ASU Alumnus Kefla Hare: Educator and Entertainer Extraordinaire

Olde Hornet

http://www.alasu.edu/buzzing/default.aspx?id=&headlineaction=view_headline&headlineid=339

Kefla Hare: Educator and Entertainer Extraordinaire
3/13/2009
By Byron Walker, student writer

Like many who grew up during the 1980s, ASU alumnus Kefla Hare (2000) was a big fan of the hit NBC sitcom “The Cosby Show.†But for Hare, who always had dreamed of a career in show business, the sitcom was much more than comic relief. Bill Cosby was one of his favorite role models, and the show was a model that would influence his life.

“I believe that Bill Cosby gave me a sense of reality in that you can be black, funny, educated and respected all at the same time, while being successful in Hollywood,†Hare said.

Today, Hare is following in the footsteps of his childhood role model, starring in the lead role of “Hip Hop Harry,†an Emmy-nominated children’s series.

“Hip Hop Harry†is an Australian TV show that airs on the Discovery Kids and TLC networks. The program, designed for preschool-aged children, is similar to the popular “Barney and Friends†show. It uses age-appropriate hip hop dance music to teach educational, physical, social and creative skills to young children.

Hare didn’t step into the role overnight. His first taste of show business came during his college years when he was cast as a member of the MTV reality series “Road Rules – Australia.†After his stint on “Road Rules,†Hare was offered an opportunity to host a show on MTV, but he had not yet earned his degree from ASU.

I didn't know the series was Emmy nominated. Good shat Kefla!!! :tup:

I remember when I wrote an article back in 96 when he ran for SGA Secretary. :nod:

Back