BCSG 360 and Black College Nines Team Up to Create Baseball’s First Black College World Series

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
This is for small schools in the D2 and NAIA divisions.

Black-College-World-Series-1.jpg

1617772126878.png

The particulars…
Who: NCAA Division II and NAIA Baseball Programs
What: Inaugural Black College (Small School Division) World Series
When: April 28 – May 1, 2021
Where: Riverwalk Stadium (home of the Tampa Bay Rays Double-A affiliate Montgomery Biscuits)200 Coosa Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104
Format: Two divisions (one division of four NCAA Division II teams/one division of four NAIA teams) with each division playing a double-elimination format and winners of each division face off in a one-game playoff to determine a champion.

Events:
Black College World Series Press Conference (Virtual)
Opening Pitch Reception/Luncheon TBA
The HBCU Experience (Virtual)
Black College World Series – Riverwalk Stadium

More on ticket information to come.

blackcollegenines.com/bcsg-360-and-black-college-nines-team-up-to-create-baseballs-first-black-college-world-series/

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I like the post season opportunity created by the concept, but I wish they would have found a way include the SWAC & MEAC. Hopefully, that is the plan in the coming years. Multiple post season opportunities are a net plus for black collegiate baseball players no matter what collegiate level they're playing on. We're talking about baseball here, where height and weight considerations take a back seat to a player's skill set and baseball acumen.

Last edited:
I really Like this wish it was in all sports

We (Valley) did a HBCU softball tournament on campus last year (that was done right before the COVID cancellation of the Spring 2020 season) hosting FAMU, TSU and UAPB

I simply don't know why it can't be done in football, basketball or even track and field. We need to get A&T and ASU in the same meet along with other HBCUs and have them go head and head (A&T is proving that they aren't just HBCU good but legitimately top 5 track and field program good)

Was interested to see how this impacts postseason play...

I checked Xavier's schedule and this falls smack dab between end of regular season and their association of Independents tournament. Does not impact NAIA tournament.

The SIAC is not contesting a playoff/conference tournament this year as they waived their spring season providing teams to do what they want. Looks like the SIAC did their conference tournament that first week of May in '19 so this wouldn't conflict.

What happens next year, particularly for the D2 schools? My apologies if I missed this note elsewhere.

Looks like they had a few squads drop out and there's a single bracket.

Best of luck to Xavier! They are having a helluva first year, drawing the top seed in this tournament! They do a great job with that program in NOLA. Really wish they would move NCAA Division II to the SIAC. They already compete with and regularly beat those squads.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
We (Valley) did a HBCU softball tournament on campus last year (that was done right before the COVID cancellation of the Spring 2020 season) hosting FAMU, TSU and UAPB

I simply don't know why it can't be done in football, basketball or even track and field. We need to get A&T and ASU in the same meet along with other HBCUs and have them go head and head (A&T is proving that they aren't just HBCU good but legitimately top 5 track and field program good)

It aint hard to do it but honestly, A&T is much better than ASU. ASU has been SWAC good but A&T has bumped it up to national good as the telling sign is how many are at regionals and NCAA Championships on a consistent basis or are ranked nationally.

A&T hosing junior Olympics years ago helped get things started as they got a jump on those hidden gems and now they can get best of the best. It also helped the Coach's son was an elite runner.

Oddly enough though, our track teams in the SWAC was at A&T's level in the 80s - TSU damn near won the NCAA women's title in the 1980s - finished 3rd or so

Man. I saw Xavier twice this year, and it’s unbelievable how good they are in their first year. Props to Former Selma Monster Coach Holloway! The man is a great coach who has been underrated for a very long time! I think he is the next SWAC Coach of the Year if he gets called up.

He won't be there much longer. If this BCWS continues winning coaches at that level will get the exposure needed to elevate their careers.

Xavier wins in every sport they contest. Softball and baseball are both new this year. Softball isn’t having same success as baseball, but Xavier is pretty much ranked in all sports they compete in. I don’t recall SWAC coaches paying much attention to XULA coaches previously so what’s going to change?

Xavier wins in every sport they contest. Softball and baseball are both new this year. Softball isn’t having same success as baseball, but Xavier is pretty much ranked in all sports they compete in. I don’t recall SWAC coaches paying much attention to XULA coaches previously so what’s going to change?

In some cases they have it easier at XU in terms of recruiting than trying to go somewhere in the SWAC.

They can offer a strong academic reputation and get a decent pool of black talent. They are top dog in a league they can dominate.

The last few NAIA guys who went up - especially in basketball - have failed cause they’re getting the bad D-1 jobs.

Theyre in a crossroads - the top hbcu programs will attract more interest from good candidates but the bad ones will have little interest but the best chance for them to move up

Back