At Black Colleges, the Baseball Teams Increasingly Aren’t

Honestly....black folks can't say nothing....we have taken over Football and Basketball at white schools.

That comparison isn’t an appropriate one when you view it from the larger discussion regarding black participation in baseball in general at all levels.

Plus we ain't promising baseball signees boat loads of cash to play for us and making our schools millions of dollars.

On the surface, yes it is the same but in the grand scheme of things it's not even close as far as that comparison is concerned

That comparison isn’t an appropriate one when you view it from the larger discussion regarding black participation in baseball in general at all levels.

Plus we ain't promising baseball signees boat loads of cash to play for us and making our schools millions of dollars.

On the surface, yes it is the same but in the grand scheme of things it's not even close as far as that comparison is concerned

Ok, if yall say so. But anyway.......

We gotta get back to playing baseball. We owe it to the Jackie Robinson, Curt Flood, Joe Morgan, etc. that paved the way.

Funny thing is I do know if there is anything more exhilarating in sports than going man to man in the batter’s box with the pitcher (60’ 6” away) having the advantage and the batter winning the battle.

We gotta find our way back home go baseball - forever America’s favorite past time in my book.

We gotta get back to playing baseball. We owe it to the Jackie Robinson, Curt Flood, Joe Morgan, etc. that paved the way.

Funny thing is I do know if there is anything more exhilarating in sports than going man to man in the batter’s box with the pitcher (60’ 6” away) having the advantage and the batter winning the battle.

We gotta find our way back home go baseball - forever America’s favorite past time in my book.

My opinion, baseball isn't "GLAMOUROUS" to a lot of the young black community.

Even more of a driving force as no race knows how to make a way out of no way than Black America.

In Houston the RBI academy is way away from the masses tucked on the backside of a park on the north side of town

That academy should’ve been centrally located so little things like that aren’t accounted for.

My opinion, baseball isn't "GLAMOUROUS" to a lot of the young black community.
You and Journalist are hitting the nail on the head with your comments. I'd like to add that there was a time when the big three sports had their own seasons. Football in the fall. Basketball in the winter. Baseball in the spring.

It isn't that way now and hasn't been for a while. While football and basketball still have their own seasons baseball doesn't - at least not in black communities. Baseball shares its season with AAU basketball. I'm not trying to shat on AAU basketball but it used to be a summer thing for good (sometimes bad but tall) high school basketball players that might one day play college basketball. Today, though, it has opened itself to all ages and to anyone that wants to call himself a coach. In fact, most teams that call themselves AAU aren't even associated with the federation. They are just travel teams that might play locally or regionally and there are so many of them its ridiculous.

The worst thing about the AAU/Travel Team thing isn't the fact that it exists but that it is in full swing when baseball season starts for our young kids (ages 7-12). Unlike the days when kids ages 7-12 played rec league football, then rec league basketball and had to wait for baseball season to start in April (with zero options to play anything else) kids today, especially the better athletes, have the option of playing basketball and they are choosing it over baseball.

I've been living where I live for 22 years. Its next to a park where a majority black baseball league plays their games. Over the first 10-12 years we lived here the park was packed nightly during the week once baseball season started. We would hear all the cheering, cars were parked up and down the streets that surround the park and our two boys played in the league. They had all age groups up to 14 years old including the 3-4 year olds in Wee Ball and all leagues had at least 8 teams. Since that time which is about the same time this AAU/Travel Team thing exploded, the league has been on a downward spiral in terms of participation. Today, there aren't any 13-14 teams and only three 11-12 year old teams and four 9-10 year old teams in the league. The All-Star teams have gone from winning regionals and state titles to getting trounced as soon as they step on the field at regionals. It really is a sad sight to see.

There’s no reason why HBCU’s couldn’t create/sponsor youth baseball programs for Black children in their respective communities and then follow those youngsters thru high school. They’d be introducing the sport to many of those kids, and many of those kids would wind up at our schools.

You and Journalist are hitting the nail on the head with your comments. I'd like to add that there was a time when the big three sports had their own seasons. Football in the fall. Basketball in the winter. Baseball in the spring.

It isn't that way now and hasn't been for a while. While football and basketball still have their own seasons baseball doesn't - at least not in black communities. Baseball shares its season with AAU basketball. I'm not trying to shat on AAU basketball but it used to be a summer thing for good (sometimes bad but tall) high school basketball players that might one day play college basketball. Today, though, it has opened itself to all ages and to anyone that wants to call himself a coach. In fact, most teams that call themselves AAU aren't even associated with the federation. They are just travel teams that might play locally or regionally and there are so many of them its ridiculous.

The worst thing about the AAU/Travel Team thing isn't the fact that it exists but that it is in full swing when baseball season starts for our young kids (ages 7-12). Unlike the days when kids ages 7-12 played rec league football, then rec league basketball and had to wait for baseball season to start in April (with zero options to play anything else) kids today, especially the better athletes, have the option of playing basketball and they are choosing it over baseball.

I've been living where I live for 22 years. Its next to a park where a majority black baseball league plays their games. Over the first 10-12 years we lived here the park was packed nightly during the week once baseball season started. We would hear all the cheering, cars were parked up and down the streets that surround the park and our two boys played in the league. They had all age groups up to 14 years old including the 3-4 year olds in Wee Ball and all leagues had at least 8 teams. Since that time which is about the same time this AAU/Travel Team thing exploded, the league has been on a downward spiral in terms of participation. Today, there aren't any 13-14 teams and only three 11-12 year old teams and four 9-10 year old teams in the league. The All-Star teams have gone from winning regionals and state titles to getting trounced as soon as they step on the field at regionals. It really is a sad sight to see.

Every 5-8 kid thinks they can cross you over and jack treys now. For every 1000000 of them 1 may go to the NBA when 50000 could be on someone’s baseball team

This ain’t a black people problem. This is a baseball problem. Kids are only going to be interested in activities that resonate with them.

And baseball, baseball players, everyone involved with the game from the youth level all the way up to the bigs, have done a poor job of making the sport resonate in that way compared to other sports.

If baseball isn’t made out to be lucrative and accessible and attractive and be willing to make a connection on a cultural or social level, kids and their parents ain’t gonna invest in it long term.

My sis-in-law's cousin paid for all sorts of basketball training and camps for her son ... who just signed to play basketball at VCU. Not saying that club volleyball and travel baseball aren't expensive ... I'm just saying that the extra stuff in other sports hit too, just not as hard as club volleyball and travel baseball ...

Expect if you're a promising quarterback.

I think we're in agreement.
I’m sorry you can’t compare football and basketball to baseball and softball.... my kids play travel in ALL of them....softball will kill your pocket... in basketball IF you good you ain’t paying ish... even trainers will train you for free to get their name out there. I spend 100 a week on pitching lessons by themselves in softball.

These kids believe it too, between them and the parents, they forget the real world until it late, when those contracts don’t show up.

Every 5-8 kid thinks they can cross you over and jack treys now. For every 1000000 of them 1 may go to the NBA when 50000 could be on someone’s baseball team

All them may not be thinking NBA though. Some maybe thinking college at least. And when you compare 13 FULL scholarships in basketball to 11.7 partial scholarships in baseball many kids will go for the full thing. Plus playing overseas doesn’t have the sigma that it had back in the day anymore. You can make good money(tax free by the way) even if it’s not NBA money.

These kids believe it too, between them and the parents, they forget the real world until it late, when those contracts don’t show up.

My son learned that very quickly when he saw guys older than him who only excelled in sports only to go to college and wash out because they could not pass classes. Now they are walking around in Haynesville smoked out.

Back