Best African-American movie EVER?

There are simply too many movies to name to have a "best ever" movie.

I think these are on top though in no particular order.

Dramas

Color Purple
A Soldier's Story
Miss Ever Boys
Tuskegee Airmen
Glory (not really sure if that would be an African American movie)
Roots
Soul Food
Boys In The Hood
Antoine Fisher
Malcom X
Jo Jo Dancer

Comedies

Coming to America (I recently bought the DVD)
Friday
Harlem Nights
Life

Justin said:
Frat, that movie gets the tear jerker of all time award.

I have to catch myself sometimes when I watch A.Fisher.

That is a DEEEP @zz story.

Carmen Jones
Sounder
Lillies of the Field (movie with Sidney Poitier - please help me with correct title)

I know in this time of political correctness among us educated negroes I should'nt say The Mack or Foxy Brown, but I love these movies.

Cry Freedom (This movie made Denzel a star)
A Raisin In The Sun (Sidney Poitier was great)
The Learning Tree (Somebody get Kirkey!)
Boyz N Da Hood (What about me?)
Hollywood Shuffle (Everybody love ho cakes)
A Soldier's Story (Who gave you, the right to judge?)
Color Purple (Harpo come out here, and meet yo new mammy)
Lamumba (I'm your friend)
Boomerang (I looked at her feet, and it was Hammertime)
Ms. Jane Pittman (Cicely Tyson, nuff said)
A Lady Sings The Blues (You just gon let my hand fall off)
The Wiz (Ease on down the road)

NICE

Killer Bees said:
There are simply too many movies to name to have a "best ever" movie.

Individually, Killer Bees, I can see your point. No one person can state what the "best ever" is of practically anything.

However, since this is a survey (see my post), a general consensus of movie lovin' folks can be drawn from their results to get the "best ever" from the group. :jump:

The survey results back me up. :tup:

Good list of your favorites, tho.

LadyJag said:
:tup:

and
Love Jones and lately Brown Sugar

You cool with me. I was watching Love Jones last night. If you are a woman who doesn't like that movie, STAY DA H@LL AWAY FROM ME!!!!!!!!!!! NO spontaeity havin' heifer!!!!! Fuddy Duddy azz.

Does anybody remember the Gordon Parks movie The Learning Tree? that was an interesting piece...

Wild Style (The 1st to feature hip-hop music on celluloid)
The Wood
Malcolm X
'Mo Better Blues
Sounder
Cooley High

Those are just a few that I consider as classic material...I can't give props to the blaxploitation films too tough because they weren't taken serioiusly enough to be considered relevant. Even though I liked watching the Foxy Brown, Coffy, Shaft, and Superfly features just to name a few, they were not top notch. Final thought...if anybody were to consider Sweet Sweetback's Baaadasss Song as great, they need their head examined.

I'm surprised nobody listed "Jungle Fever".

That crackhouse scene with all elements of society congregating there was the greatest paradox I've ever seen illustrated in a movie: Racial hangups still dominate pretty much every facet of this society, yet colorblind crack is a common denominator killing and/or possibily affecting us all.

I concur with Cooley High, Imitation of Life, A Soldier's Story, Jane Pittman. Let's Do it Again, Boomerang, and Coming To America go in a different category for me, but they were still great.

Regards.

Ya know, I should've asked, earlier. Still, why did you pick these movies? What elements in them touch your spirit like no other?

xugrad92 said:
Ya know, I should've asked, earlier. Still, why did you pick these movies? What elements in them touch your spirit like no other?

In my opinion, I think movies like the Color Purple, A Soldier's Story, etc have very strong plot lines. It has been a while since I seen an orginal work movie on Blacks that actually had left a mark on film. Most movies on Blacks today are nothing more than relationship comedies or outragious comedies. This is not to say I don't enjoy some of these films, but when will we see another film about Blacks that is on the same scale or level as the Color Purple?

BulldogM.Ed.23 said:
Let's Do it Again (with Bill Cosby, Sidney Poiter, Jimmy Walker, John Amos) and Car Wash needs to be added to the List. Anyways my picks:

Shaft (1971)
Uptown Saturday Night
School Daze
New Jack City
Soul Food

In order to give my complete list, I will have to give it some thought. However, these movies would be on my list.

Let me add Hollywood Shuffle, The Five Heartbeats, Rosewood, and Jungle Fever.

Here are my faves and why I love them:

Soul Food: Besides just loving an all star cast of lookers, I just love the whole family element. I will watch it everytime it is on a screen. Also, I love my grandmother's cooking so much and all the cooking scenes just hit so close to home!

Brown Sugar: I don't know who wrote this movie but I think it was a job well done! I think I went to the movies twice to see it because it was so good the way the writer intertwined their love for hip-hop with their love for each other. I can't think of the correct grammatical term for it (simile, metaphor, ...etc.) I'll just say the "irony" was immaculate. The way two stories were told as one. And I have a to-die-for love for old school hip hop anyway. Mannnnnnn...

School Daze: Just like it for no reason. I wasn't quite out of high school yet but it was my first glimpse of black college life....outside of A Different World.

Imitation of Life: The movie used to make me angry because I had so much compassion for the mother but oddly, this is weird, I used to couldn't wait for the funeral part at the end JUST to see Mahalia Jackson sing 'Soon I will be done...'. I think I didn't start looking forward to that part until later years when BET started advertising that gospel album in the mid-80s that featured that song, lol. (I'm wondering if that was the commercial that ended with 'who in the h*ell left the gate open???...or Come on, in the room. LOL)

Back