Bama State to get new stadium

orange tiger

Developers ready to build stadium

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

The price for an on-campus football stadium at Alabama State has increased since the developer sent a proposal to the school's president and board of trustees.

Frank Hawkins says the cost to the school has not: Nothing.

Hawkins presented his plan for a 30,000-seat on-campus stadium to ASU alumni Wednesday, and detailed his plan to build a hotel on the site of Paterson Court Apartments and build new housing for the current residents of Paterson Court.

"We're ready," said Hawkins, who graduated from ASU in 1961 and heads the F.E. Hawkins Group of College, Park, Ga. "It's up to the board of trustees and you. We could start Monday morning if we had to."

The stadium is projected to cost $28 million, will be built at the site of the current Hornet Stadium and will include new football offices, locker room and practice facilities, including an indoor complex.

The 145-room hotel will cost $25 million, bringing the project's total cost to $53 million. In a Nov. 15 proposal sent to ASU President Joe Lee and the school's trustees, the cost was $38 million.

Hawkins, who will own the hotel, pays for it.

"I think it's an excellent proposal," said trustee Elton Dean, who attended the meeting of ASU's athletic booster club. "What we have to do as trustees is come in, consider this with an open mind and look at the whole plan.

"Alabama State can do nothing but benefit."

Dean is the second ASU trustee to express support for Hawkins' proposal. Toreatha Johnson, the board's president, said Tuesday it was "impressive."

Dean said the trustees should meet "as soon as possible" to discuss the plan. If approved by next spring, the Hornets could open their stadium for the 2005 season, Hawkins said.

"I think Alabama State has needed (an on-campus) stadium for a long time and this is an excellent opportunity," ASU booster Edith Davis said.

The F.E. Hawkins Group has helped build subdivisions, condominiums and single-family homes in Georgia, California and Texas, according to its Web site.

Frank Hawkins said sites on Narrow Lane Road and Virginia Loop Road are being considered to build housing for the current residents of Paterson Court.

Hawkins, a former Alabama State football player, said he had spoken with influential ASU trustee Joe L. Reed about the project.

Reed, Hawkins said, asked about what ASU would have to pay and why ASU should build a 30,000-seat stadium. Reed did not return a message seeking comment.

"All of his questions were valid," said Hawkins, who was a year ahead of Reed when the two were ASU students.

"I assured him that the F.E. Hawkins Group has secured the financing," Hawkins said. "As far as drawing fans, I told him that as long as Alabama State does the same thing as Michigan, the University of Tennessee, Georgia or the rest of them -- and that's produce a winning record -- the fans will come.

"That's what Alabama State's goals have to be."

Lindsay Williams, the president of ASU's national alumni association, said Hawkins' proposal was a "no-brainer" after he spoke at a rally Wednesday night.

"When you have an ASU graduate who is in a position to make this kind of project happen, you have to consider it," Williams said. "I had my attorney and financial people look at it. They had some questions, but they all thought it was a great idea."

At the rally, the national alumni association started two petitions and announced it had created a political action committee.

One petition calls for Joe Lee to resign, while the other calls for the reinstatement of football coach L.C. Cole. ASU suspended Cole in August, alleging NCAA violations in Cole's program.

The ASU Future PAC will be used to lobby the state Legislature and Gov. Bob Riley over future appointments to the ASU board of trustees.

Cole attended the rally and wore an Alabama State football sweatshirt. He is awaiting the decision of ASU professor Kenneth Darrington after an internal hearing into his job status.

This is outstanding! I wish we had someone from JSU this motivated about our school. I am so happly for the Alabama State Family......

Originally posted by orange tiger
Developers ready to build stadium

By A. Stacy Long
Montgomery Advertiser

The price for an on-campus football stadium at Alabama State has increased since the developer sent a proposal to the school's president and board of trustees.

Frank Hawkins says the cost to the school has not: Nothing.

Hawkins presented his plan for a 30,000-seat on-campus stadium to ASU alumni Wednesday, and detailed his plan to build a hotel on the site of Paterson Court Apartments and build new housing for the current residents of Paterson Court.

"We're ready," said Hawkins, who graduated from ASU in 1961 and heads the F.E. Hawkins Group of College, Park, Ga. "It's up to the board of trustees and you. We could start Monday morning if we had to."

The stadium is projected to cost $28 million, will be built at the site of the current Hornet Stadium and will include new football offices, locker room and practice facilities, including an indoor complex.

