Billy Joe's thoughts on celebrity head coaches (long read)

Venom Skywalker

S. Enigma
THE CONTROVERSY: HBCUs HIRING NFL ICONS AS HEAD FOOTBALL COACHES, WITHOUT PREVIOUS COLLEGE COACHING EXPERIENCE

Written by Billy Joe

First, I believe identifying this paradigm, Deion Sanders at Jackson State University and Eddie George at Tennessee State University, as a controversy is a misnomer. In my opinion, it is an experiment, and I am certainly hopeful that this experiment is a smashing success. This experiment has been provoking an intense reaction from the black sports community, and I hope my article presents more than an adequate case in support of the recruitment of these NFL superstars.

Black college presidents and athletic directors can’t lament, they must realize that something very innovative and inventive needs to be done to prevent the quality of black college football from descending further into a dismal and an incomprehensible cosmic black hole. It’s a morbid point but HBCU football needs a vitamin B-12 injection!

HBCU supporters should not be skeptical or apprehensive about the existential motives of these great NFL players. No previous college coaching experience on their resume should not be a litmus test for these guys. Who cares if these rich NFL superstars are using a truncated HBCU football career as a stepping stone to acquire a head coaching position with a major historically white college or university (HWCU). Who cares if their protracted college football playing career was not at an HBCU, or they graduated from an HWCU. I am definitely a proponent of giving this experiment a chance to be successful, because black college football has lost its lure for top, five star recruits. The allure of just playing for an HBCU is not viable enough to attract the great football players anymore. These NFL superstars may be wealthy dilettantes, but for some unfathomable reason, I believe these guys care about HBCU football enough to use their philanthropy and make a genuinely concerted effort to recruit great football players. I believe they are on a crusade to rejuvenate black college football by recruiting quality student-athletes. Therefore, don’t let anyone obfuscate the facts about these guys or assuage your need to know the truth; there is nothing nefarious about these guys. But, soon enough, Sanders and George will know that heavy is the head that wears the crown of an HBCU Football Coach.

View: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3901303233257251&id=100001328378953

Last edited by a moderator:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Deion and Eddie George will need to be tougher than sewer rats and rancid roaches in order to absorb the vitriol of bad press and propaganda they will receive when they lose games. Eddie George, underneath his beguiling and smooth demeanor, when the rubber meets the road, he will occasionally need to be a diabolical evil tyrant!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I arrived a looooooooong time ago to meet intelligence in order to meet this new challenge w/ a new formula.

Since Billy Joe reiterated my thoughts/support of the JSU hire, tell us, who actually looks stupid fighting against the required change? :D lol

Success is right around JSU's corner and they are going to dominate everyone on their schedule.

It's too easy to acquire thoroughbreds equipped to run the fast race vs putting slow donkeys and mules in the exact same race and "wish" for competivity.

Maybe this article should open everyone's eyes a little bit...at least those that have been asleep for a long time! In summation, the article stresses the importance of changing the formula and overall methods, because what we've historically done has led us to the bottom! Wake up or get left behind!

And if you slander in public, you best believe you gon get slandered relentlessly. The time is up for foolishness! Ain't nobody stopping us, but us! Remember the Children of Israel can't be cursed since we are a blessed people; BUT we can curse ourselves!

Maybe this article should open everyone's eyes a little bit...at least those that have been asleep for a long time! In summation, the article stresses the importance of changing the formula and overall methods, because what we've historically done has led us to the bottom! Wake up or get left behind!

And if you slander in public, you best believe you gon get slandered relentlessly. The time is up for foolishness! Ain't nobody stopping us, but us! Remember the Children of Israel can't be cursed since we are a blessed people; BUT we can curse ourselves!

It's really a shame that someone at Billy Joe's level had to state the obvious. Someone who was a part of that former process, involved w/ the process, has dissected the change which occurred over the last 50+ years in the trenches had to affirm it? lmao! L...M...M...F...A...OOOOOOOOO!!!!

Where is everyone's intelligence? Is lack of intelligence STILL "open-enrollment" post HBCU graduation? lol & smgdh

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Basically he said it’s a good idea because of the apathy within our schools and fanbases. We plan poorly, don’t fundraise, don’t donate, don’t consistently attend the games, and for the most part travel poorly. Our coaches rely on “relationships” for recruiting as much as the pro scouts we’re complaining about, etc etc. So maybe a big celebrity name can magically overcome this.

Basically he said it’s a good idea because of the apathy within our schools and fanbases. We plan poorly, don’t fundraise, don’t donate, don’t consistently attend the games, and for the most part travel poorly. Our coaches rely on “relationships” for recruiting as much as the pro scouts we’re complaining about, etc etc. So maybe a big celebrity name can magically overcome this.

I think Coach Joe was coming from the "what more you've gotta lose" angle

I think Coach Joe was coming from the "what more you've gotta lose" angle
Nah he said it without being as ugly as he could have been.

“I don’t believe HBCUs have in their coffers and/or endowment and are willing to commit it to the upgrade of their football infrastructure enough to compete with major colleges. HBCUs are not willing to build 100,000 seat capacity stadiums on campus, multi-million dollar weight rooms, etc.”

it’s the “...and are willing part ...” that caught my attention because he’s spoken on this before. It shouldn’t take a celebrity to do what we should’ve been doing all along with better planning and more belief in self.

“I don’t believe HBCUs have in their coffers and/or endowment and are willing to commit it to the upgrade of their football infrastructure enough to compete with major colleges. HBCUs are not willing to build 100,000 seat capacity stadiums on campus, multi-million dollar weight rooms, etc.”

it’s the “...and are willing part ...” that caught my attention because he’s spoken on this before. It shouldn’t take a celebrity to do what we should’ve been doing all along with better planning and more belief in self.
Fundraising and development growing are issues at our schools ... athletics and academically as a whole

I totally agree, excellent read. Something can be said for doing the same thing over and over again but some how expecting different results. It may be time to try something new.

Is that what Coach Joe said? If so, I'm cool with it.

But how many folks have SCREAMED all this and been ignored?

Question-what motivation would a HBCU have to build a 100K stadium? If you average say 20K? Where are the 80K are going to come from? 80K is not coming to see that coach. The National title and playoffs? Deon is not sniffing that at JSU.
The folks who decided those playoffs are going to make sure of that.

He says endowments are an issue-well here is your choice be more selective in who you accept to increase graduation rates or cut some stuff.

But how many folks have SCREAMED all this and been ignored?

Question-what motivation would a HBCU have to build a 100K stadium? If you average say 20K? Where are the 80K are going to come from? 80K is not coming to see that coach. The National title and playoffs? Deon is not sniffing that at JSU.
The folks who decided those playoffs are going to make sure of that.

He says endowments are an issue-well here is your choice be more selective in who you accept to increase graduation rates or cut some stuff.
We don’t need 100,000 seat stadiums. That’s so far off into never it’s not even worth talking about. What we need, and have needed for at least the last 30 years is to figure out how to pack the stadiums we have now, regardless of opponent. And it doesn’t take a whole lotta money to do that, it takes getting off our asses.

Back