At Black Colleges, the Baseball Teams Increasingly Aren’t

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
Before each game, Clarence Carter III glances across the diamond as the opposing team warms up. He peeks in the dugout, scans the outfield and takes inventory around the infield during batting practice, counting how many African-Americans he can spot on the other team.

This is not an unusual drill for African-Americans playing in the major leagues, where their numbers have dwindled in recent decades, or in the similarly exclusive world of youth travel baseball.

Before each game, Clarence Carter III glances across the diamond as the opposing team warms up. He peeks in the dugout, scans the outfield and takes inventory around the infield during batting practice, counting how many African-Americans he can spot on the other team.

This is not an unusual drill for African-Americans playing in the major leagues, where their numbers have dwindled in recent decades, or in the similarly exclusive world of youth travel baseball.

Man growing up in Jackson, Grove Park stayed packed with many baseball games. Baseball was a huge thing growing up in the 80s and 90s. Its alot more than just baseball on why young black males are not interested in playing baseball. Today, you have alot more single parent households who can't afford baseball, I believe thats the reason why of thee decline.

Reactions: JR

Do the predominately African American high schools in the Houston area even play baseball anymore? I know in my home town in Alabama the local high school do not play baseball anymore.

Do the predominately African American high schools in the Houston area even play baseball anymore? I know in my home town in Alabama the local high school do not play baseball anymore.
What?! Really?! Local high schools in Alabama don't play baseball?! Wow!!

Man growing up in Jackson, Grove Park stayed packed with many baseball games. Baseball was a huge thing growing up in the 80s and 90s. Its alot more than just baseball on why young black males are not interested in playing baseball. Today, you have alot more single parent households who can't afford baseball, I believe thats the reason why of thee decline.

A lot of those single parents seem to be able to afford football or basketball for their kid, though.

A lot of those single parents seem to be able to afford football or basketball for their kid, though.

And afford them Js too. When folks talk about the cost of baseball, they get things mixed up. Travel ball adds costs, but glove, cleats and set of balls is still affordable. The bats are generally the most expensive item, but teams generally do fundraisers to get bats.

Folks be broke for what they want to be broke for.

Wheatley, Yates, Kashmere, BTW, Madison all have baseball.

What?! Really?! Local high schools in Alabama don't play baseball?! Wow!!

I did not say local high schools in Alabama do not play baseball, I said that the high school in my home town, which is very small, do not play baseball anymore. They did up until the late 70's. A new school has just opened last year, so maybe baseball will be re-instated.

And afford them Js too. When folks talk about the cost of baseball, they get things mixed up. Travel ball adds costs, but glove, cleats and set of balls is still affordable. The bats are generally the most expensive item, but teams generally do fundraisers to get bats.

Folks be broke for what they want to be broke for.

A friend of mine, who coaches summer track, says the exact same thing.

Those sports are cheaper.

Yep, much cheaper. In Dallas travel baseball is A LOTTA MONEY. All the tournaments, hotel rooms, food, you name it cost way more football basketball.
Same for soccer and volleyball. Notice, a lot of black kids start out in these sports, but the numbers decline as they get more into select, etc.

Yep, much cheaper. In Dallas travel baseball is A LOTTA MONEY. All the tournaments, hotel rooms, food, you name it cost way more football basketball.
Same for soccer and volleyball. Notice, a lot of black kids start out in these sports, but the numbers decline as they get more into select, etc.

Folks act like these 7-on-7s, Manning Passing Academys, football megacamps and basketball camps don't cost money too. Like all this stuff for other sports be free AF

Folks act like these 7-on-7s, Manning Passing Academys, football megacamps and basketball camps don't cost money too. Like all this stuff for other sports be free AF

Didn't say it doesn't cost money. I know it does personally and it's not even close. I've been to the football megacamps, etc. 3 years in a row, with my son..............also got a 13 year old daughter that plays club/travel soccer here in Dallas(up to 7-8k a year).. Even with traveling to unofficial and official visits out of town for football, it's not close. Volleyball is the WORST. Got a co-work who pays up to 10k and up per year or more for club volleyball. Find me somebody paying that much for football. Those sports IMO are designed to price "us" out. I've seen soccer , volleyball and baseball teams start with plenty of minorities.........by the time the real club fees hit and they start traveling, a lot of us drop out because of the price.

Last edited:

Didn't say it doesn't cost money. I know it does but it's not close I been to the football megacamps, etc. here in Texas 2 years in a row, with my son..............my daughter that plays club travel soccer here in Dallas........did the club baseball thing before.....trust me, Even with traveling to unofficial and official visits out of town know first hand football ain't even CLOSE to baseball, soccer and volleyball. Volleyball is the WORST. Got a co-work who pays up to 10k and up per year or more for club volleyball.

My sis-in-law's cousin paid for all sorts of basketball training and camps for her son ... who just signed to play basketball at VCU. Not saying that club volleyball and travel baseball aren't expensive ... I'm just saying that the extra stuff in other sports hit too, just not as hard as club volleyball and travel baseball ...

Expect if you're a promising quarterback.

I think we're in agreement.

Exactly! You can tell who played the game or not.

But people aren't talking about how pay-for-play is segregating the sport economically.

Quarterbacks, for instance, are rapidly becoming a higher-income position because the higher-income families can afford more of the trainers and send their kids on the camp circuit like the Manning Passing Academy.

My sis-in-law's cousin paid for all sorts of basketball training and camps for her son ... who just signed to play basketball at VCU. Not saying that club volleyball and travel baseball aren't expensive ... I'm just saying that the extra stuff in other sports hit too, just not as hard as club volleyball and travel baseball ...

Expect if you're a promising quarterback.

I think we're in agreement.
oh yeah I agree, it's gon cost you either sport you play these days. Hell I'm out 7k already for soccer and headed to San Diego for a week for a tournament. At least it's San Diego. :)

oh yeah I agree, it's gon cost you either sport you play these days. Hell I'm out 7k already for soccer and headed to San Diego for a week for a tournament. At least it's San Diego. :)

You're right. At least it's San Diego. Gotta get yours out of it LOL

I used to joke with Cletis Gordon about being in San Diego ... and that the Chargers played better when they worse the Southern colors LOL

Last edited:
When every parent stops believing their kid will get a college athletic scholarship, you'll see a lot less of this club/travel sport nonsense

When every parent stops believing their kid will get a college athletic scholarship, you'll see a lot less of this club/travel sport nonsense

Yeah but that'll never happen. I see it so much with club soccer. There are girls out here playing that shouldn't even THINK about playing club level soccer and their parents will continue to pay because they think magically their kid is gonna get better because they're on a club team. They're the ones living their life through their kids and don't wanna realize that lil' Sally just doesn't have it. And they have money to blow. If my daughter wasn't athletic and good at it, she'd be playing rec or focusing on something else.
Also, depending on the sport, if you're not in club, you won't be seen by colleges. I know for soccer, college scouts do not come to high schools to recruit players. They recruit at showcase tournaments across the country. So if you're not spending the money to play, club, you won't be seen. I think it's the same for volleyball. Not sure about baseball.

Back