Books of the Bible

Warndalyn

Postmaster General!!!
Good morning my fellow swacpagers of the prayer board. God is good.

Just wanted some suggestions on what are some good books to read in the bible for good understanding; you know for baby bible readers, such as myself.

I have never been a heavy bible reader, nor any other book reader for that matter; but as a part of my new leaf that I'm turning over, along with the new year upon us, I've decided, with God's help of course, that I'm going to start reading daily. I plan to read the entire bible as a result of this.

Can any of you daily, devoted bible readers and christians suggest some books that I should start with, along with the lesson(s) learned from reading that particular book? For example, if one were to suggest the book of James, then what knowledge will I gain from reading James; encouragement, sin, tithing, prosperity, etc.

Your ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated and I thank God for each and everyone of you in advance.

Peace and God's Blessings to All.:heart::love::heart:

great thread

well, from a "toddler" Bible reader, i feel you 100%.

For me, many of the books of written by Saint Paul are very good for their inspiration.

i have been trying very hard to submit myself before God so that He can help me transform myself from a creature of the flesh into a person of the Spirit.

Paul's writings are very helpful in this endeavor.

Proverbs are always good for instructions on daily living.

Of course, the Gospels themselves will never fail you. If it came out Jesus' mouth, then it needs to enter our ears, eyes, hearts, minds, and souls ... our lives.

I'm on the case for you and i'll keep yo posted.

Again, GRRRREAT thread :D

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Start out simple.

Try getting a Bible like <u>The Study Bible</u>. It is the New International version written in plain English. Each chapter gives a short essay before it to explain what you are about to gain from the reading. It also has a planner on how you can divide the bible over a year or so to read the ENTIRE Bible. It also has footnotes and little captions highlighting words which may need further clarification.

Later you may want a concordance. Try <u>Strong's</u> I hope that helps. Just go to any Christian bookstore or even Walmart.

of course, some of my favorite specific passages are

Proverbs 31

and

Sirach 26

*i have my own blessed reasons :D

Here's a guide I used and boy were my eyes open!

How To Read The Bible For Better Understanding

The Bible is its own best teacher. The Bible however is not arranged like an encyclopedia. You cannot go to chapter 1 and read everything about God and go to chapter 2 to read everything about Jesus, etc. Remember when reading the Bible the verses and chapter breaks are placed in the scriptures by man. It is better to read by paragraph, these too are man-made but they do conform better to the original language than verses. Some ground rules need to be set up first:

Pray first before opening God's word. Ask for guidance and to be able to accept what is written and to be able to apply His will to your life.

Never, never read the Bible trying to proof your belief on any subject. It is only human nature to take ideas out of context.

When you are reading and come across something that does not make sense, reread the paragraph or chapter again. If you still do not understand, write down the problem area and continue onward. You may discover the answers later in your reading.

Do not read large amounts of the Bible in one setting. Take breaks often. Or stay with about 4-6 chapters a day.
Start with the New Testament, people who start with the Old Testament almost never read the Bible all the way through. The New Testament is what is binding on us today not the Old. We need to follow God's will for us today not what was intended for the Jews.

Forget everything you have ever heard about Jesus, God and the Bible before you start reading the Bible. Don't take what you want it to say with you first.

Now with those in mind, lay out the way to read the Bible to let it build on itself:
Read "Mark." (It is written in chronological order.)

Read "Matthew." (It goes into better detail of some events and adds more about Jesus.)

Read "John." (It contains a lot of the life of Jesus not before read, especially his last two weeks before the crucifixion.)

Read "Luke" then "Acts." (Both written by Apostle Paul's traveling companion Luke. Acts is a continuation of Luke. It describes the early church and contains the examples of New Testament conversions.)

Read "Galations." (It deals with the reasons why we do not follow the Old Testament Laws. In a more simplified way than does Romans or Hebrews.)

Then read the rest of the New Testament starting at Romans and going to Revelation.

Your voyage through God's Word will take about 5 weeks. It will be the best traveling you can ever take. You will laugh and you will cry. It has everything that makes a very good book, and lots more. It can teach you the most important things for this life and the one to come.

Wow, this is great!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for that break down Ice Man.:D

Thanks to each of you, keep em comin' folks. I'll keep you guys posted as to how I'm doing.

Peace and God's Blessings

Back