Be careful when recording a movie at the theatre

buckwheat

California movie pirate sent to jail
Monday, May 10, 2004 Posted: 10:52 AM EDT (1452 GMT)

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) -- In the first sentencing under California's new anti-camcording law, a 34-year-old Los Angeles-area man has been sent to jail for 42 days, the Motion Picture Assn. of America said Friday.

Ruben Moreno, 34, was also given three years' probation and ordered to forfeit his camcorder during sentencing at Los Angeles Superior Court on May 3.

Moreno was caught taping "The Alamo" at the Pacific Winnetka Theatre in Los Angeles on April 12 when a projectionist noticed the light from his video camera and the sighting was confirmed through night vision goggles.

The law prohibiting such digital piracy was enacted January 1.

buckwheat1911 said:

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) -- In the first sentencing under California's new anti-camcording law, a 34-year-old Los Angeles-area man has been sent to jail for 42 days, the Motion Picture Assn. of America said Friday.

Ruben Moreno, 34, was also given three years' probation and ordered to forfeit his camcorder during sentencing at Los Angeles Superior Court on May 3.

Moreno was caught taping "The Alamo" at the Pacific Winnetka Theatre in Los Angeles on April 12 when a projectionist noticed the light from his video camera and the sighting was confirmed through night vision goggles.

:lmao: :lmao:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I just watched Soul Plane at a SNEAK PREVIEW. I guess they film those movies and then make copies to sell.

buckwheat1911 said:

The projectionist had night vision goggles? :lol:

'Passion of Christ' alleged bootlegger's top seller

10:36 PM CDT on Friday, May 7, 2004

By Jeff Mcshan / 11 News

Houston police say 21-year-old Kristopher Carrier was selling DVDs right out of the back of his four-door Dodge Ram pickup, High quality DVD movies that are currently box office hits.

It usually takes weeks, if not months before the current hits reach video stores. And even when they do officially come out on DVD, they?re not cheap. They can run anywhere from $15 to $25 bucks a piece.

But police say Carrier was breaking the law.

?Just in the last six months we?ve been getting calls from movie industries where they are downloading movies, as they are currently in the theater or before they come out," said Sgt. Doug Osterberg. "Before it was counterfeiting on movies that had been out for a couple of years. But now we?re getting movies that aren?t even out yet that they are selling on the streets.?

For example, the movie "Troy" starring Brad Pitt won?t be released to theaters until next Friday.

But Sgt. Osterberg, with HPD?s major offenders division, says the suspect told them he could get it to them before then.

?He goes all over town selling these. A lot of money made from selling these,? said Sgt. Osterberg.

Shortly before 11 News arrived on the scene, an HPD undercover officer allegedly purchased several movies from carrier for $10 dollars a piece, and apparently his biggest seller was "The Passion of the Christ."

The movie industry tells HPD that that particular film is being illegally sold all over the country.

Carrier is the first one in Houston whose been arrested for this kind of crime. He?s been charged with a third-degree felony.

Now who am I going to get my DVD's from for $10.

I was in my barber ship 4 to 6 weeks ago and they had soul plane going on the DVD. It was a bad copy however. Then they showed passion of the Chist. Very good copy.

KCPVPanther

There is something about buying a booleg copy of The Passion of Christ that doesn't seem right. :look:

amethyst08 said:
There is something about buying a booleg copy of The Passion of Christ that doesn't seem right. :look:

Thats the exact same thing I was thinking. I mean, thats like buying a stolen Bible or something.

Back