Best group to ever split up and then it's individual members flop.

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
A Tribe Called Quest.

This group should have never split up. who from this LANDMARK rap/hh group went on to establish themselves as icons in the industry? who? I know people grow and must do their own thing so on and so forth,,, but this group was so pivotal and such a trend setter. i think they busted their good thing up way too soon. it was inevitable though, i know. :shame:

EPMD
Erick Sermon is doing well, but Parrish Smith has disappeared.

The Fugees
Wyclef is consistent. Lauryn Hill got fed up with the industry and gave it all up. Pras.......???????????

Jodeci
Outside of K-Ci and Jo-Jo, the rest can give it up. Mr. Dalvin's album- :tdown:

Bone Thugz-N-Harmony
Some decent, at best, solo albums and that was the end of them.

The Temptations(David Ruffins), The Miracles(Smokey Robinson), The Supremes(Diana Ross), The Commodores(Lionel Richie)

LS Syndicate said:
EPMD

The Fugees
Wyclef is consistent. Lauryn Hill got fed up with the industry and gave it all up. Pras.......???????????

Jodeci

Bone Thugz-N-Harmony

:lmao: EPMD and the Fugees would have to rank right up there with TCQ in my realm. Good ones!! :lmao:

JagBR said:
The Temptations(David Ruffins), The Miracles(Smokey Robinson), The Supremes(Diana Ross), The Commodores(Lionel Richie)

Different concept; these were outstanding groups with at least one member (who's David Ruffins? never heard of him.) who became legends after they broke up. what about groups that spit up and then their individual members flopped?

David Ruffin was the lead singer of the Temptations. The lead singer in My Girl, Ain't To Proud to Beg, I wish it would rain, beauty's only skin deep, etc.

Although they claimed they never split up...New Edition. BBD garnered mild success. Ralph was okay. Johnny never really blew up the way he was supposed to. Bobby...well...we all know what happened to Bobby.

EnVogue. Dawn Robinson never really blew up.

Silk. Lil G didn't do anything but a chitlin circuit play. That group could sing.

Hi Five. Tony Thompson should have stayed with the boys from Waco.

Loose Ends. When Caron Wheeler left the group, neither did much on their own.

NASTYNUPE said:
Loose Ends. When Caron Wheeler left the group, neither did much on their own.

Wasn't that Jayne Eugene w/Loose Ends? You're right about their post-break up careers. Man, they had some serious grooves in the mid 80's..."Hangin on A String," "A Little Spice," and that entire "The Real Chuckeboo" album from '88 was the truth!

You are correct. I meant Jane. Caron sang with Soul II Soul. Hey...that's another group that broke up too!!! :smash:

AAMU Alum said:
Wasn't that Jayne Eugene w/Loose Ends? You're right about their post-break up careers. Man, they had some serious grooves in the mid 80's..."Hangin on A String," "A Little Spice," and that entire "The Real Chuckeboo" album from '88 was the truth!

LS Syndicate said:
EPMD

The Fugees

Jodeci

Bone Thugz-N-Harmony

Agreed...

Also Boyz II Men...:bawling:

What I wouldn't do to hear a new Zhane record.

In case you didn't know, Mint Condition is still together. They did a show here in Dallas last weekend. They have a new album dropping in October.

More breakups without makeups
Blackstreet
Guy
Groove Theory
Ceelo leaving Goodie Mob

Tony Toni Tone
Gladys Knight and the Pips....The Pips never got off the ground
Anne Nesby should have never left the Sounds of Blackness
The Jackson 5

Glad Gerald Albright went back to the Manhattans

What about Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes? Never heard from them again after Teddy Pendergrass left!

Jam Piper Jam said:
Glad Gerald Albright went back to the Manhattans

That would be Gerald Alston

Gerald Albright is a saxophonist.

Maurice White's solo career never really took off, either.

Vinita said:
That would be Gerald Alston

Gerald Albright is a saxophonist.

Maurice White's solo career never really took off, either.

yeah him!

Phillip Bailey's career never took off.

What happened to Genesis once Phil Collins left?

NASTYNUPE said:
What I wouldn't do to hear a new Zhane record.

In case you didn't know, Mint Condition is still together. They did a show here in Dallas last weekend. They have a new album dropping in October.

More breakups without makeups
Blackstreet
Guy
Groove Theory
Ceelo leaving Goodie Mob

I would pay top dollar for another Groove Theory album. good one

Also, Hi-Five. 'I Like The Way' is #1 in my high school memory book.

I forgot ol boy's name, but dude that left Cameo, because he felt the group was holding him back. He sang lead on "Sparkle". Needless to say, his career never went anywhere.

NN, come on dog, you know before Bobby got with Whitney, he was the man. He could do no wrong, he definitely had the more successful solo career of any of the original NE singers, before drugs, and Whitney stepped in. I can't count Johnny Gill, because he was a soloist before he joined NE.

I also have to add LTD to list. Granted the lead singer didn't leave, but he was kicked out, and the rest is history. Jeffrey Osbourne went on to have a successful solo career, while LTD.....was....well.

Dexter, the guy who used to be a part of Prince's Revolution. That dude should've stayed in the background.

The original Spinderella from Salt N Pepa. What was chick thinking about? Even though she was a DJ, how many people were exactly checking for a female DJ back then?

Finally, Grand Puba leaving Brand Nubian. Though I enjoyed both of Puba's solo projects, his solo career never took off quite like he thought it would. Dayum shame too, that brother was ahead of his time.

Oh, how could I forget? Dr. Ice leaving UTFO. Dummy.

NICE

Jam Piper Jam said:
Phillip Bailey's career never took off.

What happened to Genesis once Phil Collins left?

Actually Phillip Bailey did have a lot of success on the Gospel recording side of the business.

Genesis did not recover from their 2nd lead singer leaving the group the way they did when their 1st lead singer (Peter Gabriel) left. Phil Collins was the drummer of the band and became the lead singer at that time. They did replace him but they didn't have the magic like before.

Back