The 145-room hotel will cost $25 million, bringing the project's total cost to $53 million. In a Nov. 15 proposal sent to ASU President Joe Lee and the school's trustees, the cost was $38 million.

Hawkins, who will own the hotel, pays for it.

"I think it's an excellent proposal," said trustee Elton Dean, who attended the meeting of ASU's athletic booster club. "What we have to do as trustees is come in, consider this with an open mind and look at the whole plan.

"Alabama State can do nothing but benefit."

Dean is the second ASU trustee to express support for Hawkins' proposal. Toreatha Johnson, the board's president, said Tuesday it was "impressive."

Dean said the trustees should meet "as soon as possible" to discuss the plan. If approved by next spring, the Hornets could open their stadium for the 2005 season, Hawkins said.

"I think Alabama State has needed (an on-campus) stadium for a long time and this is an excellent opportunity," ASU booster Edith Davis said.

The F.E. Hawkins Group has helped build subdivisions, condominiums and single-family homes in Georgia, California and Texas, according to its Web site.

Frank Hawkins said sites on Narrow Lane Road and Virginia Loop Road are being considered to build housing for the current residents of Paterson Court.

Hawkins, a former Alabama State football player, said he had spoken with influential ASU trustee Joe L. Reed about the project.

Reed, Hawkins said, asked about what ASU would have to pay and why ASU should build a 30,000-seat stadium. Reed did not return a message seeking comment.

"All of his questions were valid," said Hawkins, who was a year ahead of Reed when the two were ASU students.

"I assured him that the F.E. Hawkins Group has secured the financing," Hawkins said. "As far as drawing fans, I told him that as long as Alabama State does the same thing as Michigan, the University of Tennessee, Georgia or the rest of them -- and that's produce a winning record -- the fans will come.

"That's what Alabama State's goals have to be."

Lindsay Williams, the president of ASU's national alumni association, said Hawkins' proposal was a "no-brainer" after he spoke at a rally Wednesday night.

"When you have an ASU graduate who is in a position to make this kind of project happen, you have to consider it," Williams said. "I had my attorney and financial people look at it. They had some questions, but they all thought it was a great idea."

At the rally, the national alumni association started two petitions and announced it had created a political action committee.

One petition calls for Joe Lee to resign, while the other calls for the reinstatement of football coach L.C. Cole. ASU suspended Cole in August, alleging NCAA violations in Cole's program.

The ASU Future PAC will be used to lobby the state Legislature and Gov. Bob Riley over future appointments to the ASU board of trustees.

Cole attended the rally and wore an Alabama State football sweatshirt. He is awaiting the decision of ASU professor Kenneth Darrington after an internal hearing into his job status.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Now that's what I call giving back to the university!!

Thumbs up to Bama State and the Alumnus for supporting his institution!

I think this is a great opportunity for Alabama State!!! I hope they can make it work..... I just wonder will the College Board 'hamstring' them with Cramton Bowl. But anytime an HBCU alum can propose a multi-million venture at his/her alma mater, then that's a wonderful thing.......

I hope Alabama State gets the stadium, and the hotel... And the new housing for the 'displaced' residents.....

Way to go Alabama State!!!!
:tup::tup:

We sure hope so man....
Just waiting to get the final word from the buttholes. (Joe Lee & Joe Reed)

Narrow minded trustee?

Originally posted by Butch Wms.
This effort seems great for ASU.I wish them well and I hope some narrow minded trustee doesn't hold things up with foolishness.

narrow minded trustee?? you mean, Joe Reed?? :lmao:

Joe is my boy and all,, (historic respect for dis mug,, came up through the ranks with my parents in "the struggle" and all,,) but yeah,,, yall right,, if there is any way this proposal can crash and burn, it will be something having to do with Joe "George Forman"/"will never retire" Reed. :lmao:

Re: Narrow minded trustee?

Originally posted by Bartram
narrow minded trustee?? you mean, Joe Reed?? :lmao:

Joe is my boy and all,, (historic respect for dis mug,, came up through the ranks with my parents in "the struggle" and all,,) but yeah,,, yall right,, if there is any way this proposal can crash and burn, it will be something having to do with Joe "George Forman"/"will never retire" Reed. :lmao:
joe reed has outlived his usefulness. He needs to be treated the same way you would treat a horse with a broken leg.:uzi: joe reed

Back