Boondocks TV show

silentrage

Delta Girl
Aaron McGruder's strip The Boondocks will make its debut as a cartoon on the Cartoon Network on Oct. 2nd. Select the link below for the full article.

'Boondocks' show will shout, shock, creator promises

By JILL VEJNOSKA
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/18/2005

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. ? "We do not allow white people to work on the show."

It was just a joke, of course. Still, Aaron McGruder's opening comment underscored that he wouldn't be holding anything back in his new animated series, "The Boondocks."

Based on McGruder's hilarious, provocative comic strip appearing in some 350 newspapers (including The Atlanta Journal-Constitution), the TV tale of two African-American brothers (both voiced by actress Regina King) who move to suburbia with their grandfather joins Cartoon Network's late-night Adult Swim lineup on Sundays beginning Oct. 2.

"Boondocks" the series can't be as timely and topical as the comic strip, McGruder said at the Television Critics Association summer press tour. But it's not going soft.

"We still do a lot of mean and vicious," McGruder said after showing a snippet of the first episode, titled "The Trial of R. Kelly."

The newspaper strip allows him to "speak on things immediately," McGruder said, whereas with the TV show, "I have a way to actually shout at the world."

http://www.accessatlanta.com/entertainment/content/entertainment/tv/18tvca.html

Im going to tape all the Episodes.

Did they say that Regina King is doing the voices of the 2 brothers????

I wonder who is gonna do Grandpa and Ceasar?

The Houston Chronicle had an article this morning about the new Boondocks tv show. Select the link for the full article, a portion appears below...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/features/3273244

Boondockspromises animated controversy
Comic-strip creator not afraid to push the limits
By MIKE MCDANIEL
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Aaron McGruder jokingly says his fall TV series won't shy away from being "mean and vicious" when his popular but controversial comic strip spins off into an animated late-night TV series this fall.

Guess not. Episode 1 of The Boondocks (Oct. 2, Cartoon Network's Adult Swim) is titled The Trial of R. Kelly and includes the use of the N-word.

"I think it makes the show sincere," McGruder said about the use of the word. "At a certain point we all have to realize that sometimes we use bad language. And the N-word is used so commonly, by not only myself but also by a lot of people I know, that it feels fake to write around it and to avoid using it."

McGruder's Boondocks comic strip, which appears in the Houston Chronicle, has taken on pop-culture figures and institutions from Michael Jackson to BET to Bobby Brown to Oprah Winfrey with hilarious ? and often controversial ? effect.

BandFan said:
This might encourage children of other races to use the "N" word.

Watch it Aaron, they might be setting you up for the okeydoke.

Surely you don't think other races have eliminated the word from their vocabulary???

cat daddy said:
Surely you don't think other races have eliminated the word from their vocabulary???

Naw, but they might get the courage to say it at the water cooler the next day and think they are funny.

SLOW SINGING.

I would be willing to bet that Dave Chappelle has had a bigger splash on using the "n" at the water cooler than the Boondocks TV show will.

I luv this comic strip. Waiting on the first episode.
Can't wait to see GRANDPA threaten to "pull off tha belt on HUEY." I can only imagine how crazy he will have "Uncle Remus". :slap:

But he better be ready for the crap if he do what he say's.

The same foot-shuffling complainers that "scuttled" the PJ's will try to do the same for this. Blamming everything that's bad in the black community on his show.

This comic strip by far is one of the best comic strips out there. I'm definitely looking forward to the show making its debut. I love it when Magruder takes on jabbing at different fast food restaurants (Which by the way I love to post here). I wouldn't mind lending my voice characterization to be Grandpa!

Back