Black students being expelled, why so many?

PRINCE HALL

We all know some or the reasons, but as college educated folks what's the solution to this crisis?

We must help this generation get that train on the track and running.

Why Are So Many Black Students being Expelled?

Earl Ofari Hutchinson, Pacific News Service
June 6, 2002

The Black World Today

The well-publicized suspension of Black students from a high school in Decatur, Illinois, in 1999 by the mostly white school board for fighting at a football game raised huge warning flags that school officials deal more harshly with Black students who misbehave than white students.

Now the U.S. Department of Education, in its latest report on school discipline, reveals that Blacks comprise nearly one out of three students kicked out of the nation's public schools, though Blacks make up less than 20 percent of public school students.

Educators chalk up the lopsided number of Black student expulsions to poverty, cultural differences and linguistic misunderstandings. Others claim that Black students are more prone to pick fights, deal drugs and pack guns and knives at schools than whites.

But this dodges the issue of racial bias.

At the score of high schools where white students have gone on murderous rampages in the past few years, teachers and school administrators ignored danger signs that the students were time bombs waiting to explode, or ladled out hand-slap punishments to them. Where were the disciplinarians when the Columbine duo preached violent rhetoric, made racial threats and called themselves the "trench-coat mafia"?

As for narcotics, numerous studies have repeatedly shown that young whites are far more likely to use and deal drugs on high school campuses than Blacks.

The truth is that many teachers and administrators expel more Black students than whites because of racial fear and ignorance, and because many Black students fuel that fear and ignorance by their own dress and actions. Urban riots and civil disturbances reinforced white fears that young Black males are eternal menaces to society. When some young Blacks turned to gangs, guns and drugs and terrorized their communities, much of the press titillated the public with endless features on what it presented as the crime-prone, crack-plagued, blood-stained streets of the ghetto. TV action news crews turned this image-making into a major growth industry: They routinely stalked Black neighborhoods filming busts for the nightly news.

The explosion of "gangsta rap" and a spate of Hollywood ghetto films convinced many Americans that the thug lifestyle was the Black lifestyle. They had ghastly visions of the boys-in-the-hoods heading for their neighborhoods next.

Teachers and school administrators in urban school districts see countless examples of young Blacks that don't fit the warped racial stereotypes. These students work hard, do well in school, attend college, and many achieve success in business and the professions. But negative racial images are hard to shake. Any Black youth, whether a Rhodes scholar, National Science medal winner or junior achievement candidate, could find himself tagged as a gangster.

Many Black youths reinforce racial stereotypes by aping and exulting the thuggish bluster and behavior of gangster rappers in a desperate search for self-identity and esteem. Their tough talk, swagger and mannerisms are defense mechanisms. An accidental bump, an insult, personal challenge, criticism or rejection that happens on the street or in a school corridor is often taken by insecure Black males as an ego challenge. That perceived challenge often spirals into violence.

Many teachers and school administrators regard this not as a kid's overreaction, but as ingrown social incorrigibility that must be swiftly and severely punished. Parents and civil rights groups have responded with pickets, protests and lawsuits over what they brand as racial profiling in school.

But this won't stop more Black students from getting the boot. That will only happen when teachers and administrators realize that all Black students aren't thugs -- and when many Black students stop acting as if they were.

Earl Ofari Hutchinson (EHutchi344@aol.com) is a columnist and the author of "The Crisis in Black and Black" (Middle Passage Press).\

``````````````````````````````````````````````````############################################

cryin shame

You're right HALL, the only way to turn this problem around is to change these people's minds and get our kids back on the right track. It ain't gonna happen as long as everyone is looking at the negatives that are portrayed for us. While adults look at that and figure that's how we all are and while kids look at that and decide that's how they want to be, we'll never head anyway but down. The sooner we convince everyone that it's ENTERTAINMENT, not a LIFESTYLE, the better off we'll be.

How do we go about doing that? I dunno. One person at a time, I guess.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I must say dealing with the youth today is a challege. If we can just get the youth of today to see the big picture and see that we are behind enemy lines in this country. Our power will come from getting educated, repecting each other more within our race, and stop hatin on ourselves and killing each other. The most important thing along with those point is to trust in God and follow him.

Originally posted by JaguarNationAJL
I must say dealing with the youth today is a challege. If we can just get the youth of today to see the big picture and see that we are behind enemy lines in this country. Our power will come from getting educated, repecting each other more within our race, and stop hatin on ourselves and killing each other. The most important thing along with those point is to trust in God and follow him.

I agree.

THESE DAYUM PARENTS...

need to stand up and raise their children!They want everyone else to do it EXCEPT them! Being expeled is a process, unless something extreme happens. When some parents are "made aware" of their child's behavior, the quick response is "you're lying on my child" knowing full well that he/she raises hell at home! Parents curse out the teachers and administrators in the presence of the child giving the child the idea that they have been vindicated, because momma showed her a$$! This only causes more problems and the child's file builds to the point that a recommendation for expulsion is made. Based on the evidence presented, the school board makes the decision to expel or not.

The individual.

I am of the opinion that the buck stops ultimately with the individual. As individuals we are constantly making decisions, even the youth of today. The youth of today have a 50% stake in their destiny because there will come a time when they make a "yes" or "no" decision to do something with or without the input of parents, society, whoever.

My 2 Cents

Did you see that fight in Illinois? That was a freaking brawl. Should those kids have been expelled.......yes. Should they have been placed in an alternative school? Yes.

There is no one solution to this problem. Living in Arkansas I can honestly say that there are just as many white kids getting expelled as black kids. I don't look at this as a white/black issue, I look at it as a society issue. Youth of today have no fear. I recently went home and walked through my high school and honestly I was ashamed. There was no discipline. Teachers were just being laxed.

We could easily say that we need harsher punishments for crimes but what will that solve? We can also use the excuse that Bush is the President, but we all know he has a ZERO tolerence. In short I really don't know how to solve this problem.

All I can do is set an example not just for my young Brothers but also all young men. :(

Re: My 2 Cents

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
Youth of today have no fear. I recently went home and walked through my high school and honestly I was ashamed. There was no discipline. Teachers were just being laxed.

So true. Teachers get almost no help from the parents nor the community. Those teachers who come in ready to teach and help the youth are discouraged within the first couple of years and either get out of the profession or fall into what you experienced. Being a teacher today is more stressful than it ever has been.

It would not shock me if one day some teachers turned into post office workers.

:( it shouldn't have to be like that but it is very dangerous being a teacher even with security on campus.

Back