B-CC

Jafus (Thinker)

For Immediate Release Contact Person: Camesha Whittaker
June 23, 2003

B-CC?S PRESIDENT TO SERVE AS MEAC CEO CHAIR IN 2003-2004

DAYTONA BEACH, FLA ? Bethune-Cookman College President Dr. Oswald P. Bronson, Sr. will serve as the Chair of the Council of Chief Executive Officers for the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) for 2003-2004.

RELATED LINKS
Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference
B-CC Athletics

The MEAC consists of 11 Historically Black Colleges and Universities in the Southeastern United States competing in seven women?s and six men?s varsity sports on the NCAA Division I level (Division I-AA for football). As chair, Dr. Bronson will oversee the CEO council?s annual meeting as well as other called meetings.

?There?s no question that I?m excited about having Dr. Bronson serve as chair,?? said MEAC commissioner Dr. Dennis Thomas. ?He has played a vital part in the conference?s success for a long time. I appreciate the strong leadership he has provided during his tenure as president of Bethune-Cookman College.''

Bethune-Cookman College has been in the MEAC since 1980. Its football team won the 2002 league championship while its baseball and softball teams have won five and four consecutive titles and NCAA tournament appearances, respectively.

?I look forward to working with my fellow administrators in enhancing the experience of our respective student-athletes,?? Bronson said. ?Our conference is highly competitive on the playing field, yet supportive of one another once the contest is concluded.?

Bethune-Cook man is a comprehensive college, which offers degrees in liberal arts as well as professional fields, such as business, education and nursing. A United Methodist Church-affiliated school, the college has a diverse and international student population of more than 2,500 and a solid reputation for academic excellence. As evidence of its outstanding program, the College has been listed in the Templeton Honor Roll of Character Building Colleges and Universities, and it was ranked by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the ?Top 50? schools in the nation for black students.

For more information, contact our website www.bethune.cookman.edu

Back