Breaking News: Human Jukebox

I think SU is better between 5 to 7K. When they were over 10K they had serious administrative and logistic issues b/c they didn't have the infrastructure in place to handle that many students ... SU can't afford to hire enough people with the way higher education is funded in Louisiana. I mean SU is still the largest HBCU in Louisiana so that counts for something.

Doc was the man and he had way less funds than what's available now. The Human Jukebox is the best marketing tool SU has and that milking it and rightfully so. I'm no hater, the Human Jukbox is the shiznit .... but so is our band (we also have many accomplishments and deals) ... there's enough room at the top the way I see it.

SU first exceeded 9,000 student attendance during my senior year back in the late seventies. I was student body president at the time, and we were the largest HBCU in the nation. SU was a well-run institution administratively and logistically and was looked to as a leader among SWAC and other HBCUs.. To say otherwise is simply not accurate.

SU first exceeded 9,000 student attendance during my senior year back in the late seventies. I was student body president at the time, and we were the largest HBCU in the nation. SU was a well-run institution administratively and logistically and was looked to as a leader among SWAC and other HBCUs.. To say otherwise is simply not accurate.

I was talking about when SU was over 10,000 in the last 20 years ..... I heard horror stories with housing, overcrowded classrooms, parking issues, long registration lines, etc.

The number now is a good number until they expand the campus and support system

Last edited:

I was talking about when SU was over 10,000 in the last 20 years ..... I heard horror stories with housing, overcrowded classrooms, parking issues, long registration lines, etc.

The number now is a good number until they expand the campus and support system

Another HBCU is experiencing that now and its enrollment is on the decline. Actually, SU has expanded its campus to accommodate 10 to 12k students. The university has newer and more dorms than what was there when I attended in the 80's. A great deal of SU's old dorms (Magnolia Triangle)

Southern's enrollment decline was triggered by a couple of factors" a lack of enrollment management starting with the selection of a certain chancellor together with the raising of the admission standards. By the way, admission standards will increase again next fall and enrollment will probably decline again or remain stagnant. When Dr. Ronald Mason was president, he wanted to raise admission standards so high that only about 5000 would have been able to enroll. His goal, of course, was to make SU oneof the top five HBCUs inthe country. Enrollment peaked in the eighties at just over 10,000 on the BR campus. Today's attendance stands at about 7200 on the BR campus including the schools of law and agriculture. The system enrollment stands at about 13,000. SU has an abundance of housing with nearly all dorms and apartments having been built within the last 20 years

Southern's enrollment decline was triggered by a couple of factors" a lack of enrollment management starting with the selection of a certain chancellor together with the raising of the admission standards. By the way, admission standards will increase again next fall and enrollment will probably decline again or remain stagnant. When Dr. Ronald Mason was president, he wanted to raise admission standards so high that only about 5000 would have been able to enroll. His goal, of course, was to make SU oneof the top five HBCUs inthe country. Enrollment peaked in the eighties at just over 10,000 on the BR campus. Today's attendance stands at about 7200 on the BR campus including the schools of law and agriculture. The system enrollment stands at about 13,000. SU has an abundance of housing with nearly all dorms and apartments having been built within the last 20 years

Currently, SU does not have an abundance of housing. In fact, there has been a waiting list in recent semesters. There has be least 3/4 dorms have been turned down at the back of campus. Several other dorms on campus are not in use. IE. Bradford . I was the first to live in the apartments at the back of campus in 2008. We need new dorms fast. If you don’t replace at the same speed that your are demolishing/shutig down you will run into issues.

The admission standards are definitely slowing down the enrollment at SU and GSU. Many black students aren't getting 20's and up on ACT's but at least are getting quality students.

Reactions: JR
Currently, SU does not have an abundance of housing. In fact, there has been a waiting list in recent semesters. There has be least 3/4 dorms have been turned down at the back of campus. Several other dorms on campus are not in use. IE. Bradford . I was the first to live in the apartments at the back of campus in 2008. We need new dorms fast. If you don’t replace at the same speed that your are demolishing/shutig down you will run into issues.

Southern's dorm are 200% better than what they were when I was in school in the 80's. There were only two air condition dorms (Jones and Boley Halls) back then. IMO, I think the kids are way too spoil these days. I believe the Magnolia Triangle were the biggest set of dorms to be demolished, but were replaced with several new dorms behind Jones and Boley Halls. The only apartment Southern had near or on its campus was The Villa, which was a mess. Now there are fairly new student apartments right off campus on the other side of the bridge/da hump. From what I can tell, most of the older dorms in the front of the campus have been renovated. The Blind School, which initially wasn't built for dorms was demolished. Comparing the high enrollment in the 80's and now, it seems like SU's campus can house at least 10k easily. I assume funding is the reason why several dorms are not in use due to State budget cuts, but I'm sure those dorms can easily be put back to use once the school receive adequate funding via the State or through a drastic increase in enrollment. I'm sure SU's administration see no need to open those dorms for only a few dozen kids and would rather find off-campus housing/apartments for those few kids. Spending a little more to house a few dozen kids off-campus is a lot cheater than operating a dorm that was built to house several 100 kids. Economics is the key that makes a lot of decisions for schools, especially in Louisiana where the State barely funds its institutions of higher learning.

Last edited:
Southern's dorm are 200% better than what they were when I was in school in the 80's. There were only two air condition dorms (Jones and Boley Halls) back then. IMO, I think the kids are way too spoil these days. I believe the Magnolia Triangle were the biggest set of dorms to be demolished, but were replaced with several new dorms behind Jones and Boley Halls. The only apartment Southern had near or on its campus was The Villa, which was a mess. Now there are fairly new student apartments right off campus on the other side of the bridge/da hump. From what I can tell, most of the older dorms in the front of the campus have been renovated. The Blind School, which initially wasn't built for dorms was demolished. Comparing the high enrollment in the 80's and now, it seems like SU's campus can house at least 10k easily. I assume funding is the reason why several dorms are not in use due to State budget cuts, but I'm sure those dorms can easily be put back to use once the school receive adequate funding via the State or through a drastic increase in enrollment. I'm sure SU's administration see no need to open those dorms for only a few dozen kids and would rather find off-campus housing/apartments for those few kids. Spending a little more to house a few dozen kids off-campus is a lot cheater than operating a dorm that was built to house several 100 kids. Economics is the key that makes a lot of decisions for schools, especially in Louisiana where the State barely funds its institutions of higher learning.

Even the Villa got re-furbished. LOL.

Back