Baddest Drummajors

IT DEPENDS

DEPENDS ON IN WHAT ASPECT IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT SHOW,NO SMACK INTENDED BECAUSE I KNOW ALL COLLEGE DRUM MAJORS ARE PICKED FOR MORE THAN JUST A SHOW

BUT IN THE SHOW CATEGORY I WOULD HAVE TO GO WITH
JACKSON STATE AND SOMETIMES GRAMBLING.

IN THE MORE SERIOUS CATEGORY THAT SYMBOLIZES THEIR BAND I WOULD HAVE TO GO WITH SOUTHERNS DRUM MAJOR.

jackson state in my opinion are the most creative and dynamic drum majors of our time.

su' drum major is the definition of drum major cause their is just one man and he leads the band!

famu drum majors are good but not as exciting or (as good) as the two mentioned above.
in my opinion these three schools have the best drum majors. to each his own! all three have different styles.

"honorable mention"
aamu drum majors will be in this catogory soon, if they continue with thier precision and stability.

it takes years and years to noticed. u just cant have one good year and call yourself the best. jsu, su and famu all have been around and built great drum major reputations and traditions over the past decades.

I feel what ya'll are saying bout SU but I myself kind of find their style boring. And before you say it yes I do think PV's DM are boring as well. As far as the best in the SWAC i have to go with JSU.

Originally posted by millhouse05
jackson state in my opinion are the most creative and dynamic drum majors of our time.

su' drum major is the definition of drum major cause their is just one man and he leads the band!

famu drum majors are good but not as exciting or (as good) as the two mentioned above.
in my opinion these three schools have the best drum majors. to each his own! all three have different styles.

Su DM & excitement.... :lmao: Well it is your opinion.

Originally posted by MACK OF THE SWAC
Su DM & excitement.... :lmao: Well it is your opinion.

Our one Dm out house ya'll stupid looking DM's (who trip) every year. Doesn't he. So what does that say about ya'll DM's?

IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE LIKE THAT REALLY. THE DRUM MAJOR DOES HIS ENTRANCE THEN AFTERWARDS IT'S THE BANDS TURN. DRUM MAJORS ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO OVER SHADOW THE BAND AND THE FOCUS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE DRUM MAJOR(S) DURING THE FULL SHOW. I THINK SU'S DRUM MAJOR DOES WHAT HE IS SUPPOSE TO. YOU DON'T SUPPOSE TO KNOW HE IS ON THE FIELD AFTER HIS ENTRANCE. SOME OF YOU ALL HAVE A HIGH SCHOOL WAY OF THINKING.

Originally posted by World Famed
Me personally I like UAPB's DM's and ASU's(Alcorn). But JSU and SU have alright DM's.

I saw Alcorns DM's in '97 and they were pretty tight. i hadn't seen then much since then.

Originally posted by usa today
IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE LIKE THAT REALLY. THE DRUM MAJOR DOES HIS ENTRANCE THEN AFTERWARDS IT'S THE BANDS TURN. DRUM MAJORS ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO OVER SHADOW THE BAND AND THE FOCUS SHOULD NOT BE ON THE DRUM MAJOR(S) DURING THE FULL SHOW. I THINK SU'S DRUM MAJOR DOES WHAT HE IS SUPPOSE TO. YOU DON'T SUPPOSE TO KNOW HE IS ON THE FIELD AFTER HIS ENTRANCE. SOME OF YOU ALL HAVE A HIGH SCHOOL WAY OF THINKING.

Come on now you can't say what a DM's roll is. At the inagrual parade OU's band marched in front of us and their DM's were poppn' 90's and twirling thier septers better than JSU's twirler from the early 90's. A DM roll is defined by thier band. There is no set model. Saying a DM should only do this or that is like some white schools saying bands shouldn't dance and we all know how ya'll feel about that. Anyway the thread asked who WE THOUGHT were the baddest DM's and in my opinion its the ones with the most energy from start to finish. Drumroll please.................................... JSU.

