BET has officially sold out

kevdawg

Skrong Bulldog Pride!
We all knew it would happen when Bob took as much money as he could from Viacom and ran (yeah, sure, he's still chairman for at least 5 years, but who cares if he's not doing anything). We knew this meant BET was going to sell the soul of Black representation and become another MTV. Now, seems as though they're well on their way to becoming just that:

Check out this article: BET Cancels Ed Gordon?s Show, ?Lead Story? and ?Teen Summit?

Just let go of the remaining voice for Blacks on television and replace it with as much booty-shakin as possible. Shameful, just shameful. :smh:

Sad.

The marketers and Viacom execs have taken over and have decided what "we" as black folks want to view and what appeals to us. Look for absolutely no substance on BET now. I'd also bet that there will be no black college football in the future.

Regards.

Yeah Black College football is next on the choping blocks.

Over the weekend on BET Jazz they showed the OAKRIDGE BOYS Chirstmas and some show with the INDIGO GIRLS!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by pbla
Yeah Black College football is next on the choping blocks.

Over the weekend on BET Jazz they showed the OAKRIDGE BOYS Chirstmas and some show with the INDIGO GIRLS!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

A strange thing happened to me on Sunday. First I was downstairs at my PC in my (very) small studio apt. (I can see the TV from the downstairs.) I timed the TV so that at 9 CST BET's Lead Story would come on at night. After all it was listed on my cable system. I missed a few things in the morning and wanted to see it at night. Well, I had the TV on ESPN's Sunday Night Football. So when 9 PM came the TV changed to BET. But instead of hearing Lead Story, I heard something that I did not immediately recognize. It was the Oak Ridge Boys. Needless to say I was surprised.

As for Ed Gordon, I think that BET has missed used him. I thought that after Tavis Smiley was fired that Bob Johnson wanted more community oriented programs on BET Tonight. Already it did not help that BET Tonight was cut to a half hour. Anyway, I saw a lot more entertainers interviewed by Ed Gordon than were interviewed by Tavis Smiley. I thought that a journalist who has interviewed world and other political leaders would get more when he came back to BET. I sure did think wrong, very wrong.

It just goes to show that

some people are in just for the money and not for the enlightenment of people period.

They get LOW marks period, even if I don't watch it no more.

Well it's sad to say, but "booty shaking" is what most of our people wanna see anyway. Just about everybody I know, watches BET strictly for the videos and comic view.

I, personally, always enjoyed BET Tonight though. I liked it when Tavis was on it too.

Originally posted by Dtown Jag

I, personally, always enjoyed BET Tonight though. I liked it when Tavis was on it too.

NPR picked up a winner with Tavis. I just wish that his show was a bit longer.

As for the BET thing, I didn't watch it when I had a TV. I've felt that it was a bloody embarrassment for years.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing Black College Football. With good ratings for the Bayou Classic, I can see NBC or someone else (Fox maybe) picking up Black College Football both to reach the "African American" demographic and to make themselves look good.

What a difference this medium could have made.

As someone stated on another forum about this subject..."this looks like the beginning of the end for BET." It is sad that the ONE element that we've come to expect to provide our communities with the kind of insight and intellectual exchange as did Lead Story, BET Tonight, and Teen Summit would be so easily dismissed, while images of gold-toothed, illiterate rappers, screaming and gyrating uncontrollably, dripping in "bling-bling" would be a daily showcase.

I don't have any numbers before me, but one can imagine that the network's viewers have dropped considerably over the last 15 years...especially in the mid-30s to mid-40s demographic. We are the ones who "grew up" so to speak with BET. If anyone had told me back in 1984-85 that it would become the platform for the most negative perpetuation of our culture that it has, I wouldn't have believed them. :(

I hate to hear this for Ed Gordon. I really like him too. But he will have NO problems finding another job. Somebody will pick him up. I thought the worst thing he did was to leave NBC to go back to BET. Hopefully better opportunities await him.

Since BET appears to be on it's way out, there will only be a hand full of HBCU's that will make it to NBC, ABC, CBS and ESPN. We all know that all 100 HBCU's won't see their perspective Universities on T.V. ever again.----- Thanks BET for selling-out your people.

Well, EF BET. I don't even watch it that much anyway. Y'all who don't have it, call you local cable operators and demand to get MBC. BET is trash now.

Re: What a difference this medium could have made.

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
I don't have any numbers before me, but one can imagine that the network's viewers have dropped considerably over the last 15 years...especially in the mid-30s to mid-40s demographic.

The problem is BET's 20 year old & younger demographic has probably increased because there's nothing but sex & degrading comedy on there. And they love it. Good time time slots were obviously being "wasted" on BET Tonight, Ed Gordon, & Teen Summit, so off they go! I wonder who they thought was watching Teen Summit anyway... their target demographic?

But you're right Alum, it's just sad how far BET has sunk. Now that it's owned by people who don't care about quality (the producers of Jackass and The Osbornes of all things), just ratings. Just so Bob can make his billions. Well y'all, he's taught us our final lesson in Black prosperity: get yours and bump anyone else!

Back