Bernice King Calls For Waffle House Boycott

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I boycotted this place years ago.
Back when I was married and a newlywed, my then wife and I had stopped at a Waffle House not to far from where we live. The place had a wait list and was crowed. We were one of three black couples in the entire place.
After being seated we had waited five minutes before a server even came to our table and took our drink order, it took ten minutes to get our drinks and then after waiting 20 minutes and watching white table after white table being seated and getting prompt service and never seeing our server again, I had a different server call over the manager and told him what was going on and that we were leaving. He tried to get us to stay, but I told him we had already wasted enough time, he said not to worry about paying for the drinks, to which I said "ok" with the thought in my head that I didn't plan on offering to pay for them since it nothing but pop. My wife at the time actually just wanted to get up and just leave, but I told her we had to let the manager know, so no one thinks we were dining and dashing, regardless of the fact that we never ordered any food. So there is my story and my 14 year boycott of that place, besides Waffle House always seem dirty to me.

Wayyyyyyyyy ahead of you. When I was gigging back in the day we use to wear them out for breakfast.

I have only eaten at 2 Waffle Houses in my life. One was in Pearland, Tx and about 2 weeks ago, I ate at one in Humble, Tx. Both establishments were operated by Black people (who actually owns the businesses, I don't know). I was treated very well in both Waffle Houses. The Black lady that ran the Waffle House in Humble went out of her way to be nice to me and the other customers in her establishment (at the time only Black people were eating there).

What is an interesting dynamic is there are lot of Waffle Houses in large black neighborhoods in large metropolitan areas that employ mostly black people. I know of 5 Waffle Houses within 5-7 minutes radius from my house in different directions. I don't frequent the place but it will be interesting to see how this works out. Many folks that go to Waffle Houses in this area don't come across as being the most socially conscience people in the world.....IJS.

What is an interesting dynamic is there are lot of Waffle Houses in large black neighborhoods in large metropolitan areas that employ mostly black people. I know of 5 Waffle Houses within 5-7 minutes radius from my house in different directions. I don't frequent the place but it will be interesting to see how this works out. Many folks that go to Waffle Houses in this area don't come across as being the most socially conscience people in the world.....IJS.
It must be a mainly Southern thing, because I never heard of Waffle House until I came to Alabama. I can't think of one Waffle House anywhere in Chicago, they might be in the suburbs.

It must be a mainly Southern thing, because I never heard of Waffle House until I came to Alabama. I can't think of one Waffle House anywhere in Chicago, they might be in the suburbs.

There are a bunch of Waffle House restaurants in Indiana and down state Illinois.

Back