ASU Alumnus Starring on New BET Sitcom

Olde Hornet

ASU Alumnus Starring on New BET Sitcom​

ASU alumnus J. Bernard Calloway (’97) found his first taste of success as an actor when he joined the cast of ASU’s performance of “Gospel at Colonus.”

Now, the theatre arts graduate is performing on stage, film and TV.

Calloway just landed a new role in the BET Plus sitcom “Ms. Pat,” starring stand-up comedian Patricia Williams. He plays the well-intentioned husband on the show.

“My role is about a husband losing his job at a plant in Atlanta; so, I had to move my family to Indiana where it is mostly white. The kids are trying to get acclimated in their new school, my wife is always going away doing stand-up comedy and I’m basically at home taking care of the house,” he said.

The storyline, based on Ms. Pat’s comedy and memoir, is about the comedian playing a fictionalized version of herself, a former convicted felon turned suburban mom whose hustle and resilient spirit were forged on the streets of Atlanta. She now finds herself in conservative middle America alongside her husband, a struggle of a sister and two distinct sets of kids.

BET Plus picked up the 10-series comedy that previously had a pilot order at Hulu. The pilot was directed by Debbie Allen.

Back