Big 12 Expansion

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
Do they go from a P5 to a G6 with this type of expansion?

As the Big 12 continues to consider expansion, four leading candidates have emerged in BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston, sources confirmed to ESPN, as formal invitations could be extended to these schools during the college football season.

A four-person subcommittee featuring two athletic directors and two university presidents from the Big 12 began meeting last week to discuss potential expansion. The conference requires eight of its current 10 members to approve candidate schools for expansion to occur.

200.gif

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
They're autonomous at least until 2025 regardless... they are written into the bylaws. That's why they're going to take teams from the AAC and not the other way around.

The Big12 will never recoup the juice they lost with OU & Texas but that doesn’t meant you close up shop and give up. Add these schools and perhaps even Memphis and rebrand yourselves.

Losing OU and Texas lost more power than what they are trying to get.
By no means does it make up for OU and Texas.....I just meant they are currently a 4 cylinder (without OU and Texas)....and that they can only go up by adding BYU and Cincy....

If they get BYU, Cinci, UCF and Houston I think they'll be straight honestly. Not what they were but not a bad league. They may go from 30 mil a year media deal to maybe... 15-20. Still well above what the AAC can offer.

I guess them raiding another conference is really different than the SEC accepting request for memberships from Texas and Oklahoma. 😁 😁 😁

I guess them raiding another conference is really different than the SEC accepting request for memberships from Texas and Oklahoma. 😁 😁 😁

It's dog eat dog right now. Even if they are probably on par with the Pac-12 football wise, they're still P5 in name with plenty of thirsty schools wanting that P5 status.

Poor Memphis lol

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Sunbelt most likely is banking on the AAC snatching some teams from CUSA and trying to steal a team or two that may not be happy like USM. Also, that's not exactly a bad league for the big 12. BBall wise they'll be multiple bids yearly. Boy if you're USF or Memphis right now you're hating life.

Remember, West Virginia lobbied for Cincinnati a while back so they can have a rival.

should’ve added Cincy, Houston, Memphis and UCF
that is what Memphis thinks but
BYU now has the largest FB and BB facilities in the conference; plus a national alumni base
df4f7fcbf545fb8226f5fc77f8bdba3f.jpg

8e1d363daf5a80d4a0bd0a7896c64801.jpg

Last edited:
If they get BYU, Cinci, UCF and Houston I think they'll be straight honestly. Not what they were but not a bad league. They may go from 30 mil a year media deal to maybe... 15-20. Still well above what the AAC can offer.
you mean in FB yes but in Hoops they are gonna be dangerous.

Back