Blockbuster to end Late Fees

Renters say no-late-fees policy not blockbuster to them

By TED GRIGGS
tgriggs@theadvocate.com
Advocate business writer

Just about every Tuesday morning since Blockbuster announced "the end to late fees," Robert Bizette has made his way to the Walker store parking lot -- he likes to get there 20 minutes early or so -- and waited for 10 a.m. That's when the doors open, and he can rush in and rent the latest movies.
"This is the only way you can get a new release. You have to be here when they open the doors," Bizette said of the store in Livingston Parish. "This is like the day after Thanksgiving.

"I'm not joking about that."

Tuesday is new-release day at Blockbuster. Since the company stopped charging late fees, Bizette said, it's been tougher to get new movies because people don't return them as quickly.

A week ago, Bizette was one of 20 or so customers waiting outside the store.

"I can only imagine come March 2 what it's going to be like because that's SpongeBob coming out," Bizette said. "It's kind of ridiculous. It's hurting the people that pay the monthly rental."

Several of the people in the Tuesday morning crowd have purchased Blockbuster's Movie Pass.

For $24.99 a month, the customer receives unlimited movie rentals but can only pick up two movies at a time.

Kimberly Phillips is thinking about dumping her Movie Pass membership. There are movies that came out three weeks ago that she has yet to see, such as "Shall We Dance," Phillips said. Earlier last week, Phillips sat at the store for 45 minutes, waiting on a customer to return "Mr. 3000."

"We're pretty much getting the jack end of it because of these other people who are keeping the movies for six or seven days," Phillips said.

Blockbuster gives renters a one-week grace period. After that the company automatically bills the customer's credit card or membership account for the DVD or video's price. If the person returns the movie within 30 days, Blockbuster gives the customer store credit less a restocking fee of $1.25 plus applicable taxes.

Some customers are more accepting of the inconvenience. Connie Campbell said Tuesday mornings at Blockbuster are part of her regular routine now.

"I don't even think about it anymore," she said.

The problem isn't unique to Walker or even Louisiana.

On Friday, the Orange County Register reported that while some customers like the new policy, others are frustrated. Store shelves of in-demand movies can remain empty for days or even weeks, the newspaper reported.

Blockbuster officials could not be reached for comment. However, other news agencies have reported the company has denied there is a problem.

The company began the new program Jan. 1 as part of an effort to fight off Internet-based movie rental businesses such as Netflix. Blockbuster markets its new strategy as "The end of late fees. The start of more."

But Phillips said that since Blockbuster put the new policy into place, "it's like they don't have enough movies or something."

Phillips said she and her friends are tired of watching and re-watching movies they've already seen because they can't get a new one.

Personally, I haven't had any problems w/getting movies. I always find what I want at Blockbuster.

Back