Booming subscription services are building revenue for companies but sapping customers’ wallets

Olde Hornet

Key Points
  • Seemingly small monthly charges are adding up as people “subscribe” instead of owning an asset outright. Analysts and financial planners say the popular revenue model could result in more personal debt and weigh on people’s ability to save.
  • “What that leaves us with is a lot of income that is spoken for in a person’s paycheck,” says Plaid CEO Zach Perret. “The percentage of free cash flow, or unencumbered income, is a lot lower now than we might have seen in the past.”
  • A $4 or $8 subscription for streaming or makeup might not sound high — but it adds up and might result in “accumulating consumer debt,” according to one financial advisor.

Already figured that out. To get everything I have with cable now will cost about the same and they are quietly raising rates. The only advantage is no contract.

I am definitely not going to get Disney. If I decide to get BET Movie streaming, I will cut something else out. As soon as the Harlem series ends I'm cutting EPIX. There is literally nothing else I want to see on EPIX.....LOL

I am definitely not going to get Disney. If I decide to get BET Movie streaming, I will cut something else out. As soon as the Harlem series ends I'm cutting EPIX. There is literally nothing else I want to see on EPIX.....LOL
This is what I do. I force myself to make tradeoffs. I cut my starz subscription until power comes backs on and then I will cancel again once over.

Back