Black Businesses…SMH

The Founder

So I’m teaching my son that it is best to get a quote. He has also watched me build my house and I am self contracting it.

Well he needed some work on his car. He goes and figures out what is wrong. He ask the black business for a quote if my son purchased the parts. The black business owner said “I won’t know a quote until I finish the job.” Meanwhile the white business gave him a quote.

A quote is an amount before the work is done. A bill is what you receive after the work is done. So I call the black business owner and he tells me “well I know what’s wrong but it may some other stuff going on and I need to see what’s really happening before I get up under there.”

I thought I was speaking to JSU’s former head coach. I told my son go ahead over to the white folks because this ninja trippin.

You can give a quote before starting and if something else pops up-just add that later.

Even the dealership or Firestone will tell you that and they only offer an estimate and won't do it if you don't want them to.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
You can give a quote before starting and if something else pops up-just add that later.

Even the dealership or Firestone will tell you that and they only offer an estimate and won't do it if you don't want them to.

You missing my point…he said he would give a quote after he is finished the work. That’s not a quote that’s a bill for services done.

I wasn’t gonna post anything on this thread but after what happened today, I HAVE to....

After 3 years, 3 months, and 15 days of battling lung, brain, spine, and liver cancers, my Lord Jesus told my mother “Enough” and allowed her to peacefully and painlessly transition from this life on May 13th to rest in bliss with Him.

Our mother had told us (me and my sister) specifically what she wanted, and so once we could get a hold ourselves, we began to plan for her home-going. Just prior to her transition, our mother had consented to being placed into hospice home care, so, we had to notify them when she passed. Them white folks was on it!

The nurse was there within 15 minutes we called. She came in & checked my mother’s vitals and shook her head. She IMMEDIATELY gave her condolences to us both. She calmly explained the protocol of what she had to do next and explained WHY she had to. One task involved calling the police (to ensure no abuse or neglect). When the officer arrived, he (white male) IMMEDIATELY expressed his condolences and looked (discreetly) over our mother (checked her arms, face, legs) to confirm no abuse. He then asked, “Is this Momma?”, and when we said “yes”, he again gave his condolences and with tears welling in his eyes told us his mother passed away 5 months ago. He explained that the law required him to be present when the body was taken from the home, but out of respect for our grief, he’d give us privacy and wait outside in his patrol car.

Our mother wanted to be cremated; it was the hospice nurse that called Arkansas Cremation Services. Since our mother died of natural causes, her body had to be taken by a funeral home service. The service we would use was 92 miles away, so we couldn’t think straight. The hospice nurse calle the funeral home associated with ACS; they were there in 20 minutes. Upon arrival, he and his wife introduced themselves and also gave their condolences. He told us where he’d be taking our mother and he would care for her like he would his own. He gave us a few minutes before taking my Momma away.

Later that day we got a call from the Crematorium, and that white woman knew her stuff. She immediately gave her condolences and made an appointment for Momma’s cremation. She gave us the link to pick out urns and suggested that if ashes were buried to purchase a vault. A few hours later the Crematorium director called us to confirm the cremation, after offering his condolences. He told us exactly what would happen the minute we got there, and the day of Momma’s cremation, we followed it to a T! He too let us say our final goodbye to our mother and after pulling ourselves together calmly told us which button would start the process. Holding hands, my sister and I locked our fingers together and pressed it. When the Crematorium director saw we were about to be set off again, he kindly suggested we go order Momma’s urn & vault. He was very patient with us and quoted us prices for the urn, vault, inscription, and death certificates. After checking things out, his price matched the quote exactly. He gave his condolences again and told us when to pick up our mother’s ashes.
We got a call from Carol the day he gave us informing us everything was ready.

The funeral home that Momma wanted for her service were Black-owned located in her hometown in Warren. And this is where it got ugly.

First, my sister called and it was like pulling teeth the get info from this knee-grow! When we asked exactly what services they provide, he was like, “whatever you’d like us to”. Do you provide graveside? “If that’s what you want”. What does that include? “We’ll be at the grave site service”.
When I called to secure the date of our mother’s service, which was 16 days in advance, he said, “Your sister didn’t say anything about it”. I told him that I wanted to secure the date, and asked if it was available. He said, “That’s too far ahead”. I again explained that I wanted to secure a date, and he repeated it was too far ahead. I finally said, “Mr. Hammons, DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING BOOKED FOR THAT DATE?”. He replied, ‘No’ and I asked if we could have that date and he said ‘Yes’. I explained 3 times what we needed him to and gave him the date and time again. He said “ok”.

Yesterday, 16 days later, I called to confirm. He wasn’t in and his secretary said she’d have him call me back tomorrow. He didn’t call today, so I called again. He wasn’t in again today either. I explained to her I needed to confirm he’d be in place on the date we agreed. She said she’d try to get to him and have him call me. About 45 minutes later, she called me back and said, “Mr. Hammons has an out-of-town funeral that morning AND WON’T BE BACK IN TIME FOR YOUR SERVICE”!!!!

