Grambling 3:00pm

Miss Valley St
Jackson St 5:30pm

Alabama St
Prairie View 5:30pm

Alabama A&M
Texas Southern 5:30pm

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Fiyah, I know you are probably at the game now - but can you please tell me the name of the comedy team calling you guys games on the radio :D

They are having a ball and its kinda good to hear such enthusiam - I have no problem with "homers" - but they need to slow down just a tad so a bruh can understand :jump:

Kenn Rashad, I noticed that there is never a link for the GSU games. I guess the SID is up to his old tricks again (LOL).

Then again, maybe ole Fiyah is being biased against the GMen...dayum Texicans!

Women

Southern 70
Alcorn St 79
F

AR Pine Bluff 50
Grambling 88
F

Miss Valley St 46
Jackson St 56
F

Alabama St 52
Prairie View 50
F

Alabama A&M 57
Texas Southern 62
F

Men

Southern 87
Alcorn St 93
F

Ark- Pine Bluff 63
Grambling 99
F

Miss Valley St 73
Jackson St 71
F

Alabama St 57
Prairie View 63
F

Alabama A&M 67
Texas Southern 72
F OT

Men

JSU 71 - MVSU 73

ALaSt. 57 - PVU 63

GSU 99 - UAPB 63

SU 87 - ASU 93

AAMU 67 - TSU 72

Women

ALaSt. 52 - PVU 50

MVSU 46 - JSU 56

AAMU 57 - TSU 62

GSU 88 - UAPB 50

SU 70 - ALC 79

It appears that the only road win for the SWAC men teams came in the JSU/MVSU game. Whereas the Lady Hornets were the only road victor on the women side. It just goes to show you its tough to win on the road in this conference. The teams with the most road wins will probably win the regular season conference crowns.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Kenn Rashad, I noticed that there is never a link for the GSU games. I guess the SID is up to his old tricks again (LOL).

Then again, maybe ole Fiyah is being biased against the GMen...dayum Texicans!

No biased on my part, they don't a have radio link for basketball. If you know otherwise let me know. Tx Southern don't simulcast their radio broadcast anymore either.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Prairie View slams Alabama St

By MEGAN MANFUL
L
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Malachi Thurston sat on the Prairie View A&M bench trying to forget about the three personal fouls he picked up in the first five minutes of the game.

For 15 minutes, he sat and thought about them as the rest of his teammates battled with Alabama State. As his teammates went cold toward the end of the half, Thurston wanted back in but he was forced to wait until the second half.

The waiting paid off as Thurston went on to lead the Panthers over Alabama State, 63-57, in a crucial conference matchup on Saturday night at the Baby Dome. Alabama State (10-8 overall, 7-1 SWAC) suffered its first conference loss.

Thurston scored 19 points and picked up six rebounds in the victory, which moved Prairie View into a three-way tie for first place in the Southwestern Athletic Conference with Texas Southern and Alabama State.

The victory also gave the Panthers an 8-8 overall record, finally reaching .500 after a 1-7 start to the season. Prairie View has not finished with an overall record above .500 in 42 seasons.

"This is definitely a huge victory for us," Thurston said. "One of our number one goals was to stay above .500, win the SWAC and get into the NCAA Tournament. We still have a long way to go for that. We still have to put in our time in the weight room and practice and in the classroom. We just have to put our time in and hopefully everything will pay off."

The Panthers are back in first place for the first time since they suffered an 87-68 loss to Mississippi Valley State on Jan. 25. The three-way tie will be broken this week, however, as TSU faces Alabama State on Monday and Prairie View and TSU face off Saturday night in Houston.

Prairie View coach Jerome Francis Jr., who calls his team a "working man's program," knows how important it is for his team to keep its composure in the upcoming weeks.

"The league is top heavy this year," Francis said. "We can't wait for anyone to pack our lunch for us."

Prairie View scored 11 unanswered points to start the game, taking an 11-2 lead. They never surrendered it the rest of the game. There were cold spells, however, especially in the first half.

The Panthers hit only one field goal in the final eight minutes of the first half. But the man-to-man defense they threw at Alabama State kept the Hornets from capitalizing on the Panthers poor shooting. Prairie View went into halftime with a 31-22 lead.

It was the shooting struggle of his teammates that forced Thurston to try to forget about his first half woes and start new.

"When I went into the locker room at halftime my mindset was on just coming out aggressive in the second half and establishing myself just like I would at the beginning of any game," Thurston said.

It worked as Thurston scored 15 of his 19 points in the second half, and didn't pick up any fouls in 20 minutes of play. Alabama State had no answer, and was never cut its deficit to less than six points. The Hornets were led by guard Malcolm Campbell with 19 points.

The Panthers will try to retain first place on Monday night when they host Alabama A&M.

"Coach was antsy all week in practice," said Prairie View senior Gregory Burks, who finished with 11 points. "We just wanted to come out and be enthusiastic and play Panther basketball

TSU survives Alabama A&M scare

By W.H. STICKNEY JR.

Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Texas Southern came away with a 72-67 overtime victory over Alabama A&M on Saturday at the Health & PE Arena that they probably would like to forget.

They don't like to remember their shoddy free-throw shooting, the manner in which they turned the ball over with regularity and trouble trying to solve the zone defenses and intermittent man-to-man of the Bulldogs.

There is no way, though, they'll let escape from their minds the fact that the triumph was enough to gain them a share of first place in the Southwestern Athletic Conference with Prairie View A&M and Alabama State, a 72-57 loser at Prairie View on Saturday night.

"It was an ugly win, but a determined win," said Ra'Kim Hollis, the Southwestern Athletic Conference's leading scorer who overcame 5-for-16 shooting (2-for-7 from behind the three-point arc) to score 18 points with eight rebounds.

"We probably didn't beat them in any (statistical category)," said Hollis. "Probably, it was the Lord."

A few prayers certainly didn't hurt. Coach Ronnie Courtney said later that starting forward Lionel Willis was injured Friday in a minor car accident. He spent the night dressed in street clothes sitting on the bench.

Late in the second period, starting forward Jerome Bell suffered leg cramps and was unavailable during the five-minute overtime.

Hollis, too, suffered a leg injury during the middle of the overtime but toughed it out over the final 2:57.

Those were huge obstacles for the Tigers (11-6, 7-1) to overcome. But in the overtime, Allen Lovett, quiet most of the night, came up big.

And senior Akil Butler, Bell's replacement, nailed a huge three-pointer, made one of two free throws and came up with two defensive rebounds to help the Tigers wheel into the victory circle.

They now await the arrival of Alabama State, which visits the Health & PE Arena on Monday night in a shootout for first place.

Three-point ace Anthony Hayes of A&M led all scorers Saturday night with 24 points. His running mate out on the perimeter, Obie Trotter, threw in 10 points.

Though the Bulldogs twice overcame 11-point deficits in regulation and two times fought back from 10 points down, they could muster only five well-spaced points in the overtime.

The Bulldogs are 5-11 overall, 2-6 in SWAC.

Texas Southern, after making 25-of-29 free-throw attempts in a win at Mississippi Valley earlier this week, was 18-for-37 from the stripe on Saturday.

The biggest problem they faced, however, was trying to combat the Bulldogs' multiple zone defenses.

Texas Southern started slowly, turning the ball over four times and missing its first five field-goal attempts.

Back