YALL GET STUFF ALL TWISTED I WAS REFERING TO THE MACK OF THE SWAC REPLY SAYING THAT SU'S DRUM MAJOR COMES OUT AND GET HIS 15 SECOND OF FAME THEN IS NOT SEEN AGAIN. AND I REPLYED THATS THEY WAY IT SHOULD BE IN MY OPINION. I DON'T LIKE SEEING ALL THAT EXTRA DRUM MAJOR DANCE ROUTINES AFTERWARDS THATS IS WHAT THE ENTRANCE SUPPOSE TO DO IT DEPENDS ON THE STYLE OF THE BAND FOR SOUTHERN IT FITS NOW ON THE OTHER HAND JACKSON STATES BAND HAS A DIFFERENT APPROACH, SO THE DRUM MJORS AT J-STATE FITS THE MODE THE BAND IS IN, AT GRAMBLING AND FAMU IT'S OK THAT THE DRUM MAJOR IS IN FRONT OF THE BAND DOING DANCE ROUTINES AND BECAUSE THE BAND IS DOINT THAT TO SO IT JUST DEPENDS ON IF THE DRUM MAJOR IS IN SYNC WITH THE BAND OR VICE VERSA. PERSONALLY MY BEST ARE JSU,SU AND SOMETIMES GRAM AND FAMU.

YALL GET STUFF ALL TWISTED I WAS REFERING TO THE MACK OF THE SWAC REPLY SAYING THAT SU'S DRUM MAJOR COMES OUT AND GET HIS 15 SECOND OF FAME THEN IS NOT SEEN AGAIN. AND I REPLYED THATS THEY WAY IT SHOULD BE IN MY OPINION. I DON'T LIKE SEEING ALL THAT EXTRA DRUM MAJOR DANCE ROUTINES AFTERWARDS THATS IS WHAT THE ENTRANCE SUPPOSE TO DO IT DEPENDS ON THE STYLE OF THE BAND FOR SOUTHERN IT FITS NOW ON THE OTHER HAND JACKSON STATES BAND HAS A DIFFERENT APPROACH, SO THE DRUM MJORS AT J-STATE FITS THE MODE THE BAND IS IN, AT GRAMBLING AND FAMU IT'S OK THAT THE DRUM MAJOR IS IN FRONT OF THE BAND DOING DANCE ROUTINES AND BECAUSE THE BAND IS DOINT THAT TO SO IT JUST DEPENDS ON IF THE DRUM MAJOR IS IN SYNC WITH THE BAND OR VICE VERSA. PERSONALLY MY BEST ARE JSU,SU AND SOMETIMES GRAM AND FAMU.

Great post.

YOU DON'T SUPPOSE TO KNOW HE IS ON THE FIELD AFTER HIS ENTRANCE. SOME OF YOU ALL HAVE A HIGH SCHOOL WAY OF THINKING.

I guess i was just responding to this portion of your post... my apologies if i misunderstood.

Well, TXSU's DM's have always been good. They hold it down every time. They are pretty persistent. So is J-state. I love their style. I wish I could go there just to be Drum-major sometimes. SU drumajor is cool since he is the only guy. I think if Su had more than 1 drum-major they would suck. GSU drum-majors just look tacky to me, and Pine Bluff's Drum-major's are a lil too sloppy for me. They have the height, but none of them hae no ryhthm

Honestly, my favorite drummajors in the SWAC are:

SU: because he is the leader of the band. Point Blank!

JSU: cuz they do what they do real well TOGETHER (although like some of them dances they have the band doin')

PV: cuz they are real organized on the band's entrance to the stadium. I watched a tape of them last summer and I was surprised at how tight they were.

HONORABLE MENTION:

Alcorn's DMs back in the early 90's were off the chain. FOR REAL!

I'll go with JSU, always kept a pretty tight entrance,
SU, 1 drum major, traditional, super tight, he can mess up and peeps wouldn't know. but he dosent.
UAPB, even though the band kind of run them instead of them run'n the band, but we do take thier advice. Real Peoples DM's
big up to the Tremendous TRIO.

GBNF
D.G. Steez

question?

hey i had a question that maybe some of ya'll SU cats could answere. Not trying to start any shat, but i heard once that your DM's don't have any real power they just march in front of the band. that the DM spot is just a feild position not really a leadership position. Is that true or is it just the opposite. i know at PV when i first got there the DM's had GOD like power, but it has gradually falln' off year by year. Anyway just asking.