This was today.....4 days before my mother’s home-going.

Last edited:
I wasn’t gonna post anything on this thread but after what happened today, I HAVE to....

After 3 years, 3 months, and 15 days of battling lung, brain, spine, and liver cancers, my Lord Jesus told my mother “Enough” and allowed her to peacefully and painlessly transition from this life on May 13th to rest in bliss with Him.

Our mother had told us (me and my sister) specifically what she wanted, and so once we could get a hold ourselves, we began to plan for her home-going. Just prior to her transition, our mother had consented to being placed into hospice home care, so, we had to notify them when she passed. Them white folks was on it!

The nurse was there within 15 minutes we called. She came in & checked my mother’s vitals and shook her head. She IMMEDIATELY gave her condolences to us both. She calmly explained the protocol of what she had to do next and explained WHY she had to. One task involved calling the police (to ensure no abuse or neglect). When the officer arrived, he (white male) IMMEDIATELY expressed his condolences and looked (discreetly) over our mother (checked her arms, face, legs) to confirm no abuse. He then asked, “Is this Momma?”, and when we said “yes”, he again gave his condolences and with tears welling in his eyes told us his mother passed away 5 months ago. He explained that the law required him to be present when the body was taken from the home, but out of respect for our grief, he’d give us privacy and wait outside in his patrol car.

Our mother wanted to be cremated; it was the hospice nurse that called Arkansas Cremation Services. Since our mother died of natural causes, her body had to be taken by a funeral home service. The service we would use was 92 miles away, so we couldn’t think straight. The hospice nurse calle the funeral home associated with ACS; they were there in 20 minutes. Upon arrival, he and his wife introduced themselves and also gave their condolences. He told us where he’d be taking our mother and he would care for her like he would his own. He gave us a few minutes before taking my Momma away.

Later that day we got a call from the Crematorium, and that white woman knew her stuff. She immediately gave her condolences and made an appointment for Momma’s cremation. She gave us the link to pick out urns and suggested that if ashes were buried to purchase a vault. A few hours later the Crematorium director called us to confirm the cremation, after offering his condolences. He told us exactly what would happen the minute we got there, and the day of Momma’s cremation, we followed it to a T! He too let us say our final goodbye to our mother and after pulling ourselves together calmly told us which button would start the process. Holding hands, my sister and I locked our fingers together and pressed it. When the Crematorium director saw we were about to be set off again, he kindly suggested we go order Momma’s urn & vault. He was very patient with us and quoted us prices for the urn, vault, inscription, and death certificates. After checking things out, his price matched the quote exactly. He gave his condolences again and told us when to pick up our mother’s ashes.

The funeral home that Momma wanted for her service were Black-owned located in her hometown in Warren. And this is where it got ugly.

First, my sister called and it was like pulling teeth the get info from this knee-grow! When we asked exactly what services they provide, he was like, “whatever you’d like us to”. Do you provide graveside? “If that’s what you want”. What does that include? “We’ll be at the grave site service”.
When I called to secure the date of our mother’s service, which was 16 days in advance, he said, “Your sister didn’t say anything about it”. I told him that I wanted to secure the date, and asked if it was available. He said, “That’s too far ahead”. I again explained that I wanted to secure a date, and he repeated it was too far ahead. I finally said, “Mr. Hammons, DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING BOOKED FOR THAT DATE?”. He replied, ‘No’ and I asked if we could have that date and he said ‘Yes’. I explained 3 times what we needed him to and gave him the date and time again. He said “ok”.

Yesterday, 16 days later, I called to confirm. He wasn’t in and his secretary said she’d have him call me back tomorrow. He didn’t call today, so I called again. He wasn’t in again today either. I explained to her I needed to confirm he’d be in place on the date we agreed. She said she’d try to get to him and have him call me. About 45 minutes later, she called me back and said, “Mr. Hammons has an out-of-town funeral that morning AND WON’T BE BACK IN TIME FOR YOUR SERVICE”!!!!

My condolences to you and your family. It is a shame that some businesses give a black eye to the ones that are doing the right thing.

When I was a service manager, I had to do quotes all of the time. I always typed a disclaimer stating that the quote is good for 30 days and if additional issues were found, I would provide a new quote and would ask for approval prior to repairing the new findings.

My sincerest condolences, @96lioness . Unfortunately, you are not alone in dealing w/ the stupidity. That same funeral home HAS to be related to the only black family serving one in my home county.

So I’m teaching my son that it is best to get a quote. He has also watched me build my house and I am self contracting it.

Well he needed some work on his car. He goes and figures out what is wrong. He ask the black business for a quote if my son purchased the parts. The black business owner said “I won’t know a quote until I finish the job.” Meanwhile the white business gave him a quote.

A quote is an amount before the work is done. A bill is what you receive after the work is done. So I call the black business owner and he tells me “well I know what’s wrong but it may some other stuff going on and I need to see what’s really happening before I get up under there.”

