jeremiah Bonds, A&M's most explosive player, was spectacular, finishing with 183 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 20 carries. Bonds' backup Lanier Bush wasn't too shabby. He finished with 72 yards on six carries, a whopping 12-yard average. Quarterback Tim Robinson was efficient, throwing for 133 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

"We knew Bonds was capable of doing what he did," Jones said. "I told him before the game to get himself ready. He told me he was ready and it showed. Bush had a heck of a day, too.

"I thought Tim played well. He was a little spotty, but for the most part, I thought he played a good game. He kept the offense composed, had a good handle on what was going on out there."

Combined, Bond and Bush finished with 255 yards rushing on 26 carries and scored three touchdowns.

"The running game really came through," said Bonds, who posted career highs in yards and carries.

It will take another solid effort to beat Grambling.

"We'll go down there and try to put them in a situation where they have to make some plays, too," he said, "and see what happens."

A&M has chance to build prestige

A&M has chance to build prestige

09/09/03

Huntsville Times

Grambling is regarded as the best black college football program in the country. Alabama A&M, coach Anthony Jones says, would like that moniker as well.

"Our goal has always been to be the best," he said. "I want to build this program into one of the best in black college football and Division I-AA. In order to get that kind of recognition, you've got to beat people like Grambling."

A&M has had a difficult time.

The Bulldogs are 2-9 all-time against the Tigers, having dropped the last six meetings.

"I only know of two," Jones said of last season's two games. "Those are all different football teams. We've got to keep this a football game and not a revenge game. We've got to overcome the psychological edge that they have on us."

Grambling QB hot: Grambling quarterback Bruce Eugene was named the Southwestern Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Week, following his performance against Alcorn State over the weekend, league officials announced Monday.

Eugene, a 6-foot-1, 245-pound junior, completed 22-of-36 passes for 313 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Tigers past the Braves. He also rushed for 43 yards and two touchdowns, finishing with 356 yards in total offense and five touchdowns.

Grambling trailed 28-23 with approximately six minutes left, before scoring 17 unanswered points to beat Alcorn State 40-28.

A&M honors: Running back Jeremiah Bonds was named A&M's offensive Most Valuable Player, while ends Fernandez Shaw and Lieutenant Dukes were named co-defensive Most Valuable Players following their performances against Tennessee State over the weekend.

Bonds finished with a career-high 183 yards rushing on 20 carries and scored two touchdowns. Ninety-five of Bonds' yards came on two carries, including a 45-yard jaunt early in the third quarter that proved to be the game-winning touchdown.

Shaw, a senior from Tacoma, Wash., had two sacks, two tackles for loss, four hurries and also caught a fumble, while Dukes finished with a sack, an interception, two tackles for loss and a hurry.

Bonds and place-kicker/punter Rashad Cylar were included in the "notable performances" category in this week's SWAC report.

Reggie Benson

A&M quarterback shuffle to continue

09/29/03

By REGGIE BENSON

After playing three quarterbacks last season, Alabama A&M coach Anthony Jones had hoped to play just one in 2003.

From Our Advertiser

Mortgage Calculator
Online Application
Contact Us
1-800-366-5994
"Every Mortgage is
a Custom Mortgage."

So much for wishful thinking.

Tim Robinson has started the first five games but has finished just one of them. Johnny Keith, Robinson's backup, has played in four games and third-stringer Rod Stevens has played in the last two. Jones played all three in the last two games, lopsided victories over Mississippi Valley State and Prairie View.

"I've come to the conclusion that I can't rely on one of them to do it all," Jones said Sunday after the long bus ride back from Texas.

"I'm going to have to go with a two- or three headed monster at quarterback and find out who is the hot guy or go by the flow of the game that suits the quarterback. (I've got to) try to make the decisions I made last year in terms of who's going to get the reps that game."

Robinson, who entered Saturday's game against Prairie View ninth in the Southwestern Athletic Conference in passing, has completed just 46-of-107 passes for 503 yards, two touchdowns and seven interceptions. He was just 5-of-15 for 37 yards against a Prairie View defense that was next-to-last in the SWAC in pass defense.

Keith was eighth in the league in passing efficiency going into the Prairie View game, but should move up the list after going 8-of-14 for 142 yards. He did throw in his first interception of the season.

Stevens, in limited playing time, is 2-for-2 for 17 yards.

After Chris Gunn faltered during the early portion of last season, Jones turned to Keith and Robinson a year ago. Combined, they helped A&M to an 8-4 record and a berth in the SWAC championship game.

Keith, last year's starter, is this year's backup. .

"I think Johnny does a better job of relieving," Jones said. "Last year was just the opposite.

"What I've got to do is get both of them ready to play and when I feel that it's right, I've got to make the change."

Stevens is the wild card, Jones said.

"Rod is such an athlete," he said. "He makes things happen because of his sheer athleticism. He lacks the command of the offense, but I'm going to try to bring him along until he gets comfortable with different packages."

"I'm just trying to find the answers. All three of them are young quarterbacks. Sometimes, growing pains take a long time

Back