Bill Introduced to Remove Law School From Texas Southern, Operate as Standalone Institution

A bill that would separate the Thurgood Marshall School of Law from Texas Southern University is drawing criticism from university leadership just over a week after the legislation was introduced.

Texas Rep. Harold Dutton, an alumnus of both Texas Southern and the Marshall School of Law, filed the bill on Feb. 25 which would transfer operational oversight of the law school from the TSU Board of Regents to its own separate governing body, and would grant eminent domain for the new board to purchase land in support of the new school’s operation.

I think what they are doing is trying to preserve the school of law in case there are any budget cuts. Another issue is it may be some inside political fighting....

Except there is no plan or discussion to put TSU under the UH system. In regards to PV... they were under the A&M system from the beginning if I'm not mistaken.

Except there is no plan or discussion to put TSU under the UH system. In regards to PV... they were under the A&M system from the beginning if I'm not mistaken.

Spot on. From day one of our creation, we were under the governance of the TAMUS. Very good, j4l.

Spot on. From day one of our creation, we were under the governance of the TAMUS. Very good, j4l.

I remember when I took my baby (now in PV's CoN) to freshman orientation. We learned that Prairie View is the only HBCU in Texas mentioned in the Texas Constitution; I can't remember the details but I remember them saying it's in the article that discusses education and the establishment of schools under the A&M University system.

I remember when I took my baby (now in PV's CoN) to freshman orientation. We learned that Prairie View is the only HBCU in Texas mentioned in the Texas Constitution; I can't remember the details but I remember them saying it's in the article that discusses education and the establishment of schools under the A&M University system.

Not just the only HBCU. PV, UT and A&M are the only schools mentioned in the Texas Constitution. Constitutionally speaking, Texas A&M was founded as the agricultural branch of the University of Texas despite opening before UT. Texas would not have gotten federal funding for A&M without also establishing PV in Article 3, Section 14 which was later amended in 1983 when PV was designated as an "institution of the first class" and granted access to the Permanent University Fund along with UT and Texas A&M

Last edited:
I saw it last week and read it, but I find no reason to take it seriously. First, the bill is not co-authored nor does it have a co-sponsor(s). Second, the state of Texas is not about to autonomously fund any law school, especially one that caters to black folks and liberal black folks for added emphasis. Third, it's senseless that Rep. Harold Dutton would pull such a stunt, and that is what I believe this is since he knows the Thurgood Marshall School of Law would be closed within three legislative sessions/10 years without the political cover and protection of Texas Southern University. Last, I look for him to pull the bill once his ego has been satisfied off of the attention he is getting.

Last edited:
We are expecting a 2.7% increase in our state appropriation for operations support as well as be held harmless with our existing appropriations.

We've also requested in this biennial for an additional $20M in infrastructure support, College of Pharmacy support and recruitment and retention needs which looks favorable .

We are probably in our best financial stability in decades due to our healthy reserve, capital expenditure plan and not to mention our latest Moody's rating which has improved due to our conservative financial practices.

Last edited:
Is he up for re-election any time soon?????

Bama, the thing is he is 17 term incumbent and is very popular in his district, fifth ward, so toppling him would be a tough act.

It's so senseless, he has done so much to help our school over the years from co-sponsoring and filing bills to increase appropriations to co-sponsoring and filing bills to strengthen and maintain our standing as an independent/autonomous institution.

With that said, I still expect this bill to be pulled or not make it through the legislative process called "calendars" which would effectively deep-six it.

Bama, the thing is he is 17 term incumbent and is very popular in his district, fifth ward, so toppling him would be a tough act.

It's so senseless, he has done so much to help our school over the years from co-sponsoring and filing bills to increase appropriations to co-sponsoring and filing bills to strengthen and maintain our standing as an independent/autonomous institution.

With that said, I still expect this bill to be pulled or not make it through the legislative process called "calendars" which would effectively deep-six it.
Right TSU isn't even in his district. Garnett Coleman is the State Rep covering TSU and UH.

Rep. Dutton believes that there has been a lot of misunderstanding surrounding the overall intent of the bill due to many individuals not understanding his intent. He tells the Forward Times that since he has been in the Texas Legislature, there have been discussions about placing TSU into a system and that HB 2383 was a part of an ongoing effort to fight against the efforts of others to eliminate TSU’s independence.

In a statement given to the Forward Times, Rep. Dutton states:

The facts first. There are 37 public colleges and universities in Texas. Only 4 are not in a university system. There are 6 university systems in Texas and for the last, at least 20 years, there have been discussions about placing TSU into a system. Secondly, these discussions, more recently, have become louder and I felt the need to be proactive in trying to secure the future of TSU, which resulted in the filing of HB 2383. The bill, as drafted, would make the law school at TSU a standalone university, but IF, and only IF, TSU was placed into a system. Then the legislature would have to debate the issue of the law school at TSU becoming a standalone university. However, the bill filing deadline was this past Friday and because no bill was filed to place TSU into a system, therefore, the need for HB 2383 was no longer necessary, so the bill was withdrawn on Monday from consideration by the Higher Education Committee. However, as Chairman of the Texas Legislative Black Caucus, I speak on their behalf when I say…we will remain vigilante at protecting the future of our university- Texas Southern University.

According to Rep. Dutton, the Texas Legislative Black Caucus has repeatedly fought efforts to have TSU placed into a system, and in fact, he states there was a proposal to have TSU swap locations with the University of Houston and have the UH-Downtown campus on Cleburne and TSU with a Main Street address.

Rep. Dutton believes that there has been a lot of misunderstanding surrounding the overall intent of the bill due to many individuals not understanding his intent. He tells the Forward Times that since he has been in the Texas Legislature, there have been discussions about placing TSU into a system and that HB 2383 was a part of an ongoing effort to fight against the efforts of others to eliminate TSU’s independence.

In a statement given to the Forward Times, Rep. Dutton states:

The facts first. There are 37 public colleges and universities in Texas. Only 4 are not in a university system. There are 6 university systems in Texas and for the last, at least 20 years, there have been discussions about placing TSU into a system. Secondly, these discussions, more recently, have become louder and I felt the need to be proactive in trying to secure the future of TSU, which resulted in the filing of HB 2383. The bill, as drafted, would make the law school at TSU a standalone university, but IF, and only IF, TSU was placed into a system. Then the legislature would have to debate the issue of the law school at TSU becoming a standalone university. However, the bill filing deadline was this past Friday and because no bill was filed to place TSU into a system, therefore, the need for HB 2383 was no longer necessary, so the bill was withdrawn on Monday from consideration by the Higher Education Committee. However, as Chairman of the Texas Legislative Black Caucus, I speak on their behalf when I say…we will remain vigilante at protecting the future of our university- Texas Southern University.

According to Rep. Dutton, the Texas Legislative Black Caucus has repeatedly fought efforts to have TSU placed into a system, and in fact, he states there was a proposal to have TSU swap locations with the University of Houston and have the UH-Downtown campus on Cleburne and TSU with a Main Street address.
Swap TSU with UH-D? Where?

Back