Best Funk Band

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
How would your rank the following bands/groups from the era from best to not the very best:

Cameo, Con Funk Shun, EW&F, The Gap Band, Fat Back, The Commadores, or any others you like from the era

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
TSU/BAMA said:
I would rank Earth Wind and Fire as my #1. My #2 would be Kool and the Gang.

mine is a tie for #1, Cameo and Con Funk Shun ("Happy Face" by CFS is just an an alltime classic that I used to wish an HBCU band would play,,, being as how I'm a retired trumpet player and all,,, :hat: i mean,, when I first heard "Happy Face" on the radio,,, and back then it was, I think either WBLX FM Mobile or WJIZ FM Albany GA,,, I went crazy!!!! THAT WAS DA JAM!!!!! UUUH,, but at the same time,,, Cameo countered with SOOOOOO many classics like "Knights by Knight" and "Keep It Hot" it woe even funny! these mugz had tons of hits, esp during the scating rink era!) and #3 would be,,,,, uuuuuug!!!! a tie between Shalamar, Lakeside and the Gap Band,, but Brass Construction has some epic "one hit wonders".

I know this is a ridiculous question for 90% of the forum, but does anyone remember, during the beginning of the rap era, an artists named Count Kool Out? He was out around the same time as Sugar Hill Gang and "Rapper's Delight". Boy we used to skate our SSA off on this song!!!!

What about the Brothers Johnson and the Ohio Players (owww).
EWF if my favorite, but I can't rank the rest. I'd just get lost in the funk.

Number One:
Earth Wind and Fire
That's one of the most phenominal band I've heard....They are simply AMAZING!!
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Bartram said:
How would your rank the following bands/groups from the era from best to not the very best:

Cameo, Con Funk Shun, EW&F, The Gap Band, Fat Back, The Commadores, or any others you like from the era
Only 1 funk band in this group and that's Cameo.

FUNK BANDS
Parliament Funkadelic
Bootsy Collins and The RubberBand
Mandrill
James Brown
Rick James
Brother's Johnson
Graham Central Station
SlY & The Family Stone
Roger Troutman and ZAPP

And to pick one out of that group as the best is really hard. But I would have to go with PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC.

Cameo

Zapp f/ Roger Troutman

Parliament/Funkadelic/George Clinton

Bootsy Collins Rubber Band

pbla said:
FUNK BANDS
Parliament Funkadelic
Mandrill
James Brown
Rick James
Brother's Johnson
Graham Central Station
SlY & The Family Stone
Roger Troutman and ZAPP

Thank you.

Id put ConFunkShun in there, but my favorite Funk band is CAMEO and Parliment.

I was playing "Knee Deep" the other day.

All ya'll have posted some good bands....

I LOVE THE SOUND OF A GOOD FUNK BAND LIVE!! :jump:

My Favorite:

Isley Bros. (Love those guitars!; yall ever heard climbling up the ladder?)
James Brown & the JB'S
Brothers Johnson
Graham Central Station
Sly & The Family Stone
Roger Troutman and ZAPP
Earth, Wind & Fire
Brick
Confunctions

STEVE HIGHTOWER AND THE HIGH TOPS!!!!!! LOL LOL
Come man you know that best **** band in the world is P-FUNK

Speaking of bands, there once was a "heavy metal" band called "Living Colors" or "In Living Color" or something like that, I don't quite remember. Their members were all black males and they all wore dredlocks. Does anyone know who I am talking about? Does the band still exist? What ever happened to them?

Now mind you, I don't like "heavy metal" music, but this band sounded pretty good.

pbla said:
Only 1 funk band in this group and that's Cameo.