I thought I was speaking to JSU’s former head coach. I told my son go ahead over to the white folks because this ninja trippin.
*speechless*

People.... smh

I understand the frustration and makes it hard on Black businesses that try to do things right. I own an accounting firm. People come in with all type of messes and want a quote. I give them an estimate based on the expected hours or I give a range. I also add and it is in my engagement letter, that if I run into or find something that require additional time, I will discuss it with them before proceeding. I am having same type issues with my Mom's home plumbing. In one case, black guy I have known all my life, did not finish the work. In another case, I went back and forth with black person (doing 600 miles away, trying to get my niece straight in the house) and finally I figure out he did not think I had the money as he started talking about the parts he would need to get. I told him, I would send my niece my credit card and she would go with him to buy the parts. After all that, I go home, see a leak, and other things, called the plumber, and ask him, 'I told you to fix everything and later on, I would have you come back and add the new type of pipe that is freeze proof to 20 below, if I liked his service. Now, going to a white company.

@Band Fan
@TSU/BAMA
@The Founder
@Bewildered

Thank you all so much! Ever since the day my mother passed, I’ve been so scatterbrained. I’m just now starting to get back to some normalcy with my daily routine; still not quite where I was, and don’t know if I’ll ever be again. I’ll be 50 years old in December (if God says so), I have 2 fully grown daughters, but sometimes I feel like I did when I was 4 years old and I got lost in Twin Lakes Mall in Wichita, KS, and couldn’t find my mother.

To those of you who own businesses (@Stillabrave) or do business from your home, PLEASE do good work, provide service to others BETTER than you’d want for yourselves! Be honest, be straightforward but BE POLITE, be courteous, most of all UNDERSTANDING! And work as if Jesus Christ was your boss, standing there with His clipboard, evaluating YOUR work and work ethic.

Above all, be a credit to your profession, be a credit to your faith, and be a credit to our race. There are quite a few of us that do and provide great service!

@CEE DOG, I love you, my brother!❤️

@Band Fan
@TSU/BAMA
@The Founder
@Bewildered

Thank you all so much! Ever since the day my mother passed, I’ve been so scatterbrained. I’m just now starting to get back to some normalcy with my daily routine; still not quite where I was, and don’t know if I’ll ever be again. I’ll be 50 years old in December (if God says so), I have 2 fully grown daughters, but sometimes I feel like I did when I was 4 years old and I got lost in Twin Lakes Mall in Wichita, KS, and couldn’t find my mother.

To those of you who own businesses (@Stillabrave) or do business from your home, PLEASE do good work, provide service to others BETTER than you’d want for yourselves! Be honest, be straightforward but BE POLITE, be courteous, most of all UNDERSTANDING! And work as if Jesus Christ was your boss, standing there with His clipboard, evaluating YOUR work and work ethic.

Above all, be a credit to your profession, be a credit to your faith, and be a credit to our race. There are quite a few of us that do and provide great service!

@CEE DOG, I love you, my brother!❤️

Ummm you know CeeDog single right....and you single..... @CEE DOG

You two would make a good couple.....The Saint and the Freak.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
@96lioness my condolences to you sweetie. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. If you need anything sure you let me know.

CeeDog....ummmm you might be setting yourself up. Lioness will have you tied up like a gimp.

mtv gimp GIF

Condolences to you and your family during this really tough time, especially with a business making it harder smh

I am sorry for your loss and for your dealings with incompetence!!!

The black funeral home we dealt with in Montgomery was great, no issues at all. The problem that we encountered was the pastor at my mother's church. He was such a jerk and ego maniac we found another preacher and location to do her service.

I would like to add something positive about black businesses. My Mom passed away 3 years ago. The funeral home, in Mississippi was as professional as I had ever seen. I knew the owner as an Alcorn Graduate. However, the owner did not know it was my Mom to the day of the services as he has 4 funeral homes and he operates from his home one in another town, and his son runs the one in my home town. And he has the company set up to run right in finances, etc., actually has set up as a Corporation. Being an accountant, he gets big points from me on that.

On a lighter note, doing the services, the pastor, whom I knew was close to my Mom, but being away, had not known they had grown so close. He made the statement, called out me and my sisters by name, and said that several years ago, we got another brother. My head shot straight up. Like what the hell he talking about. Thinking back to when my father passed when I was in college, and we found out that I had 2 additional brothers I had no idea about. anyway, he than went on to say, that several years ago, he became out brother. Whewwwwww. Because until he said that, I was all confused.

I have heard that self contracting is a way to gain significant equity on your home. How did you learn about this? Are there any books or videos about this?

Guess who I got a call from today?

The secretary of the funeral home called me today, at 1426 (2:26PM), 20 hours & 36 minutes before my mother’s home-going, and had the nerve to ask,

“MR. HAMMONS WANTED TO KNOW IF WE STILL NEEDED THE TENT AND CHAIRS?”

The mental state I was in.........I’m sorry, but blood was the only thing that would’ve satisfied me.

I’m better now.....

Back