Beyonce's Daddy Heads to PVAMU

Storm96

After stints at TSU, Rice, Cornell and Fisk

Mathew Knowles Is Here to Remind You That Destiny’s Child Did Not Break Up. They Retired.
We talked to Beyoncé’s dad about his forthcoming Destiny’s Child musical, his new role at Prairie View A&M, and 25 years in the music biz.

Tell us about your new role at Prairie View.
“I’m excited because there’s something very special about that school. When I went up there the first time—I hadn’t been in 20, 30 years—I was walking to an administrative building and the students were like, ‘Good morning! Good morning!’ I’m like, okay, they know who I am; that’s why they’re so polite. I went the second time and it was the same thing: ‘Good afternoon!’ I had one of my staff with me, and they were saying good afternoon to him. I said, you know what, it’s the culture of this university. These students are really different, in a positive way.”

What will the class entail?
“Dr. Rick Baldwin will be lecturing on sports, we’ll be sharing on events, and I’ll be lecturing on entertainment marketing. It’s going to be a unique experience for the students. First and foremost, regardless of the topic of the class, I teach critical thinking. He or she who understands critical thinking will have the best outcome. We’ll take them out of the classroom; I’m going to bring them to Houston. I want them to see the Music World Entertainment office environment, and I’ll look to bring on-board two of my best students as interns. I’ll also bring in a couple guest speakers.”

Back