BSUing HBCU Band Culture

I have mixed feelings about this. I get young black people wanting to feel apart of and have an authentic black experience no matter what space their in but often times it comes with self hate and disrespect of space that was built specifically for us because of their proximity to whiteness. Like if you're gonna take this shit make sure you respect not only where it comes from but also gatekeep it because them white girls are gonna want to do it next.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I have no problem with them creating their own dance group, but some rule have to be put in place. First off pay homage to the HBCUs that gave you the idea to create a group in the first place. We all know that HBCU band culture is popular and a lot of these PWI schools, like LSU, are trying their best to mimic it. Second, make sure this Southern California group remains a dance group for black people. We don't need the colonizers taking the style away from us. Lastly, demand some respect from the Southern California band. Based on the video, it doesn't seem like those girls are sitting anywhere near the band. If the band won't allow you to perform with them then that should tell you something.

They're free to do what they want IMO. I think some sisters did this in Georgia a while back.

But, Roland got to put his two cents in for some reason. Seems that he gets offended when HBCU folks criticize PWI black folks. So, he goes in on HBCUs and, in particular, TSU and PV. I'm like, what does this have to do with some sisters dancing at USC?

View: https://youtu.be/qBc7O9xlxTs

They're free to do what they want IMO. I think some sisters did this in Georgia a while back.

But, Roland got to put his two cents in for some reason. Seems that he gets offended when HBCU folks criticize PWI black folks. So, he goes in on HBCUs and, in particular, TSU and PV. I'm like, what does this have to do with some sisters dancing at USC?

View: https://youtu.be/qBc7O9xlxTs

Fuck Roland Martin

Back