'Benson' star Robert Guillaume dead at 89

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
750x422

Robert Guillaume, who rose from squalid beginnings in St. Louis slums to become a star in stage musicals and win Emmy Awards for his portrayal of the sharp-tongued butler in the TV sitcoms "Soap" and "Benson," has died at age 89.Guillaume died at home Tuesday in Los Angeles, according to his widow, Donna Brown Guillaume. He had been battling prostate cancer, she told The Associated Press.

So listening to MSNBC this morning, some anchorwoman, commented that Robert Guillaume was know for his role on The Jeffersons; so I did a search and he was on the show for a few episodes.
The anchorwoman did not mention anything about Soap or Benson.
On a side note, I heard someone comment yesterday that Robert Guillaume character, Benson went from butler to governor.

I loved his scene in "Lean On Me" where he yells that he is the H.N.I.C. then tells Joe Clark (Morgan Freeman), "Let's get something to eat."

That scene is my all time favorite. I lost count a long time ago of how many times I've watched it, but I do remember looking at it again just this past week.

That scene is my all time favorite. I lost count a long time ago of how many times I've watched it, but I do remember looking at it again just this past week.
Ok so I have to watch this movie this weekend. I loved that scene.
But now the sad reality is this movie is almost 30yrs old and what was discussed in the scene still rings true today.

Last edited:
Ok so I have to watch this movie this weekend. I loved that scene.
But now the sad reality is this movie is almost 30yrs old and what was discuss in that scene still rings true today.

Really sad isn't it? The endurance/permanency of systemic racism in this country is unparalleled.

Back