Re: question?

Originally posted by solophone96
hey i had a question that maybe some of ya'll SU cats could answere. Not trying to start any shat, but i heard once that your DM's don't have any real power they just march in front of the band. that the DM spot is just a feild position not really a leadership position. Is that true or is it just the opposite. i know at PV when i first got there the DM's had GOD like power, but it has gradually falln' off year by year. Anyway just asking.

I don't know who told you that. I can't speak for years ago, but in modern times, SU DM's has lots of power and gets much respect. *reciting chain of command from crab week* :eek2:

WELL AS FAR DM'S ARE CONCERN, I HONESTLY THINK THAT THE TOP DM'S ARE: SU
JSU
GSU
AAMU
ASU (ALABAMA STATE UNIVERSITY)
ASU (ALCORN STATE UNIVERSITY)
MVSU

THESE ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT I HAVE SEEN, SO THAT IS WHY I DON'T HAVE PV, TXSOUTHERN ON HERE. NOW I HAVE SU FIRST CAUSE THEIR DM DOES NOT GET RECOGNIZE FOR THE JUOB THAT HE DOES. HE CARRIES THE BAND COMPLETELY BY HIMSELF. HE DOES HIS PART AND NOTHING MORE. JSU DM'S ARE EXCELLENT AS WELL. I FEEL THAT US, ALCORN, IS LOW CAUSE OUR DM'S HAVE NOT BEEN TOGETHER FOR A WHILE. WE HAVE THE POTENTIAL, WE JUST GOT TO WORK ON IT. I AM EXPECTING THE BAND TO MAKE A BIG COME UP THIS YEAR.

Re: Re: question?

Originally posted by StateTrooper2K1
I don't know who told you that. I can't speak for years ago, but in modern times, SU DM's has lots of power and gets much respect. *reciting chain of command from crab week* :eek2:

Well I know my crab year "Fall 84" Our Drum Major Andre Ross who alot of us older heads consider the best SU DM of all -time was no joke. Dre was not to be messed with. Frat was definitely a respected leader. Still thinking about that raggedy practice mace he carried. It use to rattle it was so beat up. Alot of crabs in 83 and 84 got a chance to feel the wrath of Dre at times. Some upperclassmen too. LOL

Now my LB Derrick "Oops" Moss( DM -85,86,87) was also respected and had control of the band. His personality was not as harsh as Dre. So some people would try to confuse that as a weakness until he put fools back in check.

So I think it really has to do with the personality of the Drum Major. He can be as powerful or as weak as he wants to be at SU.

Also back in our day we had Band Captains. The Band Captain was the HNIC aside of the Directors.

Chain of command at SU used to be:
Directors
Band Captain
Drum Major
Section Leaders/ KKPSI(which most of the time all were including Band Captain and DM) PSI ran the band back then.

Now since they have no Band Captain anymore, I think the DM position now at SU is even more important and respected. Besides KKPSI of course.
:D

well i come from a city where dm's do nothing but jstate stuff so i guess im tired of it...........actually i hate to see high school kids doin it cause it just doesnt look right..........see if you havent noticed.....jstate dm's are taller and more agile than these kids.....so it looks better.......anywaay, jstate dms are tight dont get it tangled and twisted..... but i prefer donovan.......i cant even imagine how much pressuer it is to be out there on that island by yourself with thousands of people watching you waiting for you to f*** up.....thats crazy.... but he always keeps his composure.... and to due who said somebody told him that our dm is just a field position.....GET REAL.....that dm has been through more stuff with this band than you can imagine...he gets the utmost respect and besides us(PSI) and the directors.....his word is law!!! you aint gone get wrong wit the drum major believe me.......

so with all that being said and jumping off the subject for a minute...... i believe donovan is the best drummajor due to what factors he has to deal with.............

Hey JR, Nice piece on Boss Ross. I am pretty sure he would loved to hear about the impact he had on SU as a drummajor and the drummajors that followed. He is in the Navy now but I will relay this info over to him.

Back