Bayou Classic in Houston...............Again???????

WalkWitaPanther

PVAMU c/o 2001
I heard today from someone that the Bayou Classic will be back in Houston because they had to sign a two year contract. Does anyone know if this is true?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
usa today said:
i hope i's not in Houston again, it has to go back to New Orleans, Please God!
:nod: :nod: Those food prices were eating people pockets up!!! :smh: If it doesn't go back to New Orleans he!! a 2 year contract play it in Louisiana! :nod: :nod: ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS D@MN KATRINA! :smh:

WalkWitaPanther said:
I heard today from someone that the Bayou Classic will be back in Houston because they had to sign a two year contract. Does anyone know if this is true?
My wife,MrsOnlySU is on the SU-BC committee..Plans are in the works for the 504...:nod2:

I hope they make a decision soon! I was about to book my room last week but didn't 'cause we're waiting on our friends to make a decision.

WalkWitaPanther said:

The BC is back in New Orleans. The 2nd year in the 2 year Houston contract was "tentative" based on the status of New Orleans.

cat daddy said:
The website has the location, TBD.

And the front page of the website has change the location from TBA to New Orleans La.

That along with the fact that there have been several annoucment on local TV and radio that game will be played in New Orleans not to mention this..

bluedog said:
Bayou Classic Could Tee It Up Again At Reliant Stadium

Nov 29, 2005 10:13 AM CST

HOUSTON (AP) - If the Superdome has not reopened by this time in 2006, the Bayou Classic will be returning to Reliant Stadium in Houston.

The contract signed between Grambling State, Southern and Houston officials is for two years, provided the game canNOT be played in New Orleans next season.

That is in contrast with plans for the Sugar Bowl, which would play its game at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge next year while still having all other activities in New Orleans.

That alternative had been considered for the Bayou Classic as well.

The president of the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau says having the Classic there meant ten-thousand hotel rooms being occupied on a weekend in which they would probably be empty.

Southern athletic director Greg LaFleur says that he knows of no deadline to make the decision but he expects it to be no later than May.

....now clearly if there's a change it has nothing to do with the contract.

bluedog said:
....now clearly if there's a change it has nothing to do with the contract.

Do you think the City of New Orleans is ready to handle that type of crowd?

Hotel rooms, Police/Security, Traffic/Crowds......

That would be my question to having it there, but they may just have to go with it and do whatever they can.

I was kinda hoping that it would be back in Houston and returning to New Orleans in 07. There's no sense of rushing things when New Orleans clearly isn't ready to host an event of this caliber yet.

Fiyah said:

That would be my question to having it there, but they may just have to go with it and do whatever they can.

My question as well. The problem I have is that I feel they are rushing it. Right now people are thinking with emotion and not common sense.

Fiyah said:

I'm really not sure about that. Everything in N.O. closes at 12/2am now and that can be a big turnoff for allot of folks whereas in Houston it's no big deal because that what people expect.

The NFL has said that the Saints will be playing in the Superdome so as far as traffic control and security you'd think that they have thoroughly figure all that out.

As I said, if there's a change it has nothing to do with the contract that was signed.

I was in N.O. memorial day weekend and the stuff downtown was not closed early. Now, not everything was open late, but a good bit of places were.

As far as hotels, I wouldn't know, but they did have mardi gras and jazz fest there this year.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
NASTYNUPE said:
I was kinda hoping that it would be back in Houston and returning to New Orleans in 07. There's no sense of rushing things when New Orleans clearly isn't ready to host an event of this caliber yet.

Mardi Gras did just great in the spring, the Sugarbowl is Back.

From some of your comments it's clear you have a view because you are in the area. I've seen NOLA twice and the parts I saw scared the mess out of me. Yet if what you all are saying is correct then it's cool. I just don't want the city to rush things.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
From some of your comments it's clear you have a view because you are in the area. I've seen NOLA twice and the parts I saw scared the mess out of me. Yet if what you all are saying is correct then it's cool. I just don't want the city to rush things.

The residential areas look terrible still. Downtown looks bad but not too bad.

New Orleans will be OKAY. Many posts here are just speculation. The spots most "out of towners" for the bayou classic are ok. A lot of the spots devistated were places out of towners didn't go anyway.

I was in New Orleans last weekend and memorial day. The places where I went didn't close at 2:00. The club scene was off the meters.

There are limited hotel rooms in the downtown area still.

If the game is in Houston, I'm flying. I refuse to be in that traffic snarl again. Ever.

man if its in houston, i am staying in baton rouge!! Houston can't handle the bayou classic again, thanks houston, but no thanks!!

PVJAGUAR said:
Houston can't handle the bayou classic again, thanks houston, but no thanks!!

Houston can't handle the Bayou Classic? :confused:

I guess the NFL (SuperBowl), NBA (All-Star game), MLB (All-Star Game) is too-small time versus the BC. :rolleyes:

C-LeB28 said:
Houston can't handle the Bayou Classic? :confused:

I guess the NFL (SuperBowl), NBA (All-Star game), MLB (All-Star Game) is too-small time versus the BC. :rolleyes:

C-Leb when will you learn. To some Southern folks those games you named above are small time compared to the Bayou Classic.

Back