Bishop in a Baptist church?? Is this wrong??

MarriedSigma

What do yall think about churches, especially baptist churches, that have a pastor with the biblical title of Bishop and not some one with the title of Reverend??

MarriedSigma said:
What do yall think about churches, especially baptist churches, that have a pastor with the biblical title of Bishop and not some one with the title of Reverend??

Since you worded the question in that manner I am curious. Could you explain the definition of a baptist church?

MarriedSigma said:

Not sure I understand your question.
But there is a difference between a bishop and a reverend.
A reverend may be the overseer/pastor or even an clergy associate of one church. A bishop, which is a higher rank, is the overseer at his/her own church and also presides or has supervision over more than one or over several ministries/churches.

CriTAUcal said:
Not sure I understand your question.
But there is a difference between a bishop and a reverend.
A reverend may be the overseer/pastor or even an clergy associate of one church. A bishop, which is a higher rank, is the overseer at his/her own church and also presides or has supervision over more than one or over several ministries/churches.
He said Baptist Church. There is no such structure in the Baptist Church.

docmump said:
He said Baptist Church. There is no such structure in the Baptist Church.

What about Bishop Eddie Long of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church? Or is their a diff. between bapist and missionary baptist?

FAB5 said:
What about Bishop Eddie Long of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church? Or is their a diff. between bapist and missionary baptist?
I thought Eddie Long was under Paul Mourtin.

FAB5 said:
My response it to what CRIT posted. Not to the fact that Baptist churches not having bishops.

To clarify my question, here in Kansas City our Pastor shed the name of Reverend and based on the scriptures of 1 Timothy 3:1-7, the Holy Spirit elevated him to become a Bishop. Is this wrong judging that you never see the word reverend in the bible??

docmump said:
I thought Eddie Long was under Paul Mourtin.

And Paul Morton began in Greater Saint Stephens Missionary Baptist Church...it wasn't until later years that they went "FULL GOSPEL"....

it allows more freedom...

MarriedSigma said:
To clarify my question, here in Kansas City our Pastor shed the name of Reverend and based on the scriptures of 1 Timothy 3:1-7, the Holy Spirit elevated him to become a Bishop. Is this wrong judging that you never see the word reverend in the bible??
The term translated bishop in the passage is the same a pastor. So, based on 1 Timothy 3, there is no elevation involved. He merely switched titles.

Elevation gets involved within systems of institutions where the position of bishop involves supervisory responsibilities. To make a long story short, the answer to the original form of the question will depend on the Baptist convention that you participate in. Some of them recognize the position of Bishop, and others do not. Some have bishops without supervisory responsibilities at all.

Back