FUNK BANDS
Parliament Funkadelic
Mandrill
James Brown
Rick James
Brother's Johnson
Graham Central Station
SlY & The Family Stone
Roger Troutman and ZAPP

And to pick one out of that group as the best is really hard. But I would have to go with PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC.

ok, ok,,, funk/R&B or whatever you'd call them. :teleport:

sincerely, the split hair

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
TSU/BAMA said:
Speaking of bands, there once was a "heavy metal" band called "Living Colors" or "In Living Color" or something like that, I don't quite remember. Their members were all black males and they all wore dredlocks. Does anyone know who I am talking about? Does the band still exist? What ever happened to them?

Now mind you, I don't like "heavy metal" music, but this band sounded pretty good.

I seem to recall that group but I can't recall their hits. Some good modern day approximations of funk/R&B bands are:
Black Eyed Peas
,, and another one or two of that ilk.

and as for the bands, what about Midnight Star, Shalamar and The Whispers? :nod2:

When it comes to PURE, UNCUT FUNK!!!!!

1. Parliament/Funkadelic
2. James Brown (in '70 w/Bootsey)
3. Ohio Players
4. Lakeside
5. Cameo
6. Rick James (and the Stone City Band)
7. Roger Troutman and ZAPP
8. WAR
9. Brothers Johnson
10. Sun
11. Brass Construction
12. LTD
13. Commodores
14. Isley Brothers
15. Brick
16. Heatwave
17. Rufus f/Chaka Khan
18. Earth, Wind and Fire
19. SOS Band
20. ConFunkShun

:headphone

Taylor-Made'90 said:

1. Parliament/Funkadelic
2. James Brown (in '70 w/Bootsey)
3. Ohio Players
4. Lakeside
5. Cameo
6. Rick James (and the Stone City Band)
7. Roger Troutman and ZAPP
8. WAR
9. Brothers Johnson
10. Sun
11. Brass Construction
12. LTD
13. Commodores
14. Isley Brothers
15. Brick
16. Heatwave
17. Rufus f/Chaka Khan
18. Earth, Wind and Fire
19. SOS Band
20. ConFunkShun

:spin: man, i had to save that list! thanks!!

Taylor-Made'90 said:
18. Earth, Wind and Fire

You disappoint me. I thought I taught you better.

EWF could be funky but never funk- even with Verdine doing his thing. It was and will be for the forseeable future a JAZZ band that sings.

TSU/BAMA said:

I remember those guys they were pretty good! Also there was a Memphis Black rock group called "XAVION". They were tough. There was also a Black rock group from Los Angeles named "FISHBONE".They were good also.

dacontinent said:
You disappoint me. I thought I taught you better.

EWF could be funky but never funk- even with Verdine doing his thing. It was and will be for the forseeable future a JAZZ band that sings.

~~~slapping Phil around~~~~

How can you say that EWF wasn't funky??? Most of their cuts were loaded with heavy doses of rhythm guitar and electric piano..... Not to mention the 'wah-wah' box..... Now, they weren't considered a FUNK band, but they were FUNKY.......

That's why I put 'em at the bottom of the list, along with the SOS Band and Confunkshun......

:mrt:

Taylor-Made'90 said:
~~~slapping Phil around~~~~

How can you say that EWF wasn't funky??? Most of their cuts were loaded with heavy doses of rhythm guitar and electric piano..... Not to mention the 'wah-wah' box..... Now, they weren't considered a FUNK band, but they were FUNKY.......

That's why I put 'em at the bottom of the list, along with the SOS Band and Confunkshun......

:mrt:

See...there you go spoutin' off without reading my post well. You slappin' me around but you are agreeing with me.

Any band with Verdine White layin' bass can be funky - jess lyak I said - but EWF was not Da FUNK. They were/are much more and just didn't belong in the list at all. I knew what you were trying to say, but ya just shouldn't have brought up EWF in this category at all.

Can we make up now? :heart:

northern tiger said:
Black Byrds and Average White Band.

Come on now.....come on.....I mean really. Granted these guys were good but they are light years away from funk.

Teena Marie was funkier than my frats from D.C. and the AWB.

Your choice of SLAVE was excellent now that was funk.

Back