AT&T Awards ASU Cybersecurity Grant for Students

Olde Hornet

I hope these kids take advantage of this great opportunity.

A grant of $25,000 has been awarded to Alabama State University's Foundation from AT&T and the AT&T Foundation to fund, support and promote high-quality education in the field of cybersecurity at the University.

The grant will support the demand for cybersecurity professionals, as well as fund a six-week-long Bootcamp for 20 pre-selected ASU students to help them study for, take and obtain the much-coveted "CompTIA Security+" certification (Security-Plus), which is among the most important cybersecurity certifications available.

"We would like to acknowledge AT&T and the AT&T Foundation for working with the University in promoting our shared goal of investing in Alabama State University's students through the awarding of this important grant, which supports cybersecurity in our community and nation," said Dr. Tanjula Petty, ASU's assistant provost for Student Success and Special Initiatives, Office of Academic Affairs.

The newly funded "Security-Plus" certification Bootcamp will start on campus Oct. 8 with undergraduate and graduate-level students from both the Dr. Percy J. Vaughn, Jr. College of Business Administration (COBA) and ASU's Computer Science program.

"The goal at the end of the Bootcamp is to take and pass the Security-Plus certification test," explained Dr. Kamal Hingorani, COBA's dean.

He stated that the AT&T grant will cover the examination fee, textbooks, and the administrative cost for teaching the class for the 20 students who will be enrolled. Additionally, a pass-award of $350 per student will be given through the grant for all students who pass the exam. One of the grant's goals is that 70 percent of the ASU students pass the certification test.

Thinking about picking up a degree in this to add to my resume but only if I can do it online. Since I work from home fulltime now I think it's probably a good time.

Back